Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Hell2Pay demos (new demoset project)

Grazza said:
This wad is proving popular; would there be any interest in doing a set of UV Speed demos (or some other category) too?

When I read the first posts I was interested and checked out the WAD to see if I would record something. Frankly, I can't see what all the fuss is about. In my opinion it's an utterly mediocre WAD in terms of map design. :-/

(Not that it matters, since any of the people involved with the max recordings could easily beat any time I would produce in any category anyway!) ;-)

It is mediocre, but that's better than shitty of course, plus the unique atmosphere deserved at least some applause. The new monsters suck though. :)

The remaining half of the wad is one of the bigger mysteries of megawad history imo... exactly how did it turn out after the demo levels? As much as I'd like to find out, I think PerdGate quality crashed after the demo levels, and being from the same designers, I wonder if the same was true here...

Cool, that it's completed now, I watched them all, very nice demos :)

Improved Map01 to 0:52. And this time with spaceships :)

I have not much time to play Doom the next days, so this is my last Hell2Pay contribution. Next stop ... let's see what Doomsday brings to us (Hell Revealed 2? I hope so.)

hy01-052.zip

Yay! Two out of four spaceships and a five-second improvement to what already looked like an excellent demo!

I've improved my map11 demo by one minute, but it still looks untidy. I found it very easy to die here (I know, feeble excuse). I think I'm finished with this map. Just map15 left to improve for me.

Otherwise, is there only cycloid who intends to improve upon demos already submitted?

hy11-459.zip

And here's an improved map15 demo, featuring a significant route-change.

Annoyingly, while it's OK with prboom and eternity, it desyncs towards the end with Doom2.exe. (mutter ... grumble ... think I'll go back to prboom 2.2.3)

hy15-644.zip

i lost my internet connection on thursday night and only just got it back. sometime at the weekend i got this demo down. thanks for your kind words re my first exit. it turns out that this map is a big fat muvva for missed monsters. i'd done two 11:57s at 100% a 11:27 at 99% then an 11:11 at 98% ! then an 11:07 at 99% ... boy oh boy was it getting to me. then after some food and a cup of tea this exit happened. <drum roll> 10:23... 44 seconds faster than my previous best. and i still thinks it's rubbish:

1. first 4 monsters take twice as long to kill as they should

2. a pinky that refuses to die

3. a caco that refuses to die

4. the secret lift i keep failing to find!

i also miss about half of the minor tweaks such as lining up seargents etc. with the ssg. if i knew how i reckon i could tool-assist this map into under 10 minutes but as it stands it would be very difficult to get all the ssg "single shots" together in one run!

HOWEVER i do make all the jumps first time, the best one is the red key jump, i'm actually on course to miss completely but manage to make a course correction during the .1 of a second i'm actually on it's platform!

hy071023.zip

just caught up with the latest demos, i really like hy05-546 ... 95% of SG shots on target even around corners, seargent after seargent after seargent and some good (if lucky?) lineups too, that's a well thought about and well put together demo!

cycloid said:

then after some food and a cup of tea this exit happened. <drum roll> 10:23... 44 seconds faster than my previous best. and i still thinks it's rubbish:

Looks good to me. The longer the demo, the harder it is to get everything the way you'd like it. The "demon that refused to die" was probably just bad luck with that weird blockmap issue. Maybe not much to be done about that, unless you can find a different place to fight that particular monster.

Anyway, I have assembled the demos into a single zip, and made a batch file. I have just watched them all using the batch file - it does all work.

I'd be grateful if everyone who has submitted demos for this set takes a quick look at it to check that I have used the correct versions - i.e. that I haven't overlooked any improved demos.

I'll make a general text-file too, of course. If anyone wants to make any further comments about the wad or the demos, or anything else, please post them here.

The file is here (231 kb).

Heh thanks though I think it could be better, there are many flaws in the demo, like with the demons at the end. Yesterday I spent some time trying to improve it but only got a 5:36 99% kills and TWO 5:46 matches. Maybe next time hehe.

yeah i knew it had to be some point-blank range bug. as for "choosing where" to fight that particular demon it's up to who mills about outside before i get back out there. which would have been different have i got the 3 seargents on my way to the secret. heh. i think i've thought of a microscopic route change and a way of provoking some more infighting. but i'm far too busy, heh

Grazza said:

I'd be grateful if everyone who has submitted demos for this set takes a quick look at it to check that I have used the correct versions - i.e. that I haven't overlooked any improved demos.

The times look okay to me, thanks. :)

i did an iddqd run in 10:10 including a cock up and the microscopic route change i mentioned before... hmmm, can i be bothered?

OK, I've been a bit slow about packaging this thing up.

I'll put together a basic text-file and send the whole thing to Opulent. I'll include everyone's text-files (i.e. the ones that accompanied their demos when they submitted them) in the zip, unaltered. Or should I combine them into a single text-file?

Anyone want to add any further comments to it? Or has anyone recorded improved demos in the meantime?

i stopped trying as it seemed everyone had had enough or done enough. i dont think i have time, what with mine being 10 mins an attempt!

Grazza said:

I'll put together a basic text-file and send the whole thing to Opulent. I'll include everyone's text-files (i.e. the ones that accompanied their demos when they submitted them) in the zip, unaltered.

Mine are fine as is. The text in the zip is all I need and I can't think of any additional comments.

Btw... thanks for taking the time. If you need any help let me know. :)

Grazza said:

OK, it's here. If no one squeals, I'll assume it's all OK, and that Opulent can include it in his next update.

Looks good! Thanks for your work. :)