Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

New CGW Doom 3 article

Lord FlatHead said:

That all sounds incredibly cool. I'm getting optimistic about the game again :)

Did you read through the spoiler parts too? I'm afraid I might take away a few surprises by doing that. Or is it stuff we've already seen or heard before?

-edit- I read the whole thing, including the spoiler parts. Yes, they do give away quite a lot, but to me it was worth it. I'm looking forward to playing Doom3 :)

Disorder said:

Did you read through the spoiler parts too? I'm afraid I might take away a few surprises by doing that. Or is it stuff we've already seen or heard before?

They contain spoilers about the story. I didn't mind reading it, though. It just made the game sound 500 times cooler :P

Shaviro said:

They contain spoilers about the story. I didn't mind reading it, though. It just made the game sound 500 times cooler :P

It was interesting to read how they solved the problem of having different kinds of architecture in the original Doom. A very nice read.

Disorder said:

It was interesting to read how they solved the problem of having different kinds of architecture in the original Doom. A very nice read.

Yeah! This explains the brimstones :D

Wow, that was incredible. Over time I developed the idea that Doom3 will be nothing more than a short run-and-gun (well, walk-and-gun anyway). Not that it wouldnt be enjoyable, but that it wouldnt really be too different from any other fps out there. This has really increased my interest though. Granted, in the end you'll still be walkning around and shooting things, but it seems that id has come up with very integrated manner of giving you information and objectives (Im referring to the PDA). It also appears that, despite the lack of a use key, there will still be plenty of secrets. And perhaps they'll be more meaningful than in the original doom.

I agree with you all. The storyline seems very interesting. After reading this, I want Doom3 even more.

I'm liking it, really interested.....

"Fisrt off you feel like in the setting of the movie "ALIENS", slow pacing, claustrophobic environments." PSST!! Why that's so surpising? It was because of ALIENS, id came up with idea of making DOOM in the 1st place...

I'm really impressed about what's been discribed on the per-poly "HIT" Detection on the Marine(ie. PLAYER). How the screen shakes and staggers wildly when he catches a good blow, disrupting your vision and aim for a brief moment...

Plenty of hidden sub-levels, and routs, possible Sub-plots mixed in the game. Yes, Yes thats good.

Lights in room areas can be shut off by the player, or for no reason turn off by themselves! DAMNED GOOD for the FEAR FACTOR, especially If your right in the middle of a fierce firefight!

I'm also relieved about what they said about much more zombie RARIATIONs, missing limbs, half heads, spilled guts, buring chared zombies, GOOD! Male and FEMALES! HELL YA DAMMIT!! NO BODY SHOULD BE SPARED!! JUST LIKE IN "PAUL VERHOEVEN" Starship Troopers film after the 1st failed bug assault, All those male and female SHREADED CORPSES displaided in plain view in the news, DISCUSTINGLY BRILLIENT!! In fact, they should even sneak in ocassional child zombies here or there within the game. That should really get under the "VIDgames Violence Control" critics skins! LOL!!

And about the ancient "Alien Gravelands" areas deeper in the bowls of mars? OH OH!! (They shouldnt've mentioned that!) And the mentioning of a alien weapon "SOUL CUBE" that can "ONLY" defeat the demon infestation? So much for the O'Mighty BFG being the most powerful "DEMON KILLA" in DOOM3. NOW WE ALL KNOW in order the defeat the demons we have to fight our way through the enemies backyard and get that alien weapon. A GREAT BIG SPOILER NO NO!! This ancient martians info also reminds me of the Novels that just about everyone here SHUNS!(LOL) Except that the martians made the "GATES" and artificial gravity and scattered teleports pads all over both PHOBOS and DEIMOS.

Hell levels looks just like outta "HR. Geiger's" mind. OF course! Why the hell NOT!? I'd bet Even HP. LOVECRAFT would give a definent NOD of approvel on this visual concept.

A JURASSIC DEMON so big that it takes up more than one screen to see it all? AWWW SHIT, WATCHOUT NOW!!!

About where they got the original doom shotgun visual from the toy gun displaid in the company front lobby. I'm just guessing, but that SG looks alot like the SAVAGE Model 30 riotgun or the Winchester Model 1200 Marine version. Remember peeps, this is only a guess......

Tsar,

Trasher][ said:
The Bezerker pack sounds like the Quad Damage of the new age.

Not surprising given the fact that the Quad is pretty much an evolution of the berserk pack, so what would be more natural than make the new (and updated) berserk powerup a kind of "berserker quad damage" thing?

The unarmed Jurassic demon is so big it can’t be seen in it’s entirety in one screen. While Scott can’t go into detail on what it is, he assures me that this isn’t the final boss

Damn, and they have 21 inch screens!

Question, Livo, where did that write-up come from? If from CGW, then remove it, because you're copying their article, unless it's on their website, and if that is the case, URL to it instead of quoting the whole thing.

BBG said:

Question, Livo, where did that write-up come from? If from CGW, then remove it, because you're copying their article, unless it's on their website, and if that is the case, URL to it instead of quoting the whole thing.

That's stupid, he already gave credit to CGW, it's not like he's saying it's his own. I don't see a problem.

i figure copying and pasting the article should be legally equivalent to a photocopy, so i claim fair use

This really DOES make me look forward to Doom3 even more.

Although, on the subject of bosses that can't fit on the screen: Serious Sam did it first. ;D

***Plot Spoiling Comment***
I think the idea of an ancient alien civilization beating the demons is kind of cliche/lame. Its pretty much like RTCW only in different context. Sometimes having the orgins/backstories left unexplained is a lot more successful in the horror genre. Silent Hill is a great example of this. The whole, the aliens fought the demons is not so great imo. It cheapens it somewhat.

Yeah. I totally agree. The first Silent Hill in my opinion is the best game to have a psychological story element that worked really well. Silent Hill's plot really made things twist and turn and left things unexplained. Doom 3 should have this sort of quality. The doom novels had a little unexplained elements that gradually built up to the very last novel, but we will see, maybe the plot in Doom 3 has those psycho elements. This is off topic but I still say Akira Yamaoka should be the musician for Doom3, his music would fit perfectly. Hands down.

Lole it's the Halo story! Wewt! But this is cooler because it's hell.

Scabbed Angel said:

***Plot Spoiling Comment***
I think the idea of an ancient alien civilization beating the demons is kind of cliche/lame. Its pretty much like RTCW only in different context. Sometimes having the orgins/backstories left unexplained is a lot more successful in the horror genre. Silent Hill is a great example of this. The whole, the aliens fought the demons is not so great imo. It cheapens it somewhat.

Considering how many people write stories, make movies, and develop games, anything can be called "cleche" because of being used. It doesn't matter if the story is cleche or not, once you play the game and see how Id does with the "cleche" story, you may thing differently. Or you may think the same. But its a bit soon to call anything cleche until we have our own hands on it and can see ourselves what they've done with it. I doubt Id would make anything cleche.

Fuck. read the whole thread, just to dicover that i allready responded (and a funny)to this 6 month all thread! This is a senseless bump.

I guess I would just prefer that it be someone within the UAC conspiring to bring Hell forth and let that be the end of it. The whole "Ancient alien/super being race" thing is tacky imho. You're right, cliche can be done well, I said that wrong. I just don't like the idea of Ancient Martians in a Doom game, but meh... I'm sure id will implement it as well as it can be. Not a huge deal, I'm moreorless concerned with the implementation of the character interaction.