Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Creating a new sound

How do I create a new sound for Doom? I tried using XWE by making a new sound, putting the sound effect in it's place, but how do I set it to what I want. I'm trying to make a new chaingun sound (just chaingun, not pistol, too), but I don't know how to set this sound to it.

The sound has to be set at 11 kHz (8 bit mono; yea, that's pretty piss poor), and if you are trying to replace sounds, then you must rename the new sounds to have the same name as the old sounds.
By the way, the chaingun sound is the pistol sound, so you cannot replace just one afaik.

EDIT: I don't think Doom has support for any sounds with a sampling rate of over 11 kHz. I might be wrong, but I remember when I converted some Half-Life sounds, Doom95 kept telling me "11 kHz Mono kthx!!... 11 KHz mono!!@#"

Some ports - Zdoom for definite - allows you to change the chaingun sound independantly of the pistol sound. What's more, you should be able to use better quality sound samples too.

However, if your mod is intended for vanilla doom, the answer you have already received is correct.

I'm using Zdoom! How do I change it independently? I don't want to have to change the pistol, too.

Also, it is possible to make new guns by adding some sprites for it?

Or will I have to go "Deep into the Code?"
Ha! Notice how I threw a Doom reference in there?

Put your sound in a WAD. Make a text file. In the text file put the following text:

weapons/chngun			dspistol
Change the word "dspistol" to be the same as the name of your new chaingun sound lump. Save the text file then insert it into a WAD and give it a lump name of SNDINFO. Load your WAD and give it a try.