Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

Team TNT Daedalus

Since they put that countdown timer clock jobby on thier site I bet the project was almost finished at that time.

Well, judging by Ty's posts on the Zdoom forums, he is certainly still aiming for that date. That is unless he has a heart attack or something before the release date.

Remember Ty, breathe, breathe.

Daedalus release in: 4 days 4 hr 28 min 47 sec :-)

Doom Dude said:

Since they put that countdown timer clock jobby on thier site I bet the project was almost finished at that time.

Let's hope so, but don't forget that it has been almost finished for nearly four years:

From the TeamTNT Doom2000 Hub 1 release text file 31 December 1999:
Doom2000 is well on the way to a complete release in early 2000

Well, we are still on track to release it on Wednesday. We have some minor issues here and there, mainly scripting stuff but it is very playable! I know I have played it so many times that I've lost count...;) We are in overdrive to get it finished on time, the punch team is doing their best. All hubs are playing great...stand by.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Actually Herian 2 (from way back in '99) was the first, but it was pretty terrible. Mock 2 was second, but it was... well, heh. But this will be the first ZDoom megawad without a 2 in the name :P

There was another terrible megawad for Zdoom released in 2001. It was just a conversion of a bunch of old levels, and wasn't exactly skillfully put together or anything, but all the levels were in ZdoomHexen format, so it was a Zdoom only megawad. :-P

Enjay said:

There was another terrible megawad for Zdoom released in 2001. It was just a conversion of a bunch of old levels, and wasn't exactly skillfully put together or anything, but all the levels were in ZdoomHexen format, so it was a Zdoom only megawad. :-P

Oop, must have missed that one :P

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Herian 2 only used mapinfo stuff and ambient sounds

That's it O_O? Couldn't it have just used Boom then? I thought that maybe the gargoyles it used were real ones, but I didn't know when ZDoom added Heretic support either. And I guess Herian 2 wasn't completely terrible, it just had a mix of so many themes it hurt my eyes.

Enjay said:

There was another terrible megawad for Zdoom released in 2001.

What about the 1999 release?

Anyway, I still think you should re-release one of the earlier versions of njdoom2. The December 1994 version is of considerable historical interest (first Doom2 megawad).

I thought Herian2 was pretty good, BTW.

sargebaldy said:

That's it O_O? Couldn't it have just used Boom then?

From the Herian2 document "READTHIS.TXT:

Don't attempt to play Herian2 using any executable other than ZDoom. It simply doesn't work. Herian2 may initially appear to work possibly with Boom or MBF but you will not be able to complete the game.

I always wondered exactly what the problem was.

Grazza said:

What about the 1999 release?

Heh, forgot about that one. From memory nearly all the levels were Zdoom/BOOM format though, but it did need Zdoom to run. MAPINFO and ambient sounds/ sound sequences for most levels IIRC. So maybe it qualifies.

As for the 1994 version, coincidentally I just happened to be playing the copy you managed to fix me up with tonight. It's the one that was in the RAR archive (you did link me up with that one right? - I know I got 2 or 3 old versions thanks to your efforts). Shame it doesn't have the docs or anything with it, but I actually was thinking about uploading it. Historical value is about it though. Some very embarassing (well, at least with hindsight) mistakes in there. I don't remember if that is the oldest version that you managed to track down, or if it is the oldest Doom2 compatible version. I'll look at the old copies I have kicking around and put up the oldest somewhere.

BTW, there is a file in that RAR archive called demo.exe I've no idea what it is. I didn't put together that particular archive and have no recollection of making a file called demo.exe (but I could have done). I hadn't even heard of RAR in '94 - if it even existed then. Whoever put that one together put the comment "Denna fil har laddats upp till TP44:an. Vi tar inget ansvar för dess innehåll." in it, but I have no idea what that means. Anyway, my virus scanner reports the demo.exe file as being infected with something. So if you have that copy, you might want to check that yourself.

Yes, I dug up that December 1994 version from a websearch in early 2003. No sign of "demo.exe" or a virus in the copy I downloaded though.

The message is in Swedish, and just says where the file had been uploaded to, and that the site has no responsibility for its content.

The version I have from my own old file collection (and which contains text-files) is njdoom2h, from February 1996.

Grazza said:

(about Herian 2:) I always wondered exactly what the problem was.

It uses the following ZDoom features:

ambient sounds
stealth monsters
fog
custom intermission texts on many levels
special monster death actions on non-default levels (and this is what breaks compatibility with other source ports!)

I believe I not only have the original version of njdoom2 plus text file, but njDoom as well :)

NiGHTMARE said:

I believe I not only have the original version of njdoom2 plus text file, but njDoom as well :)

You wouldn't mind digging them out for me would you? I'd like to get hold of them. I should have taken more care over my archiving.

Heh, when playing through the version mentioned above, I noticed lots of funny things. Like areas I had to simplify because a bug in BSP kept building invisible walls all over the place (though I didn't know why it was happening at the time) and the fact I didn't know how to make the map07 Arachnotron death special work properly, so my exit platforms just got raised by a switch. Ahh, happy days. :-)

I've got one of those NJ map sets here; one called nj_soh1 (an episode 2 replacement) dated July 10th '94. It's got the TXT and all.

Grazza said:

Let's hope so, but don't forget that it has been almost finished for nearly four years:

Maybe so, but it's nowhere near what we would have released back then. Enhancements to ZDoom have been... helpful.

I guess I'll have to put a FAQ in the package explaining a few things, among them how it could have taken so long. If I can figure out the answer to that. Still, better than abandoning it whenever the momentum faltered (not that I've seen anything like that, of course).

Now if we can get people to keep from asking about Ragnarok we'll be okay.

myk said:

I've got one of those NJ map sets here; one called nj_soh1 (an episode 2 replacement) dated July 10th '94. It's got the TXT and all.

Pretty sure an old version of NJ_SOH was one of the files Grazza managed to fix me up with a while back. I'll have to delve into my CD's to find out if it was. NJ_SOH was my first multi level release (on compuserve), replacing "Shores of Hell" for no better reason than id had asked people not to release stuff that would run on the shareware version (I don't think the -file parameter was disabled then). So, a lot of add on levels back then were for E2M1. My first WAD would have been released a couple or more months before that and I think is actually map E2M7 in NJ_SOH.

July '94 eh? and I'm still doing this. Damn, I really do need to get a life. o_O

Enjay: I'll get them to you ASAP :)

Ty: Heh yeah I've lost count of all the great new additions Randy's made since then. I mean, ZDoom didn't even have slopes back in those days ;)

Enjay: I don't have any old copies (i.e. ones I downloaded when they were relatively new) of your Doom 1 wads. The only njdoom.wad I have is a 3-episode wad, dated 02-Sept-2002. Probably this was from the "Sparky database", and was modified in some ways by someone else.

Cadman said:

Well, we are still on track to release it on Wednesday. We have some minor issues here and there, mainly scripting stuff but it is very playable! I know I have played it so many times that I've lost count...;) We are in overdrive to get it finished on time, the punch team is doing their best. All hubs are playing great...stand by.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Doh!

/me gets off ass to finish up moving ZDoomGL to latest codebase :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Enjay: I'll get them to you ASAP :)

Thank you kindly. :-)

Grazza said:

The only njdoom.wad I have is a 3-episode wad, dated 02-Sept-2002. Probably this was from the "Sparky database", and was modified in some ways by someone else.

Yeah, I think I got that one from you. That was the one where every texture in the WAD had been changed to something inappropriate, almost like someone had ran a texture randomiser or something on the WAD, with the "make sure none of the texture themes match the levels" option enabled. Strange.

Anyway, I still think you should re-release one of the earlier versions of njdoom2. The December 1994 version is of considerable historical interest (first Doom2 megawad).

Heh, I had a feeling you were the author of that. Ah, I remember playin' that thing all those years ago. It's on the Maximum Doom archive, ya know. If you want I can get it for you.

Grimm said:

It's on the Maximum Doom archive, ya know.

It is? O_O

Didn't know that.

The problem is I kept revising things. So the one on Maximum Doom may or may not be "original".

I know I released NJ_SOH (Enjay Shores of Hell), NJ_KD (Enjay Knee Deep), NJ_INF (Enjay Inferno), then compiled them into NJDOOM and then converted them to NJDOOM2, but I also released revisions of most of them. So you might find NJ_SOHa, NJ_SOHb and so on. I think NJDOOM2 got up to NJDOOM2H before I switched to Zdoom. Then there are a few versions floating around where other people have changed file names, or modified the levels. If I'd been a bit more meticulous in my archiving, I'd have a proper record and copies of them all. However, for a few years, my only copy was one compiled into an IWAD, installed in it's own directory.

Then there are the versions or levels that are lost forever: The original version of NJDOOM2 MAP17 was made in 1994 (my second or third level) and was meant to look like level 1 of the D&D game "Eye of the Beholder". Red brick walls, slimy floors etc (if anyone knows the game). I mentioned this in the text, and Compuserve rejected it in case I'd infringed copyrights somehow. Heh, could I have produced the first Doom WAD to get "Foxed"? It was certainly early in '94, so could be. Something similar happened with the map that became MAP28, which was inspired by E1M2 of Wolfenstein. Then there was my Zdoom versions of the secret levels from Doom2, originally packaged with the first Zdoom only version. These were the same Wolf levels as feature in the original Doom2, but made to the correct 64x64x64 grid and height and featuring wall graphics ripped from Wolf, sliding poly object doors like Wolf, and the original Wolf door and secret sounds. These were (quite rightly) rejected by Ty and I trashed them.

When DOOM was but seven months old Enjay said:
OK, here it is. The Enjay replacement for the shores of hell.

Enjay said:

I think NJDOOM2 got up to NJDOOM2H before I switched to Zdoom.

NJDOOM2H was dated 28-Feb-1996. You also released a version in 1998 that required no port (NJDM298A, dated 21-Oct-98). This included a lengthy text-file, featuring a history of njdoom(2) and level descriptions, and your plans for future development.