Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Burnov

The source port with the best dehacked support.

I want to know if there's a source port out there that will fully support just about any dehacked mods out there. None I've tried thus far have been able to support some of the more complicated dehacked mods like alien doom 3.

Usually if a port can't support a certain DEH patch, it's because the patch does something illegal, such as (in 99.9% of ports) using monster code pointers on player guns, or vice versa.

So far, every legal DEH patch I've used with my port, Eternity, has worked fine. I am sure there are a lot of patches out there that will malfunction or crash the game, though. I remember a Marine DOOM patch that tried to give monsters the player's double shotgun. It would crash zdoom if I tried to use it back then. You just can't do that.

I personally can't validate that because with Jdoom running the aliens 3 tc, it's just screwed up. It still runs but it's messed. The sprites are all mis-matched and eggs are moving around and their attack frames are facehuggers... the proxy bombs are messed and the animation is pretty much the only thing left since it switches between a muzzle flash and a shot of a guy holding an orange and grey disc.

Hopefully there's some other source ports that support dehacked a bit better.

I don't think JDOOM supports dehacked at all. Try Legacy, you'll love it. :-D

Quasar said:

Usually if a port can't support a certain DEH patch, it's because the patch does something illegal, such as (in 99.9% of ports) using monster code pointers on player guns, or vice versa.

Has anyone tried using codepointer 127 (the rocket splash damage) as a pointer in a gun? I've been meaning to try that.

Cool guys, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check on all of them and see what they can do.

All legacy needs is bex support, then it'll be 100% deh compatible... As for normal run of the mill dehacked patches, legacy works really well. It loads the deh externally or from a lump in teh wad

iori said:

All legacy needs is bex support, then it'll be 100% deh compatible... As for normal run of the mill dehacked patches, legacy works really well. It loads the deh externally or from a lump in teh wad

No, it won't be 100% compatible. For example, the Keen Death code pointer cannot be put on other monsters in Legacy (it can in Doom2.exe and any other DEH-supporting source port) I have seen a few Wads that use this and they don't play with Legacy.

ZDoom has great DeH support. And if you ever find anything it doesn't support, you can report it on the forums and Randy will fix it.

ZDoom even has EXTRA DeHacked stuff. =)

http://www.doomworld.com/eternity/engine/deh_ref.html

The ultimate DeHackEd/BEX reference (with a bent toward Eternity of course).

BTW, what is it with Legacy intentionally mauling features of DOOM with absolutely no justifiable reason? I can't believe there's any reason why they would have needed to make the KeenDie pointer not work with any monster. That's even worse than removing voodoo dolls. At least those were arguably a bug.

Well if it was that big a deal you think we woulda heard about it before this thread. :) AFAIK this is the first any of the team has heard about this and I don't see how it would be intentional.

though i still dont understand why they took out the voodoo dolls... I asked over at newdoom to no avail...

That could (and probably was) done by fAB and Boris so Hurdler probably wouldn't know. He just inherited the mistake. :)

Rellik said:

Well if it was that big a deal you think we woulda heard about it before this thread. :)

Maybe people who care about things like this have just assumed that the Legacy team made the changes deliberately and aren't interested in changing them back.

I'm sure if you started a thread "Which features from vanilla Doom would you like re-implemented in Legacy?", you'd get quite a response, as long as people felt there was a fair chance of it being acted upon.

Well at this point it seems a lot of people have just made up their mind to not like Legacy. I'll see that the team gets the info on that stuff but with them working so much on Legacy 2 I can't guarantee anything will happen on it for a while.

Rellik said:

Well at this point it seems a lot of people have just made up their mind to not like Legacy.

That will happen with software that has problems and gives users the impression that nothing is being done about it, no matter whether this is true or not.

For me the problem is that Legacy constantly screws up my system's sound settings (the only software that is doing this) and that for some reason the software mode is creepingly slow (less than half the fps as ZDoom or PrBoom at the same resolution, especially in highly detailed areas.)

So I honestly cannot recommend it to others.