Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scabbed Angel

Doom 3 multiplayer varitey

Do you think that all players in D3 mp will be the same model, or customizable? Like your choice of wearing a helmet, color of armour, etc? I think it would be boring if everything was the same. I know that its not meant to be revolutionary, but a little variety wouldn't hurt.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the monsters will be in the multiplayer game as well, has anyone else heard this/remember reading this?

If you look at the new screen shots in CGW, you'll notice the marine holding the flashlight has slighly different armor and it's colored red. ^_^

The marine models will definately come in different colours, that's practically a given. There possibly might be some other cool stuff thrown in like being about to play as the Revenent, or maybe even 3D models of the old Doom creatures! :D

Still, chance is some user modified/created models will show up some day.

If you look at the new screen shots in CGW, you'll notice the marine holding the flashlight has slighly different armor and it's colored red. ^_^

Really? That's great but I cannot tell how small the scans are and all.... Gee, it'd be really nice if someone could hook me up with some larger versions...

Coopersville said:

Really? That's great but I cannot tell how small the scans are and all.... Gee, it'd be really nice if someone could hook me up with some larger versions...

Here`s link with marine in red armor : )

link removed

Coopersville said:

There possibly might be some other cool stuff thrown in like being about to play as the Revenent, or maybe even 3D models of the old Doom creatures! :D

Most certainly not. You forgot that the models now have per-poly hit detection instead of an invisible hitbox. So for fairness reasons every model in Multiplayer must have the same seize and proportions.

Scabbed Angel said:

Do you think that all players in D3 mp will be the same model, or customizable? Like your choice of wearing a helmet, color of armour, etc? I think it would be boring if everything was the same. I know that its not meant to be revolutionary, but a little variety wouldn't hurt.

Different colours and skins sure, like gatewatcher mentioned, the marine in the latest magazine shot wears a red armour with slightly different details, but same shape as the Doomguy´s armour.

An interesting thing they could do with the per-poly hit detection would be localized armour: if you pick up a helmet, the model actually wears a helmet and is protected in the head area only, the same could be done with chest armour and leg plates etc. I think that would be quite cool since it adds more strategy to combat.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the monsters will be in the multiplayer game as well, has anyone else heard this/remember reading this?

I don´t remember ever reading something like that. Maybe they talked about a game mode with actual monsters in it (like those mods for Quake and UT)? But I don´t remember that either, all I´ve heard was talking about Deathmatch, Teamdeathmatch and Last Man Standing as multiplayer modes.

Scabbed Angel said:

It's true.
In an interview, one of the idders said that they were considering putting it in, but whether it'll be in the final game all depends on the playtesting.
If id finds that the monsters kill the fun, then they won't implement them in mp.

dsm said:

It's true.
In an interview, one of the idders said that they were considering putting it in, but whether it'll be in the final game all depends on the playtesting.
If id finds that the monsters kill the fun, then they won't implement them in mp.

Now that is something that I would definitely want an option for...

And I'm sure that id wouldn't "force" you to play with monsters. It's not a terrible idea, but 99% of the time, I'd play mp to fight other humans only.

Tetzlaff said:

Most certainly not. You forgot that the models now have per-poly hit detection instead of an invisible hitbox. So for fairness reasons every model in Multiplayer must have the same seize and proportions.

Models could have unique attributes to compensate, like less health for models with a skinnier frames and less speed and stealth for ones with larger frames.

But yeah, I know. Chances are id couldn't be bothered to put that kind of work into the multiplayer...

Here`s link with marine in red armor : )

link removed

You could of just private messaged it to me... heh. Anyone?

Coopersville said:

Models could have unique attributes to compensate, like less health for models with a skinnier frames and less speed and stealth for ones with larger frames.

That would practically be a sort of class-based multiplayer then, quite hard to balance and certainly not id´s goal for standard deathmatch. But a cool idea for a mod maybe.

The thing about monsters in multiplayer: has anyone played the Invasion gametype in UT2003 (came with the official Bonus Pack), or one of it´s predecessors from Quake? There you have monsters spawning in waves, adding stronger monsters whith each wave, and the players battle it out against them coop style. It´s quite fun for a while, but I think nobody plays it anymore in UT2k3, it hasn´t the depth of the other MP game modes.

I don't want to ask for the scans but will the marine have the helmet on in deathmatch or have the ditched it completely? (i hope not. The helmet's cool)

Tetzlaff said:

The thing about monsters in multiplayer: has anyone played the Invasion gametype in UT2003 (came with the official Bonus Pack), or one of it´s predecessors from Quake? There you have monsters spawning in waves, adding stronger monsters whith each wave, and the players battle it out against them coop style. It´s quite fun for a while, but I think nobody plays it anymore in UT2k3, it hasn´t the depth of the other MP game modes.

Also the monsters in 2k3 were just plain boring - straight out of the original Unreal, and not even all of them at that. Doom3's bugs would at least be better looking and hopefully more varied.

I dunno, I think it would add a bit more challenge to it. Also, since no one in the fucking industry seems to want to include co-op anymore, this would give you the option to have it. . . sort of. After a game's been played, there's no way to add to the replay value of it better than co-op!

The 'monster deathmatch' option might be cool, but only if it was a seperate deathmatch mode, or everybody would play as the lost soul to be impossible to hit, and go around being annoying I AM A MORON I AM A MORON . Some alternative DM models could be monsters that are the same size as the players though, to keep it fair, such as imps, zombies, old fashioned imps I AM A MORON I AM A MORON . But they'd only look that way, and be able to use all of the guns. But in the monster deathmatch mode they'd be stuck with using the attacks of that monster

deathbringer: Stop trying to avoid it by using [] tags. There's a reason that word changes into "I AM A MORON".

insertwackynamehere said:

I heard that there isn't going to be much multiplayer support put in, but I'm not sure

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "DOOM"!!!!!

Well, we've seen some DM shots, so we can safely assume it's in there.

Shaviro said:
There's a reason that word changes into "I AM A MORON". [/B]

What word and why?