Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
[FOX15th]SHRIKE

Which helmet do you like Better?

The playermodels obviously still wear those helmets in the multiplayer mode.

I neither liked the old bulky bighead helmet nor the new one. So I´m quite happy that the doomguy don´t wears such a thing in the SP part of the game. I would have liked an open helmet like the one the Marsec guards wear, with tipped up visor maybe.

But that new one just looks weird, like a cross between a jet pilot helmet and the Stormtrooper helmets from Star Wars.

(Hi all, semi-long time reader, first time poster)

Anyway, I like the old ones better - but mostly just for nostalgia and how much more "superhero" the old doomguy looked. The new one is much more serious and an outfit like that wouldn't really work. re: doomguy/quakeguy vs ranger/doom in q3a. Just looks cartoonish when tried to be made serious in my opinion.

Tetzlaff said:

The playermodels obviously still wear those helmets in the multiplayer mode.

Judging by the one MP screenshot that actually shows players, it looks like they changed the helmets for the worse - where the fuck is the badass visor the Alpha Doomguy had in his helmet? Those guys look like they have insect heads or something.

Anyways, I think the Alpha Doomguy's helmet is the coolest by far - it looks so much more like a futuristic army helmet, rather than some odd spacehelmet. I liked the old one, but the Doom 3 alpha one was just so much cooler - I'm glad that it at least won't look like the crappy box-like one in the ol' Macworld video.

dsm said:

looks like they changed the helmets for the worse - where the fuck is the badass visor the Alpha Doomguy had in his helmet? Those guys look like they have insect heads or something.

If you mean the Doomguy from the leaked E3 Alpha: he wears exactly the same helmet, just a different colour. I haven´t touched the leakd Alpha but I have downloaded a load of screenshots from it, so I know what the helmet looks like, and I always found it weird and rather ugly.

If you don´t mean the open helmet from the Macworld presentation (that one looked nice btw), then I don´t know which helmet you mean :)

It looks like this: the upper part seems to be a visor or maybe just some kind of shielding, it starts at eye-height (or even higher) and covers the whole forehead. It´s made from a shiny material (hard to say if it´s meant to be translucent). Below that there is a mess of pipes and "scuba gear" and stuff which resembles certain designs from Star Wars.

Tetzlaff said:

If you mean the Doomguy from the leaked E3 Alpha: he wears exactly the same helmet, just a different colour. I haven´t touched the leakd Alpha but I have downloaded a load of screenshots from it, so I know what the helmet looks like, and I always found it weird and rather ugly.

If you don´t mean the open helmet from the Macworld presentation (that one looked nice btw), then I don´t know which helmet you mean :)

It looks like this: the upper part seems to be a visor or maybe just some kind of shielding, it starts at eye-height (or even higher) and covers the whole forehead. It´s made from a shiny material (hard to say if it´s meant to be translucent). Below that there is a mess of pipes and "scuba gear" and stuff which resembles certain designs from Star Wars.

I've seen a screenshot of the alpha doomguy helmet (taken from the bathroom scene where he peeks around a corner, holding the pistol) and it's shaped in a rather similar fashion to modern military helmets (perhaps a bit less bulky), but it has a breather with pipes and a cool, black visor between the breather and the edge of the upper helmet.
I still have access to url, but I would be breaking forum rules if I told you where I got it :-/

As far as the Macworld vid goes: to each his own (once again) - I always found it damn ugly (it's a fucking BOX for Christ's sake!) and reminded me too much of the Quake 1 dude.

Yeah that´s the same helmet, like I said. Also the visor (or what it is) isn´t really black, it´s green like his armour. It looks a bit different with different lighting and shadows.

Lord FlatHead said:

Actually id announced some time ago that the Doomguy wouldn't be wearing a helmet in Doom III. I like the helmet he wore in the alpha though.

in the poster he is not wearing a helmet (doom3 poster)

Coopersville said:

Chicks love battle scars with a story. I'm sure Doomguy will have a good tale to tell when it's all over.

...If there's anyone left alive for him to tell 'em to :-P