Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomDiz

Waterfall Texture

Does anybody know where I can find an active waterfall texture?? Need a working patch so I can put it into my WAD w/ XWE, just can't find one...

The simplest way is just to export either the blood or nukage falls and colour them blue in your favourite paint program. I use PSP myself, and it takes about 5 seconds per texture ;)

I set up a nice waterfall in one of my unfinished maps using non-animated textures and the Boom texture scrolling effects and it looked way better than any of the animated stuff. I can't remember how to set that up tho.

Doom Dude said:

I set up a nice waterfall in one of my unfinished maps using non-animated textures and the Boom texture scrolling effects and it looked way better than any of the animated stuff. I can't remember how to set that up tho.

I would think an animated texture and a scrolling texture would look best. The water would look like it was splashing from the main body, not like it's just scrolling jello, and it would be falling too.

Ultraviolet said:

I would think an animated texture and a scrolling texture would look best. The water would look like it was splashing from the main body, not like it's just scrolling jello, and it would be falling too.

You could be right there. Never thought of trying the combo idea. Thats something I'll have to play around with once I get some of my current maps finished.

Unfortunately, the water's surface at the top of the fall would still be that mess of an animation that looks about as fluid as jello...

In doom2, there were the SFALL and BFALL textures - Slimefall and bloodfall respectively :P Final doom added a new one, WFALL. Doom2 will read any animated texture that is named BFALL, as TNT/PLUTONIA were based off of doom2 anyway. Try it, it works! And you wont have to replace the other 'falls either.

Ultraviolet said:

I tried that a while ago and it doesn't look very good. Pure scrolling is the best IMO. (with particle fountains at the bottom of course if you're a ZDoomer)

iori said:

In doom2, there were the SFALL and BFALL textures - Slimefall and bloodfall respectively :P Final doom added a new one, WFALL. Doom2 will read any animated texture that is named BFALL, as TNT/PLUTONIA were based off of doom2 anyway. Try it, it works! And you wont have to replace the other 'falls either.

You can actually use WFALL in DooM 2, as it's an unused animation that Plutonia took advantage of. You can also use BLODGR and SLADRIP from DooM 1.

I find that making a water (or whatever) fall translucent - and placing a wall a couple of units behind it of course - often looks damned good.

DoomDiz said:

Does anybody know where I can find an active waterfall texture??

I realize that you already have a waterfall texture from DooM Dude. If you're looking for a lighter, more realistic waterfall texture and flat let me know.

In ZDooM, you could have a sloped area of a river (e.g., representing rapids), assign it the animated water flat and make it scroll. That way the river would have the appearance of lateral motion as well as "shimmer".

[I realize this is not strictly a waterfall, but the idea could very well be applied to a steeply sloped surface that would pass as a waterfall.]

I also took my advantage out of this thread, by using the WFALL-Texture in Evilution maps, now. Stupid thing is, that WFALL is about 256 pixels in width, offering a lot of different "textures within the texture". You have to break a long waterfall-wall into 64 pixels-sized pieces and allign them properly. This adds unnecessary lines to the map (particulary bad, if you rely on an old editor with a nasty line cap). Thanks, anyway.

If you are making an pwad for Evilution then you could edit the texture names and remove the unwanted portion...
The problem with this is that the rest of the game will be effected by it, but since your audience won't be playing the rest of the tnt.wad, you shouldn't have to worry about this.

Unfortunately, the water's surface at the top of the fall would still be that mess of an animation that looks about as fluid as jello...

You could make a little section that's in a little more, and give that a separate texture, if you follow me.

I tried that a while ago and it doesn't look very good. Pure scrolling is the best IMO. (with particle fountains at the bottom of course if you're a ZDoomer)

Yeah I tried the animated texture / boom scrolling combo and it makes the falls look jumpy. This is using the default animated slimefall Doom II textures. It looked much improved when I made a static texture using the nukage flat and made it scroll with the boom effect. Plus with the Boom effects you can scroll the water / slime / whatever flat in coordination with the falls, which looks pretty nice IMHO.

I don't like using animated versions of the flats on walls. Sure, it looks neat, but it's unrealistic. (Like those flats were realisitc to begin with. :P) It wouldn't look static like that in a waterfall. If you around on Newdoom (ugh) you can find a bloodfall texture that looks REALLY good. Unfortunately it's hi-res, so ya obviously can't use in normal Doom . . . but perhaps it will inspire you, Doom Dude. ;)

Hmmmmmmm maybe so but I've abandoned that map now to finish my Vilecore upgrade so screw this slimefall stuff for now. I gotta get this done before I go insane.

Thats pretty vague with the bloodfalls reference. :p