Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Midi instrument editor that ALSO edits percussion?

Where can I find a Midi instrument editor that ALSO edits percussion? Every one I've found only edits the basic instruments and no percussion.

Help me! Name some if you can!

Thanks for directing me to Noteworthy Composer, but it doesn't let me change instruments.

Here's a basic lowdown of what I'm trying to do:
There's a song that has the Acoustic Snare in it, but I don't like that. I'm just trying to find an editor that will allow me to change the instrument to something better. Is there an editor that can do that? Most editors only allow you to change the type of percussion is, like from standard to power and stuff, but that doesn't change the instrument.

Percussion in MIDI is based in channel 10. Each percussion instrument is mapped to a particular note. In order to change what snare is used, for instance, you must find the note that it corresponds with; let's say it's D#5. Then you find the note that the right snare is; lets say that's B4. Then, what you have to do is find every occurrence of D#5 and change it to B4. Your notes will vary.

Where would I find a midi editor that would do that (besides noteworthy composer)?

Quartz AudioMaster Freeware is the one I use. Import the MIDI, change the snare to a different drum patch (eletronic, rock, whatever), and save it. also, when you edit the notes you can change the view so you know which part of the drum set you're writing a note for (instead of d5, d#5 or any of that, snare1, snare2, bass1, et cetera)

does anyone know how to program multiple drum tracks? i've been unsuccessful in doing so (as in, have one track an electronic drum set from the snare, bass and hh and another track a standard drum set for the toms)?

How do I select multiple blocks? I'd rather be able to pick up all of the blocks that just one.

Does anybody else know of some editors that can change percussion? I'd like to find the best one that suits me.

Most MIDI tables have several different percussion sets. While on channel 10, you'll need to change the patch (instrument number) for different kits.

I believe you can get different sounds at patch numbers 0, 8, 16, 24, 25, 32, 40, 48, and 56. I think they generally go like this:

0: Normal
8: Alternative 1
16: Alternative 2:
24: Electronic
25: TR-808
32: Jazz kit
40: Brush kit
48: Orchestra percussion
56: Sound effects

Bashe said:

Thanks for directing me to Noteworthy Composer, but it doesn't let me change instruments.

Read the help file!

The help file doesn't help me. It doesn't say how to change them.
Where should I look in it?

Let me see if I understand you correctly...you don't like the sound of the snare you're using? Well, you have a few options:

1. Take AndrewB's advice and try changing the kit, but according to your 2nd post, you don't want this. So...

2. Find out what kind of soundcard you have. If you have one that allows you to use SoundFonts, learn how to sample and create a SoundFont to change that particular waveform. I'm not a fan of SoundFonts or any soundcard like that, so I can't really help you here. Sampling I could provide some help with, but not with the SoundFonts. All I could tell you is if your soundcard supports them or not.

3. If you're using an external synth, find out if you can edit the patches. Then, either learn sampling or learn how to modify your external hardware's sounds. Just Google for this. Or if you happen to have a Roland JV-1010 or equivilant, PM me. I'm more of an external hardware synth person, so I'm a bit better in this area.

4. If you don't have either 2 or 3 available to you, learn about electronics and how to hack your soundcard and modify it manually using chips, solder, and probably a bunch of other stuff. Something I've never heard of being done, but who knows. Might work and you could go down as the first person to do this.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what MIDI sequencing software you use. I use CakeWalk Pro Audio 9 myself, but it has nothing to do with the actual waveforms that come out of my headphones/speakers. That all has to do with what you're using to produce the sound.

Actually, I don't like the sound of it and I don't like the entire instrument itself. If I change the kit, it only changes the sound, but not the instrument. How do I change the entire instrument off of Acoustic Snare to Eletric Snare?

Is there a quicker way to do that? It seems I have to move each note to a E, one at a time. Can't I pick up all the D notes at once and make them Es?

Thank you guys so very much! I finally found the editor that I was looking for! Songs will no longer sound like poop!

I must sing a song to thank you guys:
You guys are my best friends
through thick and thin
we'll always be together!
Were (insert number of us) of a kind
havaing fun all day!
Laughing around and paling away!
Just best friends!
Best friends are we!

I love you guys!