Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GotMeNow

Places in Hell

ID was pretty resourceful at finding the names of 'locations' in hell as documented by various religions, eg. Limbo, Mt. Erebus, Pandemonium etc. According to different religions, what are names of other places in Hell?

The city of dis is supposed to be the capital city of hell, or some sort of city in hell anyway

The river styx is a river of blood that runs through the city

Styx is also from Greek Mythology, a river that separated the underworld from Earth. Dis comes from Dante, as well as that particular use of the river Styx.

geekmarine said:

Well, naturally. Dante wrote far more about Hell than the Bible ever did.

We need a new "Dante" to come up with a less retarded version of Hell.

I find it funny that "erebos" means "darkness" when Mt. Erebus is probably the brightest of all Ultimate Doom levels.

• Tower of Babel (E2M8 Doom), is based on the Bible story when the people attempted to build a tower that reached to the heavens, and the Lord decided that this wouldn't work, and created languages, so the people wouldn't know what they were saying to each other (which is where "babbling" comes from).
  • Mt. Erebus (E3M6 Doom) is named after what was before there was anything, in Greek myths. Erebus was chaos and existed before the beginning, acording to the legends.
  • Limbo (E3M7 Doom) is a part of Hell, where people can enjoy an earthly bliss, but not one of Heaven, because they are good, but don't follow the rules of the Bible.
  • Dis (E3M8 Doom) is the name of the Greek underworld (which really wasn't Hell; it contained a heaven-like place in fact, and everyone went there).
  • Nirvana (MAP21 Doom 2) is a good thing (the highest state of bliss in some cultures), or methinks it could be a tribute to the late Nirvana, the legendary band with Kurt Cobain as the lead singer.
  • Grosse (MAP32 Doom 2) means "Large One" in German.
  • Genesis (MAP14 Final Doom: Plutonia), is named after the first book of the Bible.
  • Nme (MAP19 Final Doom: Plutonia), is literally "Nme". En-em-ee or enemy.
  • Open Season (MAP06 Final Doom: TNT), is named after open season in hunting, when you can kill everything on the list.
  • River Styx (MAP29 Final Doom: TNT), is named after the river that you cross to get to the Greek underworld.
I once posted this before, but it was less organized. I will probably add more later, so check back!

Little Faith said:

I find it funny that "erebos" means "darkness" when Mt. Erebus is probably the brightest of all Ultimate Doom levels.

I think it's funny that level is named like a mountain, yet looks nothing like a mountain.

Limbo (E3M7 Doom) is a part of Hell, where people can enjoy an earthly bliss, but not one of Heaven, because they are good, but don't follow the rules of the Bible.

I thought Limbo was the "reception room" of Hell - the place where the damned arrive. One certainly learns something new every day.

dsm: You're thinking Purgatory. They're often thought to be the same thing, but apparently not.

I need to try and read Inferno again some time. Maybe even Purgatory and Paradise, too.

I always understood Purgatory to be a waiting point for heaven; people go to Purgatory to be purged of the last of their sins. But maybe my memory is faulty.

Dis is also mentioned in Dante, as the city comprising the inner circles of Hell.

Dante placed virtuous unbelievers in Limbo (such as Virgil, his guide through Hell and Purgatory,) where they aren't tortured but are ever unhappily away from the Lord.

Mount Purgatory isn't exactly blissful; the souls that reach it are taxed according to their sins but unlike in Hell their ordeals can lead to Heaven... it's like a cleaning place for souls going up. The highest part is Eden where it's kind of nice but even there souls are reminded they are on Mount Purgatory.

Mt. Erebus is, like I've said before, taken from the name of the volcano in Antarctica, but some regular users here seem to go to Nirvana too often and, like, forget things.

Just search the Forums for more details, this subject has come up before in one way or another...

Dantes' influence in DOOM is evident not only in the names but also in the texturing and the general picture of Hell (i.e., the intermission screen for E3.)

Ultraviolet said:

dsm: You're thinking Purgatory. They're often thought to be the same thing, but apparently not.

Sorry no, purgatory wasn't what I was thinking of. Purgatory is a testing place you go through that decides whether you go to Heaven or Hell according to what I've learnt. Or maybe it's the place they decide what section of Hell you're going to - I'm really not sure, but I believe it to be the first I said.
Limbo, I thought before very recently enlightened, was simply the place where ol' Lucifer greets the new arrivals sayin': "Welcome my beloved playthings..er, I mean "guests" - today is the first day of the rest of your lives!"

I'll accept your explanation (and insertwackyname's) as the most believable and "likely to be correct" for now, since I really haven't kept track of these places since I was a kid.

I have heard tales about a place that's supposed to be located in hell that's called "The Needle Mountains".

It's a place with hills covered with sharp spikes.
And above these needle hills there is a narrow walkway.
If you go there you have to cross the walkway without falling down and be impaled by the spikes.

It's supposed to be some kind of test.
If you can pass the needle-mountains you are worthy of something. I don't remember the tale so good, but that's all I know about it.

insertwackynamehere said:

• Genesis (MAP14 Final Doom: Plutonia), is named after the first book of the Bible.

• Genesis (MAP14 Final Doom: Plutonia), A Webhosting CGI Program used by various sites such as VecTec LMAO.

EDIT: Sorry... couldn't resist.

i heard that pandemonium is sort of the capital of Hell, which makes sense if you look at its place on the 'map'...Limbo is supposed to be located on the edge of Hell...

Ubik said:

I always understood Purgatory to be a waiting point for heaven; people go to Purgatory to be purged of the last of their sins. But maybe my memory is faulty.

It is. It's basically good people, who haven't committed enough sins to go to hell, but are still not pure. They endure a taste of hell, and then go to heaven. Most people go to purgatory/limbo, I think, according to those Dante books.

Hmmm, thinking about that comment about Id taking a lot of inspiration from Dante for Doom made me wonder, do you suppose those trees in Doom are inspired by Dante's suicide trees? Kinda makes them creepier if they are...

Rivers of hell:
    Acheron (river of death) - there have been add-on levels by this name
    Styx (marsh of anger)
    Tom's River (toxic cesspoll of New Jersey)
    Phlegethon (boiling blood of murder)
    Love Canal (another toxic cesspool)
    Cocytus (frozen lake of treachery)

River of Pergatory:
    Lethe (river of forgetfulness)

insertwackynamehere said:

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Heaven? It's cooler, and less depressing in my opinion.

Because we define our reality through misery.

deathbringer said:

Heaven isnt in doom though..and besides, its full of christians

Yeah. All the cool folk went to Valhalla.