Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Apothem

Changing ammo used per shot in a DEH

You can only do this for the BFG (cells per shot) in DeHacked, at least for anything that isn't ZDoom. For ZDoom, there are ways to make weapons use more or less... like you can make the super shotgun use only 1 (or 3 or whatever) shell per shot, or make the BFG use any number of cells...

True that you can only set the BFGs Use per limit, but you can make other weapons do it with the BFG's codepointer. By swapping the firing frame codepointer of the BFG (what like 81? 84?) with say the plasmagun (77?) you can then set the use of cells in misc to any number and the BFG will use 1 per shot like the plasmagun and the PLasmagun will use whatever you set.

Incidently this is the only method that works for making firing weapons have unlimited ammo. If you simply set the gun to [unlimited] under ammo type it produces some seriously odd effects. Only by using the above method and setting the BFG cells per use to zero can this be done in dehacked.

Zdoom has "ammo use" and "min ammo" options. The ammo use value tells Zdoom how much ammo to use per firing code pointer in the firing sequence. Min ammo tells Zdoom how much ammo you must have in your inventory before you can fire the weapon. Normally you would set the ammo use value and min ammo values to be the same, but you may want to do otherwise for certain effects.

eg

Weapon 1 (Pistol)
Ammo use = 5
min ammo = 10

That would make the pistol use 5 bullets per shot, but you would not be able to fire the pistol with less than 10 bullets in your inventory.

If you have less than the min ammo value, Zdoom will change away to the next weapon (like when you try to fire a BFG with less than 40 cells).

I *think* Zdoom has also been fixed to allow you to allocate unlimited ammo to any weapon without odd side effects.

Incidently this is the only method that works for making firing weapons have unlimited ammo.

Oh.

Enjay said:

I *think* Zdoom has also been fixed to allow you to allocate unlimited ammo to any weapon without odd side effects.

Using the method Scuba Steve described or with Ammo Use = 0?

How about fractional ammo use, hmm? I still wanna fire two pistol shots simultaneously but only take 1 bullet to do it. I still want to have a convincing sniper rifle. I still want double-density single-shotgun shells by firing two blasts but using one shell. I still want to use fast-firing energy weapons that don't represent their ammunition as shots remaining, but "percentage" out of 100, counting down 1 per, say, 10 shots, using ammo use = 0.1. You could then set max ammo for that weapon to 100, but you'd actually be getting 1000 shots.(That method would also allow you to eliminate the greater-than-999-ammunition-can't-display-as-anything-but-999 issue).

Eternity can do the "two bullets at once" or double-density shotgun shells with its FireCustomBullets player weapon codepointer. You put parameter values in the frame that uses the pointer that control the number of tracers, how much damage each does, the sound it makes, the angular spread of the tracers, and more. It's really cool. I like playing with my example patch that turns the pistol into a quad shotgun ;)