Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janderson

Doomworld Moments

I have only been around for a few months and i was wondering if I had missed anything big. What were the best, worst, stupidest, funniest and saddest moments in the history of this forum's existance. One thing I was around for was the Taylor story which sparked off a massive movement of Impse. Are there any other Doomworld Moments like this?

Ling quitting as webmaster (early Jan 2003) was a major event.

There was a bit of a catastophe once (early 2001, I think) when the forum database got corrupted or something, and about six months' worth of posts and other items were lost.

And then there was a time when a strange guy called Username turned up. He made a few utterly bizarre posts before vanishing. These posts are still being quoted on a fairly regular basis, and occasional attempts are made to decipher them.

Grazza said:

There was a bit of a catastophe once (early 2001, I think) when the forum database got corrupted or something, and about six months' worth of posts and other items were lost.

What? I'm pretty sure the forum software upgrade was completely intentional...hence the oldest forums still being accessible here.

One of the most embaressing moments I'VE had at least is when I spazzed out about people not liking my mod CUBE. I was like 13 or something and I threw a big immature hissy fit and "left" the forums for revenge haha. I was a whiner back then.

Grazza said:

OK, it was "just" the news posts and comments (I did say "or something").

http://doomworld.com/news/followupgen.php3?news_id=487

That's the reason for the gap described here, which is only partially filled in by web.archive.org.

Ohhh yeah, that is a bummer, especially since the first traces of my existence in the Doom community were in those news threads from fall 2000.

Ichor said:

Oh yeah, and let's not forget Katarhyne.

Heh, I fell for that one.

Of course. I forgot all about that one. Then there was the Doom64 TC flamewar back about a month before.

insertwackynamehere said:

Username was also Unicorn_X? That guy was hilarious!

No, Username wasn't Unicorn_X

Though people speculate bother were Lüt. But I havent heard him admit to either.

Ultraviolet said:

Did anybody mention impse yet? http://www.impse.cx

/me looks at the top of the thread...

http://www.geocities.com/theultimatedoomer/you-fail-it.html

Anyway, some more:

img-t|meline (whenever that was 'cos I wasn't around then either)
Someone posting goatse links for their 666th post
I made a poopie (anyone remember that?)
Wannabe newstuff reviewer showdowns (which didn't decide anything really)
Newstuff flamewars
Blogs being invented
The custom title superfest contest
The bbg train(s)
The newproject train(s)
The 'Looking forward to Community Chest Megawad?' thread
The 10 years of DooM celebrations (oh wait...)

Heh, I remember making a few poopies way back when. I'd say something ilke "In my I made a poopie!, I said that..." etc. Great fun... After that disappeared I'd still intentionally type "I made a poopie!" every now and then for myself manually. Just fun.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Someone posting goatse links for their 666th post

That was Pritch. For his crowning a achievement he recieved a record -666 posts broken only by Fredrik later on. He also got the title 'DOLT' which he wore proudly, proclaiming himself king of the Dolts. And just look at him now.

The custom title superfest contest

Don't forget the time before that when Zaldron got bored and gave out tiles for about a week. And of course the time before that where everyone who was on DW at noon on Saturday sometime back in late 2001 got a title from Ling. Heh...we had a record 30 or so people on the forums. There are still a lot of people whostill have their titles from then. Some people, including IMJack, got Dolted for not being on time and complaining about it. :P

Oh yeah, there was also:

he in fatman butt

cvcvcvcvcvcvvcvcvcvcvcvcvcvcv