Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oscillik

Macintosh minimum specs

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any clue as to what the minimum specs are for Macintosh systems??

I have an iBook 900MHz, 640MB RAM, 32MB Radeon 7500 Graphics Card.

Does anyone reckon it'd run?

I'm DESPERATE to play this when it gets out!!!

Thanks guys.

oscillik

Although it likely will run it will run like crap (I'd say 20 FPS at best). Maybe if you disable all of the fancy effects you'll get somewhat playable framerates but there's not much fun in that.

EDIT: It might not suck to allow people to delete their own posts, especially with this issue everyone has where it takes an hour to load a page after pressing the post button. Just a thought.

This is all you have to do. Pick up that big expensive mac paperweight and throw it in the trash. Then go buy a nice new PC because a mac will never handle DOOM3. At least not for another 5-7 years anyway LOL!LOL!LOL!

Newbie moron :> Thats close to pc system specs for running doom 3. Hello have you played it yet? are you ub3r l33t cause your mom is gettin you a compaq for christmas?

sniperfrommars1 said:

Newbie moron :>

*click*

"Hello, is this the Kettle residence? I'm calling on behalf of Pot. I just wanted to let you know that you are black."

i dout it will run well at all on an Ibook. a normal desktop apple should run it. dont get hopes up about a laptop

Ultraviolet said:

*click*

"Hello, is this the Kettle residence? I'm calling on behalf of Pot. I just wanted to let you know that you are black."

Well said and ill agree im being a bit harsh but hes trolling for no reason and im a big supporter of macs so Ill apologize for being harsh but tha rest of ya kettle slingers can stuff it ;)

[FOX15th]SHRIKE said:
This is all you have to do. Pick up that big expensive mac paperweight and throw it in the trash. Then go buy a nice new PC because a mac will never handle DOOM3. At least not for another 5-7 years anyway LOL!LOL!LOL!

Sorry to get a bit defensive with being a newbie and all, but as far as I can remember id coded DOOM3 on Apple hardware....Yes if I remeber corectly, the very first footage from an E3 ages ago was stuff done on a Mac.

Anyways, RISC processors are better than the x86 architecture anyways. And OS X beats XP any day.

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself, fool

Sephiroth said:

i dout it will run well at all on an Ibook. a normal desktop apple should run it. dont get hopes up about a laptop

yeah, I kinda guessed that it wouldn't run on my iBook. I would really have loved to get a Powerbook, but I had to make do with my iBook. Oh well, I was just hoping against all hope that I oculd run it at playable speed/detail (my definition of playable, is good framerate and medium effects)

everything sounds good on the ibook except the video. that's gonna be the bottleneck. as far as mac vs pc goes, mac wins in the hardware game. especially since u can pretty much use any vid card in macs that u can in pcs (excluding lappy's of course). I don't know what logic some of u are using, but the last time i checked 64 bit RISC > 32 bit x86 cpu's (excludeing the Athlon-64 which doom3 will not utilize). and yes, excpet for mac's notoriously gay ass interfaces on their OS's, they are way more stable than micro$oft's os's anyday. of couse i would prefer Linux over them all, n in a perfect world i'd have a mac running the PPC kernel, but imma broke college student. *sniff*

Please type 'n English 'n shit, u bad typr u.

The reason MacOS is stable is because it's made specifically for Mac hardware, all proprietary, all made by the same folks. The reason MS software (and Linux even for that matter) is less so is because it fits the computer loosely enough that it can run with just about any hardware. It isn't designed to work perfectly with everything, as that would be impossible. It is only designed to work according to hardware standards. How many people determine standards for a Mac? I can count the parties involved on one finger. How many people are involved in setting standards for PC hardware? It was that everything had to be "IBM compabible," but I haven't seen that term used as much in the past few years. More and more people are designing mostly standard hardware with a few special features and such that have to be supported by additional drivers. Making that all compatible with various operating systems when you're dealing with several seperate (and all keeping certain information as corporate secrets) organizations is quite a task as it becomes a matter of corporate relations, who can pay the most money for the necessary information, whether or not both organizations profit from it...

That's the price that I pay to use a PC. I buy flexibility.

EDIT: Pardon the rant, and know that the intent was not to put down your technological ideals.

And I'll note in addition that the current x86 processors blow anything Apple's currently using out of the water, in price AND performance, even the Intel offerings.

Arioch said:

And I'll note in addition that the current x86 processors blow anything Apple's currently using out of the water, in price AND performance, even the Intel offerings.

For once I'm going to point out the benefit of capitalism as an extension of my own argument (and Arioch's) -- x86 processors are better because of competition. There is no competition to make better Mac processors, only to make what the end-user sees about the computer seem better than what the average PC user puts together for himself or buys from Compaq or Dell. That's where the look of Mac computers, both the case and the OS, comes in.

The x86 processor market is somewhere where capitalism seems to be beneficial, even to me. (You'll understand the funny if you read my cooling thread.)

Apple is something of a boutique computer company. It appeals to the graphic design field and elitist users through a sort of snob appeal, bolstered by it's well-earned reputation as the best you could get back in the day, short of Unix-based systems (but they were command-line only, like DOS, and nowhere as easy to use as MACs). So if a consumer wanted the best computer that (a reasonable amount of) money could buy, with the best operating system around, they bought a MAC.

If Steve Jobs, or his successors, had ported their code to the Intel platform back when Windows was an infant (pre-95), as they were thinking of doing, we'd all be working MACs today, because, frankly, the MAC OS blew Windows 3.1 out of the water and past the moon.

I think, in spite of having Jobs back at the helm, Apple is, a) a little timid about going out into the deep waters with the big boys, and b) is playing chiefly to it's core market of graphic designers, who don't require fantastic video fill rates. Apple better watch out, though, because heretofor it's been an OpenGL groupie, but DirectX looks to be edging ahead, and then what will happen?

Don't get me wrong - I love MACs, having learned on them and used them for years (I'm a graphic designer myself) - I still use one on a daily basis for my work, but for games I have a custom Windows/Intel system I put together myself (with a little help), and, after repeated upgrades, it now blows the MAC out of the water and at least into the lower stratosphere.

It may take a while, but unless Apple takes games and gaming more seriously, it's going to end up like the Sony Betamax, which was also the best in it's day...

[FOX15th]SHRIKE said:

And people wonder why I hate everyone...

Actually, the Mac's biggest bottleneck is it's video. If you want to stay with the Mac, try to get hold of a G5, if you can stand to look at the minimalist industrial style case (they start at about $1800 now, but I'd go for the dual 2GH @ $3000, if I were you, paying for it over the next three years) and install an ATI Radeon 9800 (not the XT - no one will need that much power for a year or two). Then at least you'll be in the running. The 128MB version of the card can be picked up through Pricewatch (pricewatch.com) for less than $150.00. The Mac, being a Mac, will not be available for less.

Why Apple doesn't come out with a gaming machine I don't know.

Now your problem will be finding the game you want in a Macintosh edition...

apple won't come out with a gaming machine because noone would pay their overly inflated prices for a rig that's slower and hardly anyone makes games for.

just an update - i'm thinking of getting one of the new 17" Powerbooks, you know the one with this spec:

1.5GHz G4
1GB DDR 333MHz RAM
128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Graphics card

hopefully this will run DOOM3

i'm taking out a loan to get it, and it's primarily so I can play DOOM3 when it comes out

also it's for my music, but at the moment DOOM3 is priority!