Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

Emancipation

Due to a recent string of events which I will not discuss here until I sort it into a plausible storytime event that I deem you'd find interesting, I've decided to move out of my home into an apartment with two other people in about 3 months, and my girlfriend may move in with us in 6 months.

the apartment is three bedroom, 1 bath, living room and kitchen, on the second story of some buildings around the square. i've been in it before (it was one of the guy's brother's appartment, but his roomate moved out, so he has to move out too). between 3 of us the rent is around 130 a month, give or take 15 dollars, including utilities.

in order to keep the job i have so i'll have revenue, i am getting a car, a 1989 Pontiac 6000LX (i think, not exactly sure on the model), all it needs is a fuel pump and a run through the car wash. i'm getting it for 200, not including the fuel pump, but i can get a guy in auto class to get one with a discount so it'll be cheaper and put it in.

of course, my family isn't happy about this, but then again they play a big role in the whole reasoning i'm moving out (which, like i said, is a long story i haven't written out plausibly yet). when i told my mom i was getting a car she knew exacltly what i was doing. she also warned me that if i leave, i will be officially emancipated and never alloud to return home, which, as far as i'm concerend is fine by me.

stats: i earn 130 a week, i'll ask for more hours to gain a few extra dollars, the car is 200, a fuel pump approx 60, the rent about 130, plus gas, car insurance (50-90) and licensing fees (not quite sure in illinois), a cigarette habit and all those fun things like health insurance, school fees (when i have to reregister), groceries, et cetera. i might give up smoking for the time being if i have to.

so anyway, i'm asking for some advice, since i know it's not going to be easy at all, maybe some suggestions, tips or strategis to make this as smooth as possible.

thanks in advance!

Fisrt off, how old are you? From what it sounds, id guess 16 or 17? Only because, if you're only making $520 a month, you aint working full time obviously.

I work full time and make about $1500 a month. I own my own house, car...the whole deal. and i pay for everything myself. I don't slurge or spend unesessarily, and I still have a hard time.
(my mortgage is comparable to your rent...but doesn't include, of course, utilities)

Assuming all three of you guys work and make apx. same amount as each other, you could probably get by. I wouldn't reccomend moving out, personaly. But that's not what you asked. Unless you really wanted to ellaborate on your reasoning for leaving home.

advice: eat ramen noodles and mac & cheese

good luck

I'm in college right now, and I am paying for everything half of the time, which costs me about $3000-$3500, as my parents pay for tuition the other semester of the year. I live on Ramen and mac and cheese. THen again, I also have a meal plan, but I rarely use it, and I still go out. I work at my 20 hour a week work study job, and make $250 a week. Not that bad. I would suggest, to you, to either get a better job that pays more,or work more hours, obviously. Other than that, looks like you might need to give up the cigs, and not eat out too often. Drive only when you need to. Maybe buy a gun and rob a bank?

whoa, this thread steered off course... :P

anyway, sorry i haven't updated in a while, shit's been flying. got kicked out of my house the last few days, i'm back though. my sister was pissed off at me wensday cause i had yelled at her (with just cause, the dumb bitch was talking casually about me smoking dope with fucking teachers around, doesn't realize that the shit is illegal and you're not supposed to talk about it, makes me glad i quit getting high), then after school i was messing around with some friends and she was wining about wanting to go home and being a real bitch to everyone, so when we got home i got yelled at for making her pissed off, which pisses me off because anytime i'm sad, mad, depressed, angry, et cetera, i'm told to get over it but when she is that way it's 'oh my fucking god, poor vickie!' so i was pissed. i said 'fuck it, i'm going for a walk.' we live 8 miles out of town. my mom picked me up when i was halfway there and tried to take me home. we fought and i ended up staying in town the next two nights, i went to school with the same shit i had on the day before because i had nothing on me but my clothes and four dollars. i came home friday night after the basketball game (i'm in band) since i had to get up the next morning (today) and be at work at 8. so it's not been a fun last few days.

Quast: I'm 16, will be 17 in March.

i did get some information though, nothing much is new. we bought the fuel pump for the car with a kid's discount (he's in auto), haven't installed it yet, haven't driven it home since it doesn't have the plates or temp tags yet, but i do have the title). i was quoted on my car insurance for the car, which is an 89 Pontiac 6000 LE, which is goint to be a little less than 60 dollars a month (she quoted an SE instead of an LE), plus i'm elligible for a good student discount (suprise for me too), but that's with just liability and only one person driving, meaning if i hit a dear or get in an accident i'm fucked, which means i've gotta be extra careful (i've been extreamely careful since my accident). rent is 160 a month, including utilities. i earn approx 530 a month, which leaves a little over 300 left for other expenses (gas, groceries, cigarettes). the car will need new tires in about a year so that's not a concern, i'll probably be able to get them before the summer. i'm going to ask for more hours so i can work the max i'm alloud(s/p), and when summer comes along i'll see about switching to full time (unless i have to take summer classes to make up credits, which is doubtful as i'm actually doing my homework nowadays). i haven't looked at any sort of health or dental plan, meaning of course that if i break something i gotta pay full, never broken anything in my life and my teeth are fine. now. we're also doing an official emancipation, so i'm assming there are going to be court costs or some other legal fees, i'll call the courthouse or check the internet on this one (does anyone know, i doubt any of you are stupid enough to do something like this). i won't need to buy anything like clothing, bed/bedding, towels/toiletries, i'll have to buy dishes and shit, we'll all pitch in for any furniture we don't have, et cetera. anyway, this is as up to date as i can get right now because i'm at work and we keep getting in que. this actually took me about 3 hours to write because i've been answering the damn phone.

SC (MC)

scarecrow said:

my sister was pished off at me wensday cause i had yelled at her (with just cause, the dumb botch was talking casually about me smoking dope with funking teachers around, doesn't realize that the ship is illegal and you're not supposed to talk about it

Is this irony or something else? I can't tell.

AndrewB said:

Is this irony or something else? I can't tell.

there's a slight difference. i'm saying it being fully aware of potential consequences for my actions, knowing that if the wrong people find out then i'll have to suffer legal action and am willing to stick it out due to the fact that i have a strong will against the system and all associated with me are safe. she, on the other hand, refuses to play by the rules, simply brushing the whole concept off as a game, not realizing that if the wrong people find out bad things can happen, and would be perfectly willing to cooperate with the law. in other words, a CUNT (Can't Understand Normal Thinking)

Scabbed Angel said:

Is it that bad at your parents' house that you have to move out? That could really fuck you over in the long run.

well, my dad doesn't want me there and i don't want me there. quite frankly, if i stay, he's going to die, i will fucking kill him, i will not let him fucking treat me like shit anymore, i will not stand idle while his ass abuses me emotionally and my mother and sister just observe and continue to act like i deserve it. if i'm fucked in the long run, well, that's a risk i'm willing to take.

I'm sorry dude, a lot of people your age (no offense, I was somewhat that way too) react to situations that are rather normal, hastily. If you dad is an abusive ass (mental or physical) then its probably best that you are not there. At least steal a few from him and sell them to start yourself off a little better ; )

get rid of all the useless shit. itsa hard on ur own. stop smoking, cable TV and cell phones are not needed. smoking will piss away alot of money, and as i said cell phones and cable arnt needed. however i would sudgest a better job. i make around 200 a week and still is not good. save what you can. that my sudgesstion, oh and make sure your room mates do their share.

I moved out just before my 21st for two reasons :

a)Two brothers, two sisters, two parents and a whole bunch of pets equal one crowded house.
b)£200 quid a month in keep? Bloody hell.

So i moved into a crappy bedsit fairly close to work. Funnily enough, i lost the job two months later. Yay!

yeah, you dont need cable, nor a cell phone, the smoking wont work either, and while you're at it, I am sure that the marijuana costs money too, I forget if you said you have ceased smoking it since then, but if not, do, for it = cost money.

Also, join a union, and do some skilled labor, go through apprentice school, etc. YOu get paid so much more, esp if you are not going to college. If you do not go to college, go to vocational school, and then a trade school. Construction Laborers (the lowest on the totem pole) get paid upwards of $12 an hour in ohio. Unio jobs will also provide benefits when you can work more, and are over 18.