Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Why oh why?

Why is Doom3 $54.99 (And HL2 possibly $80.00)? The gradual inflation of PC game prices is a very upsetting trend. Also, I hope those rumors about pay-to-play multiplayer for D3 and HL2 are false.

I can't believe that people would be inclined to even listen to rumors that talk about pay-to-play MP for games like HL2/D3. If you can be fooled into believing that kind of crap it only shows how little experience you have with either of those companies (Valve/id) and how they do things.

HL-2 MP will not require a paid subscription. D3 MP will not require a paid subscription. Sheesh. By the same token, both D3 and HL2 can be pre-ordered for less than $55 (and certainly far below $80, unless perhaps you're trying to get a limited-edition special version of the game). PC games have not been 'gradually inflating' in price, the trend has actually been leading towards lower prices overall.

Where do people hear those retarded rumurs?

Actually, Valve is investigating some form of pay-to-play for HL2. Anybody who bought HL2 MP in a store will be able to play multiplayer freely, but Valve is thinking about introducing some pay-to-play system for additional maps/mods from Valve. People who play $10 a month will for example be able to download CS2 and TF2 when those get released.
The idea is not set in stone yet (and retarded IMO) but Valve is definitly considering it.
I got that info from halflife2.net, who got it from an e-mail from Gabe, but I'm too lazy to dig up the specific thread.

Ive noticed game prices have been getting cheaper too, a brand new game used to cost £40.00, now its down to £39.99, that "buy no games month" campaign (that lots of thick-as-fuck i-use-stupid-anime-language i-dont-even-realise-theres-a-world-outside-america twats campaigned against without even realising there might be a price difference between the two countries/continents) really worked didnt it! XD

I paid $60 when quake came out, so that price for Doom is acceptable to me. GTA VC was 50 something. Yahr! $80 and me thinks I'll find valve's game ship and pirate it matey! Yahr! Fuck that. I know its only a $20 different, but unless the game includes Half of HL3, no thanks. Yahr, Valve's sales will go to Davey Jones' locker!

doom64 was $80 when it came out, at least in a few stores over here. so have a few other games

as of right now HL2 is 80, yes it IS. however i can see this changing. the thing is that they are selling it as 2 different parts, 40 for just single player, 40 for just online and 80 for both. like i said this is the current planned way that it will be sold. why would i know? cause i work at a place that is gonna sell it and that is what we have been told by the companies. it is also listed on the ATI rebate.

however i can see this changing and them making it all in one type deal. if they do that $80 deal then i think it is a cheap way to milk a game.

games have stayed about the same price over the years, infact i would say on general have gone down. only the big names ask for big dollars. most new releases use to be about $55-$60. i remember doom 2 costing $55 and the same for quake 2. now $40-$50 is more common. even other releases are $30. also if a games suddenly gets big it can also increase in price. i bought half-life before the frenzy began for $30. i was seeing it still being sold for $40-$60 even up until this last year

The rumors about HL2 being pay-to-play are mostly regarding steam. I call it "semi-pay-to-play" because they're making you have to pay for all "official" (read: anything that wants to have a playerbase) mods, at least that's the most current rumor. It leads you to believe it, because really, why otherwise would they even of made steam if they weren't gonna profit off of it.

I guess the reason doom3 is retailing at 54$ is cause of the added poster/figurine? I dunno, it's not that much more than the standard 50$. As for hl2, well, valve's turned very whore-ish over the years I've found. I hope it sells for 80$... more reason for that pos franchise to die.

I remember several N64 games costing in the range of $80 when they came out...

And before that there was Virtua Racer for Genesis for $80...

But yeah, overall, the price of games has dropped, and I would pay $60 for the new Doom.

Yeah... the last time I saw a game for above the $50 mark was back in the SNES days when most of those game retailed for around $60. I seriously doubt that these two games will change that. But then again, what do I know?

insertwackynamehere said:

I've seen some games (like Doom II) in bargain bins for $10.

Well, I don't know, this might be a little out there but maybe it's 10 bucks because it's like 9 years old? I dunno hmmm yeah maybe.

the $80 deal with half life is a cheap move by valve to milk it this time around.

the game is really 2 parts. single and muilti-player. $80 is for both.
as of now this is the current price

games overall are really down, minus big name releases. new releases avarage around 30-40 US, while 10 years ago it was higher for most games.
like i said big names are the exception. i remember seeing diablo II for as high as $70 when it was out. Doom64 was $80 in many places around here for a good long time, so was golden eye.
most new releases for big name games fall into 40-55. some will jump or lower depending on populairty.

i still see half-life 1 being sold for 40-60 US here. i bought it shorty before it became popular for about $30 at best buy.

I dont mind paying extra if the game is exceptionally well made. Final Fantasy 11 rockzorz my sockzorz. Im in love with this game and it was a little more than sixty bucks.