Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile

Heretic Episode 5, Skill 5

From the text (I had more to say though!):

"Hurrah, Heretic is completely conquered in movie format and I'm quite happy with the complete package. Overall I think Episode 4 provided the most difficulty in achieving a decent run but this one became the most fun to play in the end.

Starting off, this episode is the toughest to begin; e5m1 is the toughest starting map and enemy cooperation is a blessing to keep a good pace. If they get bunched up in spots like the yellow key door and the upper cliffs then it's hard to make it though in decent time.

Also, I mentioned having trouble with the strangely finnicky e4m7 start jump, well there's another similar jump and it's the e5m3 jump to the iron lich platform with the phoenix rod. I have to do it twice in the run and even though I go through the same motions, it can be unusually hard to do it right. Thankfully I managed the two jumps properly in my upload run, but by luck alone IMO. :)

Lastly, the final fight... I went in with 2 rings and 2 tomes and was able to remove 4 of the 8 maulotaurs from the fight, but from then on it was still rough. I nearly walked over some fire trails (deadly), nearly blew myself up with the pheonix rod (you'll see me dodging between the teleport pillars while firing and I was damn thankful that I didn't kill myself, it gets pretty close at times) and I also got pinned down by one of them somehow, but at little loss of life.

Well, I thought I'd comment more since this is the last one in the series, and I dunno where to go from here. Oh well, I hope you enjoy the show as much as I enjoyed creating it. :)"

EDIT: I also thought I'd mention that I had the problems keeping my feet on the ground in the maulotaur fight at the end of episode 2 (getting major air time because of the fire trails while invincible, which is probably a zdoom thing) but this time I had the wings and held myself to the ground with them. :)

Also, another zdoom issue, perhaps it should be reported, but the episode 1 music is used by the port, while the original game used the episode 2 music, which I think was more appropriate for levels like e5m8.

hep5sk5.zip

Cool!

Vile said:

(getting major air time because of the fire trails while invincible, which is probably a zdoom thing)

Presumably the same issue as the higher-than-normal archvile jump problem I've noticed.

For me, the music has been a bit off in all these Heretic runs - the music goes quiet for brief instants quite often - possibly when there are explosions, or maybe it is more due to higher notes. In episode 4 it was bad enough that I turned the music off.

Yay!
But first I have to download 52.cab again....
EDIT: Watched the demo, very nice indeed :) I wish Heretic had another episode or two, then you could record more Heretic demos :P

Awesome stuff there.

This is by far the most craziest of the demos, but in a positive way. With all those enemies in the way, and the final battle against the eight maulotaurs, and the tricks used, this must have been the toughest.

This demo gets a 20/10. Great stuff there Vile.

OK I re-loaded my copy of Heretic. I watched the zdoom cab 50 demo. What a cool run! Just outstanding Vile.

Watching that thing with zdoom makes me wonder why I didn't try it again my self. Zdoom sure breathes some life into that old game.

OK, I spent a total of 3 1/2 hours on 3 occasions at 3d waiting to DL cab 52 to view the others. I got a 406? error and a failed DL each time. I am more than just a little frustrated.

Can someone point me to a link for cab 52 that I can actually use? PLEASE

Searcher said:

Can someone point me to a link for cab 52 that I can actually use? PLEASE

If you check your email you'll find a link to my site and the cab 52.

still possible to submit demos there

geocities.com/peroxyd2s

yes it's highly outdated, but I am working on an update that will feature a new hacked exe.

This hack is based on original heretic.exe v1.3 which main features are:
- no more quitdemo when exiting map (movies possible)
- no more quitdemo when a player die and tries to respawn
- multiplayer demos now possible (used to always desynch)
- longtics support
I tested it and it works great. It has been created by vv, like cph made his doom2 v1.91.

Download soon available I hope !!!

The update will feature some more demos including some movies and coop demos.

VinceDSS said:

still possible to submit demos there

geocities.com/peroxyd2s

yes it's highly outdated, but I am working on an update that will feature a new hacked exe.

Heh, wtf? I went by this place a while ago and it was down...good to see it back.

Vince then said:

- longtics support
I tested it and it works great. It has been created by vv, like cph made his doom2 v1.91.

The update will feature some more demos including some movies and coop demos.

All of that sounds good to me, very good. Can't wait to try it :)

The demos I have seen from Vile so far were very
good (Scythe map 30 uv-max is unbelievable !)
Will watch this for sure ;)

VinceDSS said:

- longtics support

Me too! I've always felt Heretic was the best DOOM TC, but that it was broken because of the demo code.