Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Thanksgiving

Just out of curiosity (again), what's everyone doing for Thanksgiving this year?

Thanksgiving is, for all I know, mainly a british/american thing.

I think we have something called "Mortensaften" here in Denmark where the traditional meal is roast duck, but I think that's another time of the year. So, no.

Little Faith said:

Remove the word 'british' from that and then you would have a true statement.

Sephiroth said:

cananada is strange, i mean october!

October is still fall. Canada, being northern and all, probably has to have it earlier because it's hard to be all "yay holiday" when you're FUCKING FREEZING.

Little Faith said:

yeah, we enjoy celebrating wars we lost...

o_o

Eh, thanksgiving wasn't about the revolutionary war. It was about us sharing a civil feast with the Native Americans at one point (before hunting and killing them throughout the continent -_-)

Little Faith said:

I think we have something called "Mortensaften" here in Denmark where the traditional meal is roast duck, but I think that's another time of the year. So, no.

Ehh, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Britain. Just Christmas for us.

Probably do what we do every year, have a nice meal, have people round in the morning, just the family.

Thanksgiving represents the slaughter of millions of Native Americans by settlers and colonists, therefore I'm against it.

But my dad is here for the week, so that's cool. FOr dinner, we will have the usual. Turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams (or sweet taters) with marshmallow topping, cranberry sparkle (cranberry/lemon-lime soda mix), and probably that one dish with those fried onions on the top. Plus plenty of gravy and canned cranberry gelatin to go around. And for dessert we shall have pecan pie and pumpkin pie. Damn, I love pumpkin pie.

I probably mistook it for some other holiday we mainland europeans don't celebrate. (All I know about it is that people traditionally eat turkey.)

Anyway, this is one of the many examples of a thread made by an american for the americans that gets trolled by all the europeans.

what happened to the fucking the turkey post?
i am sure alot of furries and rednecks do that.

i will be eating a pig, yes a roasted pig. havnt had one in a while

the_Danarchist said:

Thanksgiving represents the slaughter of millions of Native Americans by settlers and colonists, therefore I'm against it.

Maybe to you, but that wasn't what it was meant to be.

wikipedia says
Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated in North America, originally to give thanks to God for the bounty of the autumn harvest, and often more broadly observed as an expression of gratitude.

A large chunk of the Native American bit was just tacked on after the Civil War to help reestablish national identity (things like turkey etc). There was evidence of feasts held together between 'Americans' and Native Americans, but that was from back when America was still a colony. I've always found it one of the more pleasant holidays, bringing to mind more peaceful images from our history, yet at the same time it was just a calm before the storm. I am part Native American and I don't see why anyone would be "against it", even if it brings up images of indians being butchered that's not something that should be forgotten.

My brother (aka Lutarez`) is expected home on Wednesday for the Thanksgiving weekend, probably going to eat a huge ham with stuffing, crackers, and more stuffing.

Going to visit my step-family since I don't want to hang out with my real family. That's just fine with me since my mom moved away from home and my parents are working on a divorce now. I've already let them both know that I'll be living with my step-dad.

[/blog]

Ultraviolet said:

OMG I have fans!

there is a joke in albania about an american preist and thanksgiving.
it involves the preist being denied young boys and forced to fuck a turkey. this was a mocking of a man who had come there after WW II and was accused of raping young boys, surprise. he was forced to leave around that american holiday.

Sephiroth said:

there is a joke in albania about an american preist and thanksgiving.
it involves the preist being denied young boys and forced to fuck a turkey. this was a mocking of a man who had come there after WW II and was accused of raping young boys, surprise. he was forced to leave around that american holiday.

Fucking BRILLIANT!

Dinner with my aunt & grandmother. Last year I was stuck by my lonesome. :(

fodders said:

We call it "Good Riddance Day" in Britain.

You call every American holiday "Good Riddance Day" in foddersburg.

I'm doing nothing special, since the day has no particular significance in Britain.

I resigned from my last job on a Thanksgiving Day. The boss was American, and it was a major disagreement with him that led to the parting of the ways. He was in the USA at the time, having the traditional Thanksgiving dinner with his family. I hadn't intended it to work out that way, but his ever-so-efficient PA guessed what the (sealed) letter I'd handed her would be about, and accordingly he was dragged away from the table to hear the news. Probably spoilt his day a bit.

Little Faith said:

I probably mistook it for some other holiday we mainland europeans don't celebrate.

You Danes compensate for it by making a big deal of Pinse though, which no one else gives much of a toss about. I'm not even too sure what English word for it is. Whitsun, maybe?

IMJack said:

Dinner with my aunt & grandmother. Last year I was stuck by my lonesome. :(
You call every American holiday "Good Riddance Day" in foddersburg.

It saves confusion.