Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

Starship Troopers on Doom3

PLEASE: NO NEWPROJECT TAGS. THIS IS A THEORY ON AN IDEA THAT MOST LIKELY WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

well, i'm a huge Heinlein fan (and was disgusted they compared the doom novel to starship troopers), so i was thinking, how about a 'faithful' conversion. kinda.

basically, everything there is in the book: the specs of suits, weapons, enemies, humans, ships, worlds, et cetera. so pretty much the early concept stages are there.

the full storyline is this TC is there, just elsewhere. instead, the player would be an unnamed infantryman fighting battles that were in the book, mentioned in the book, or never in the book. there would be multiple campaings and eventually a showdown resulting in the end of the war (which was never mentioned).

with the state of the technology, it's possible, but unlikely. for one, i can already tell a 'megawad' on doom3 is already going to take ungodly amounts of time to create. also, unless i don't get off their lazy ass ST DOOM3 won't happen.

what are your thoughts on this.

(why do i smell post hell?)

Why does everyone worry their thread is going to PH? If it's valid, don't worry about it. Jeez, it's not like the people in control here are assholes.

Mordeth said:

There's a excellent Duke3D TC of StarShip Troopers. Too bad I can't seem to find it anymore.

Yeah, I played the demo of that. It was pretty awesome. I need a better Duke 3d port :(

Mordeth said:

There's a excellent Duke3D TC of StarShip Troopers. Too bad I can't seem to find it anymore.

really? i'll have to get Duke3D and do some hardcore searching for that.

BBG: Good point, none of the moderators have been assholes, but like my fascination with death, i have a strange fascination with post hell.

if your hardcore searching for it proves fruitful, let me know, will you?

The Duke TC is good.

As for the book, I found it quite dull and a bit of a chore to read. Pages and pages of conversations remembered in word perfect detail, sometimes from years earlier, with an indication that the character remembering the conversations fully understood the subtle implications and nuances of each one. That was dull enough in itself, yet there was no real evidence that the character had anything like the mental capacity to do any of that. So the thing just fell flat IMO.

I did feel the book and movie complimented each other to a certain extent though. The book painted the world and the tech, but left out the detail of battle. The movie didn't really tackle the world in any meaningful way but did give you more than an hour of switch-your-brain-off-and-enjoy-the-violence entertainment.

It's a shame a few things from the book were missed out of the movie though: A wider range of tech than just foot soldiers would have been nice. Mention of "the skinnies" and a bit more on the nature of the bugs would also have been good. Also, a better range of weapons would have made sense too. (Apparently in the future there will be nothing between small arms rifles and portable nukes.)

When I saw the title I thought that it would be based on the movie. I have read the book, though. I rather liked it. Like Enjay, I also found it a bit dull.

I say it's a totally cool idea. I'd like to see what the enemies would turn out looking like.

On the subject of starship troopers those big fuckin insect things in HL 2 remind me of the alien grunts in starship troopers alot.

One of those links to the demo, the other link to the complete TC does not work. If anyone has a working link to the complete TC, please let me know! Thanks,

Mordeth said:

One of those links to the demo, the other link to the complete TC does not work. If anyone has a working link to the complete TC, please let me know! Thanks,

We'll I just downloaded it last night and fired it up it works quite well and its quite impressive I might add. I dont have a personal website or anything though so how could I get it to you its about 20 megs in size.

Mordeth said:

Alright, maybe try here.

Worked a minute ago. Damn.

How are you gonna get millions of bugs attacking all at once in the doom 3 engine without monstrous NASA computers? XD

*Would await flaming for not reading the books and only seeing the movie, but it seems this forum is a bit more open minded about that sort of thing..well with the doom books its understandable XD*

BBG said:

I need a better Duke 3d port :(

ST would be an OK idea... I never was really much into it anyway. The thing that grabs my attention is the idea of creating a really in depth mod with the Doom 3 engine. It just seems to apparent that you could REALLY bring your visions to life with this engine. So much detail...

OFF TOPIC - they make Duke 3d ports? You mean like ZDoom and Legacy, but for Duke?

deathbringer said:

How are you gonna get millions of bugs attacking all at once in the doom 3 engine without monstrous NASA computers? I AM A MORON I AM A MORON

A better bet would be the Serious Sam engine, or the new one when it's released next year - it will do everything the Doom3 engine can do, but with thousands of enemies onscreen at once. Hell, even the first Sam engine was awesome on the bug-count front.

the lone crouton said:

Serious Sam engine... it will do everything the Doom3 engine can do...

Most definitely not.

To clarify, I meant the next generation Sam engine, that will power the next Sam game, scheduled to be released 2nd quater 2004. It will almost certainly equal or exceed Doom3 tech, as will, probably, a lot of game engines that appear after Doom3 - it's called progress.

DOOM 3 is gonna be released in Q2 2004. I doubt any game in said year is gonna come close to it in terms of technology. You're just coming to baseless conclusions.

the lone crouton said:

To clarify, I meant the next generation Sam engine, that will power the next Sam game, scheduled to be released 2nd quater 2004. It will almost certainly equal or exceed Doom3 tech, as will, probably, a lot of game engines that appear after Doom3 - it's called progress.

Whoa, whoa! What makes you think that?

From the Croteam site, dated 22 September:

"we already have new Serious Tools in workable condition, along with Advanced Physics, Entity Compiler, etc. For example, Level Designers are now able to create much more complex level arhitecture, at least hundred times more polygons than in old engine, while still having an excellent framerate on mid-range configurations. All this will be spiced up with usage of advanced vertex and pixel shaders, dynamic shadows and lots of other state-of-the-art features. Also, Entity Compiler means more control over enemy AI, weapons, etc. and also it's going to be of great help to MOD community, as you won't need to have Visual C++ any more to create code for your MOD. These are just a few of many great things we already have in Serious Engine 2."

Yeah, I'm a big Croteam fan. I loved the Sam games, because they were so reminiscent of old-school Doom gameplay, and Doom is where gaming started for me, and I'm sure that Croteam's next engine will be awesome. But I don't want to get into a pointless fan-vs-fan engine debate. Particularly as I'm an id fan of ten years standing too... Each will no doubt have their merits.

I initially just wanted to point out that while the Doom3 engine wouldn't be suitable, by all accounts, for a thousand-bug's-onscreen-at-once mod like Starship Troopers, the next Sam engine would.

Doom3 will probably be released first though, and I can't wait to get my paws on the integrated editor... ;)

Zoorado: I think first quarter of 2004 is a more likely time frame for release.

Stupid serious sam fanboys. :X

I really doubt a serious sam game coming out even near the doom3 release will have even CLOSE to the tech. The first two were really far behind from "the norm" at the time, and the team seems more spam-maps-with-monsters than techie anyway. But who knows...

Not that I don't love non-stop action shooters, but sam's enemies and overall theme was so obnoxious I couldn't stand it. Bring on Painkiller.

The original Serious Sam was neat and the graphics were good. I think they're comparing the gameplay to DOOM more than the astethics of the maps - it had a very oldschool kinda "intensiveness"