Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igor9

Team TNT Daedalus

Thanks to both of you. :-)

Myk, that does indeed look like a pretty intact and old, possibly original NJ_SOH1 The 1 in the name makes me wonder if there was an NJ_SOH and this might be revision 1 though. Whatever, it's certainly an old version.

Grazza, I'd completely forgotten about that one. Bizarre when someone knows more about me than I do. :-) I'd obviously switched to a more MicroSoft style of revision naming by that stage. I'm pretty sure that would have been the last revision I did before switching to Zdoom (although I'm sure you will post something like "well actually, on the 21st of July 1999 you released NJDOOM99B" ;-) ) I notice it has the newer Quake based MAP01 sans slopes, polyobjects and scripts of the Zdoom version. Man I went on a bit in that text file didn't I? It all looks pretty intact although, again, I have never released a RAR, so someone has repackaged it. I wonder if the time period between NJDOOM2H and NJDM298A was the time when it was only on my HD as a compiled IWAD. I remember extracting all the relevant lumps for a revised edition at some point. I guess that's it. I probably did the Quake map and thought I should release it somehow, so just repackaged the whole thing with a few minor changes on other levels too for some reason.

Enjay: here's a list of all your old wads that I have, along with file dates :)

my_1st.wad - 06/06/1994
down.wad - 07/06/1994
nj_castl.wad - 14/07/1994
njkd1a.wad - 07/10/1994
nj_soh1.wad - 10/07/1994
njdoom1.wad - 27/11/1994
njdoom2.wad - 28/12/1994

Let me know which ones you want and where to send them. Total file size is well under 4mb, so that certainly shouldn't be a problem ;)

So, what does all this have to do with Daedalus? :P

It's really rather interesting to think back that far, though, pre-Intarweb and all. Like remembering when people took a hex editor and changed the texture names on E1M1. It was useless and ugly, of course, but it was OMG A CHANGED WAD!!!1!!one.

And then the editors started being built, and people got out their calculators and actually figured out how to x-align textures (something id wasn't particularly concerned about sometimes).

Now? Bah, these kids have it easy. Too many features and automation, no real work to make a decent looking level. Pussies.

Of course, that doesn't stop people from creating crap...

At least you don't have to start your wad name with D2 so it'd be sorted together with the other DOOM2 levels in the Compuserve listings :)

/ex CIS Gamers forum sysop

Ty Halderman said:

/ex CIS Gamers forum sysop

Talking of which (silly question but...) you don't happen have a back-up copy of the Action Games Forum's Doom file libraries (before it got nuked), by any chance? Lots of stuff from there has never made it into the Doom Community Archive.

Ya..sometimes they can be pussies! The early days of level editing were hard as hell! With today's editors it's just point and click, drag and drop...etc, etc. But, if one little button is out of place or it's not real pretty looking according to their standards then that editor sucks.

So, what does all this have to do with Dadeleus? Absolutely nothing, get back on topic or create a new thread. I'm busy working on this project, testing and testing....sigh. Muhahahahahaha!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

NiGHTMARE, sent you an e-mail.

Re CIS stuff...

The Action Games forum had lots of interesting stuff. My friend, Mark Matheson provided me with 2 half completed levels that I finished and incorporated into NJDoom. However, he finished his own versions and uploaded them onto Compuserve, but that was the only place they were ever uploaded to.

There were loads of WADs that we used to get off Compuserve and use for DM or coop on the work's network (We had the luxury of access to a network, and made other people very jealous). There were lots of good SP wads too. I remember the treat of finding WADs that did amazing things like replacing graphics or sounds for the first time.

And yes, I remember files having to be renamed for sorting on the listings. What did Doom 1 (before Doom2 came out) have to start with? From memory it was DM.

"Of course, that doesn't stop people from creating crap..."

Yeah, but now it's a lot easier to create crap. In the old days we had to work hard to make our crap. :-)

"So, what does all this have to do with Daedalus? :P"

Daedalus release in: 1 day 6 hr 14 min 41 sec

OK, so we're back on topic. :-P

Cadman said:

So, what does all this have to do with Dadeleus?

If it was for early level designers such as Enjay showing the sort of quality architecture and gameplay that was possible for other people make to make, then Doom level making probably wouldn't have become as big as it was.

The on-line Doom community would only have included the odd DMer (sadly Dwango 5 map01 would probably still exist in some form, since it's author clearly didn't learn anything from the early skilled level designers :P) and demo-gods/freaks (delete as you deem appropriate ;) ), there'd be no source ports (or if they were they'd only be experiments by academics or something), you and I wouldn't be posting here (in fact "here" wouldn't even exist) and TNT: Evilution would never have been even a twinkle in Ty's eye, let alone Daedlus =P

Cadman said:
So, what does all this have to do with Dadeleus?

NiGHTMARE said:
...never have been even a twinkle in Ty's eye, let alone Daedlus =P

Auugghh! I knew that Daedalus was gonna be a tough one to see spelled in a variety of ways before it was all over. :)
What really bothers me, though, is these lines in the thread:

Beginning of thread:
Daedalus release in: 4 days 4 hr 28 min 47 sec
More recently in thread:
Daedalus release in: 1 day 6 hr 14 min 41 sec

And now:
Daedalus release in: 1 day 1 hr 58 min 48 sec

Breathe, Ty, breathe...

You should have left the name as Dom20000 - no one could have misspelt that.

Anyway, as soon as your countdown ends, mine begins: review completion in 2 days, 12 hours...

Ty Halderman said:

Now? Bah, these kids have it easy. Too many features and automation, no real work to make a decent looking level. Pussies.

heh, well I was using DoomCAD up until DB came out earlier this year, and I guarantee you that's a pretty hardcore editor :P And some of us have been mapping since back in the day. You might remember my mount doom project? It was a 9 or 10 level set for Doom2 I tried to release back in 96ish. Had a breakable vase and cloaked cacos :P At the end you fall into the pit of Mount Doom with "the One Ring" and then somehow end up at your home. You refused it for containing all the Doom2 sprites though :P It was a pain setting up a patch to make DEUtex do that for me, but I ended up losing the wad before I could upload it again :( You're the only one who ever played it besides me, assuming you did actually play it.

Ty Halderman said:

And now:
Daedalus release in: 1 day 1 hr 58 min 48 sec

Make that:

"Daedalus release in: 12 hr 16 min 20 sec"

Bastardos! I expected the wad to be uploaded and ready for consumption as of 12:01 a.m. EST today. Instead you tell me I have to wait another freakin' 12 hours and change? Don't be surprised if you hear from my attorneys!

(Just kidding there. No pressure intended.)

ReX said:

I expected the wad to be uploaded and ready for consumption as of 12:01 a.m. EST today.

Pfft. Expectations will hurt you.

Besides, maybe by "release" I mean I'll burn it to a CD and throw it out the window. "Go, fly. You're free!!!"

12 hours. I am so screwed.

DUDE, IF THIS SUCKS, I'M GOING TO....
Well, you know, do stuff. I can guarantee you it won't be pretty...maybe.
Anyway, here's to no pressure, NONE AT ALL, for Mr. Pillar of the Community, who need I remind you, will be releasing A BIG PROJECT WITH A LOT RIDING ON IT, but there's no pressure, none at all...
:)

sargebaldy said:

heh, well I was using DoomCAD up until DB came out earlier this year, and I guarantee you that's a pretty hardcore editor :P And some of us have been mapping since back in the day. You might remember my mount doom project? It was a 9 or 10 level set for Doom2 I tried to release back in 96ish. Had a breakable vase and cloaked cacos :P At the end you fall into the pit of Mount Doom with "the One Ring" and then somehow end up at your home. You refused it for containing all the Doom2 sprites though :P It was a pain setting up a patch to make DEUtex do that for me, but I ended up losing the wad before I could upload it again :( You're the only one who ever played it besides me, assuming you did actually play it.

That sounds damned crazy sargebaldy! I wish you still had that wad. Today would be a good day to play that....ohh well. DoomCad hardcore? Yeah I guess it is. I made a one man 32 lvl megawad with DoomCAD 5.1 Try making 32 maps with that awfull DoomCad nodesbuilder, which was only good for making interesting, colored lines appear on your monitor while you sat and read a book waiting for it to finish....... ahhhhhhhhhhhh! No wonder people go insane. :p I think I had enough of the olde school editors. I'm glad to have my Pussy Builder, I mean Doom Builder. ;)

Anyways I was hoping to be playing Daedalus by now. Ah I hate keeping deadlines myself as you think a month is enough time and BOOM your hours away from a release date and you still want to do a ton of stuff. Heh.

Yeah I feel like I've earned getting to retire with a nice pussy editor now :) Speaking of which I'll hopefully have my Dec 10 wad out here eventually.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, Herian 2 only used mapinfo stuff and ambient sounds so it wasn't really ZDoom in the context of today's ZDoom wads. (it still rocks, though)

Well yeah, but in two years Daedalus won't be "ZDoom in the context of today's ZDoom wads" because it won't have 32 bit color or ROR or MD3 models or any new scripted weapons or monsters.

Nanami said:

Well yeah, but in two years Daedalus won't be "ZDoom in the context of today's ZDoom wads" because it won't have 32 bit color or ROR or MD3 models

I doubt ZDoom will go that far, as it is meant to look like original DooM in terms of graphics. Besides, that's what ZDoomGL is for...

(it would miss the doomscript of course but I'm sure the difference between Daedalus and WaitForDoomScriptIsOver.wad won't be as great as the difference between Daedalus and Herian 2)

37 minutes and 30 sec.

Ah, shit! It's getting near my bed time. Should I break the rules and wait up, or should I just wait until tomorrow? Time will tell.

;)

Wait up! I'm gonna stay up and at least play the first map. ;) Hope all us doomers downloading it don't set the server ablaze. :p Assuming its ready for release......

Daedalus release in: -1 days -1 hr -8 min -4 sec

Great... I knew I shouldn't be awake right now, also nothing at all at 3darchives ftp :(

*returns from lurking*

This is what I've been waiting for about 4 years! I can't wait to play it. I don't care if it is a bit late, either... just as long as it is released.

smoffo said:

I don't care if it is a bit late, either... just as long as it is released.

How does another 5 years sound