Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

New CGW Doom 3 article

Here I was all excited that I'd found a new article only to realize the date of it after I'd read it.

Scabbed Angel said:

***Plot Spoiling Comment***
I think the idea of an ancient alien civilization beating the demons is kind of cliche/lame. Its pretty much like RTCW only in different context. Sometimes having the orgins/backstories left unexplained is a lot more successful in the horror genre. Silent Hill is a great example of this. The whole, the aliens fought the demons is not so great imo. It cheapens it somewhat.

Hm yeah, I see what you mean, but I'm thinking: maybe this plot point won't be revealed unil very late in the game and when it is revealed, maybe they've made it in such a way that there's still a lot of mystery surrounding it (i.e. you really still don't know jack except that it *seems* like the demons were defeated by this soul cube thing).
Revealing it late in the game would mean that you won't know much about what the Hell the demons even are for the most part of the game (it won't even be revealed that they're from Hell until pretty late as well) and that imo, would build a lot of suspense.

If we're lucky, maybe the journalist who wrote this thing misunderstood a few things slightly or maybe they've altered the storyline a bit since then; I know from personal experience that when you write a story, there tends to be a lot of details you eventually decide to scrap, because you realize/start to think they're crap.

I think it's worse that the Doom 3 demons supposedly have the ability to create gates on their own volition so that the Mars teleporters really only "provoked" the demons to attack, but I have probably whined about this already.

It's probably the best you could do. Leaving it unexplained in such away that you don't even have a clue about the cause sux. Are there really any possible causes of such an invasion that haven't already been thought of by sci-fi writers and don't suck?

LET OLD THREADS DIE IN PEACE, NOW YOU WOKE THIS UP, YOU MUST DIE!