• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Wolf

Most disappointing game you ever played

sargebaldy said:

i think i'd have to say doom2.

Ha!!

That's hilarious. I don't particularly care if you were joking or not - it was just funny to read someone saying that.

Yeah, Doom 2 did have some pretty abysmal levels.

Personally I'll have to go with Neverwinter Nights. After the superb Baldur's Gate series, Bio really let not just the fans down, but themselves too.

SoU was pretty awful actually. I hope HotU is better... looking forward to taking my character to level 40 though :D

Fallout: Tactics

I wasn't really expecting much, and it turned out to be a decent game, but they did some weird stuff that I don't much care for. For instance, they made Deathclaws these weird scrawny monsters with hair all over their backs. They're supposed to be hulking monsters that are mutated Jackson's Chameleons, with the weird eyes and everything. Also, it wasn't nearly as good as Fallout 1 or 2. I hope Fallout 3 is as good as it's predesessors (I bet it will be, considering Black Isle is working on it).

Quake 3, because it is so horrible compared to 1 and 2. It holds the record of being uninstalled from my computer after only 2 days of installation.

Doom 2 was also kind of dissapointing, though I didn't realise how lame it was for a while because when I first started playing the Dooms, I mainly focused on the PWADs, and also IDDQDing through everything. :P Still an okay game, but I like Doom much better.

I'd have to say Q3A - I expected something with loads of original gameplay aspects and with a much more substantial sp part gameplay wise. Instead it was pretty much the same old thing.

Probably the only id game where I have ever uttered the sentence: "I wish I hadn't bought this thing!"

But then I'll also have to say that if I hadn't bought Q3A, I would never have had the opportunity to try out Generations, which is my overall favorite mod concept so far, so I guess the sentence I uttered in disappointment back then has been nullified since - still doesn't alter the fact that it's the game I've been the most disappointed with.

NiGHTMARE said:

Personally I'll have to go with Neverwinter Nights. After the superb Baldur's Gate series, Bio really let not just the fans down, but themselves too.

How true this is. I was expecting NWN to grab hold of my life and take over my free time like Doom did when it first came out. But it was such a huge let down. I never even bothered finishing it. what the point in having making an inherently party-based gaming system work with a single character? And I read today that Black Isle is being shut down too :(

I certainly wouldn't say doom2 was all that dissapointing. Sure some of the levels sucked ass, but I would say the addition of the Super shotgun and the new enemies are one of the reasons why Doom editing is still going on today.

Unreal 2.

Not much to elaborate on here, it was just a really boring game that could have been a struggle through an immense alien world but ended up being a bunch of brief cleanup missions. This was a lot of potential wasted.

If I expected anything from Unreal 2 I might have gone with it too. But the trailers look awful and I played it anyway. And *gasp* it was crap. Oh well.

I'd have to with Eye of the Beholder III. Man I'm still festering about how such a potentially good game trilogy was crowned with a pile of shit. I took my party through the dungeons under Waterdeep and fought Xanthar the beholder in EOBI, took them into the crypts and dungeons and up the three towers of temple Darkmoon to face Dran Dragore the dragon in EOBII, then I had the embarrassment of forcing them to hack and slash through the awful, meandering levels of EOBIII with the game feeling as lost as I was.

OK, so the EOB games are old, even by Doom standards, but the first two were (for the time) immersive, crisp graphically, good sound wise and ran well even on a 286. EOBIII came out with a predictable story, revised graphics that helped break the continuity with the first 2 games and worst of all, a revised engine that was poorly implemented. Despite not really adding anything to the gameplay, it needed a powerhouse PC to run it. Even a low end 486 couldn't cope. No ambush was a surprise because the cursor turned into a little egg timer whenever a new enemy was near and save game load times took ages.

Unreal Tournament 2003
After seeing some juicy preview video of this game, showing outstanding graphics, I was quite excited about UT2K3. Until I downloaded the demo and it turned out to be a very boring and uninspiring game.

Controversely, because Unreal2 has such a bad reputation, I didn't expect much from the eXtended MultiPlayer expansion for Unreal2. It turned out to be a surprisingly well done expansion.

Hmm...for me, I'd say Daikatana. First it wouldn't run on my system though it surpassed the minimum requirements. When I got one that did, it got uninstalled after 10 minutes.

Robotron for 64 after i play that game for about 10 seconds... i got the sudden earge to throw it out the window (and i rented the game worst 5 bucks ever spent in the history of spending)

Final Fantasy VIII, Wario World . . . I'm sure there's more but I cannot remember at the moment.

Arno said:

Unreal Tournament 2003

Yup, I'd agree with that one. I really enjoyed UT. I thought it was a fantastic game. Great levels, great weapons, good looking models, good gameplay, blah blah blah. Real addictive stuff. It also wasn't some wanky gothic self parody like id games seemed to be becoming at the time either.

UT2K3 had to be better didn't it? No! how could they throw it away like that? Yes the models may have been better, but somehow you simply never got to see things as clearly as you did with UT. The levels were more technical, but less playable for a whole number of reasons. The biggest "crime" however, was that most of the weapons were awkward, cumbersone things that didn't look especially good and felt even worse. How can you have a DM game with unsatisfying weapons? Take away good weapons and there is no point. And what the fekk was that sniper weapon all about? Gimme a rifle any day over that piece of junk.

Undying - After hearing all the posts here about how spooooookky and scaaaarry it was, I decided to try it for myself. It was very boring and took forever to change from one part of the map to the next because of all the scripted scenes, and when I finally ran into the first monsters at least 20 minutes later, I died. I never bothered to make it out of the mansion, and uninstalled it soon afterward.

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project - I've heard about this game, but I never really knew what it was about, so naturally after playing Duke Nukem 3D, I expected more of the same fun. Nope. It turns out that it was a side scroller, and after getting so used to the FPS type game that Duke Nukem 3D was, it simply did not appeal to me at all.

Diablo - I bought it as a pack along with Diablo 2 and its expansion. Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction was quite fun, and I still play it sometimes (not online though). Diablo wasn't. the characters were too slow and hard to control, and the monsters seemed to get too hard too fast, forcing me to buy tons of portals and potions, then going back and forth hoping to gain enough experience and money to survive the encounters with those skeleton archers and some of the harder monsters down below. I didn't make it far beyond the butcher before I lost interest. I sold it at a computer show, but I kept the other two games, heheh.

Imp said:

Robotron for 64 after i play that game for about 10 seconds... i got the sudden earge to throw it out the window (and i rented the game worst 5 bucks ever spent in the history of spending)

Robotron? Isn't that the one where the cover gfx is the exact same as the 'I Robot' album by Alan Parsons?

Ichor said:

Diablo - I bought it as a pack along with Diablo 2 and its expansion. Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction was quite fun, and I still play it sometimes (not online though). Diablo wasn't. the characters were too slow and hard to control, and the monsters seemed to get too hard too fast, forcing me to buy tons of portals and potions, then going back and forth hoping to gain enough experience and money to survive the encounters with those skeleton archers and some of the harder monsters down below. I didn't make it far beyond the butcher before I lost interest. I sold it at a computer show, but I kept the other two games, heheh.

It's one of those games that takes getting used to. I'm suprised you didn't try multiplayer. Some of the people you play with can be rather horrendous. Although I wish you didn't sell it, because I'd have played with you. :)

Quake 3, easy.

Out of the box it was terrible, but, IMO, only because of the goddamn levels. There were what? 2, 3, maybe 4 maps worth playing. Every one either a void map or some gothic crap. Playing it felt like a better DM game to me than UT though....but i played far more ut than q3 anyway.

Undying - After hearing all the posts here about how spooooookky and scaaaarry it was, I decided to try it for myself. It was very boring and took forever to change from one part of the map to the next because of all the scripted scenes, and when I finally ran into the first monsters at least 20 minutes later, I died. I never bothered to make it out of the mansion, and uninstalled it soon afterward.

Yeppity. I bought it after reading "Top 25 Most Underrated Games" on Gamespy. I'm about halfway through I guess, but I haven't played in a while. Main drawback is Half-Life action. Let's see what some of the major enemies are:

1. Hoppy thingies that are nearly impossible to hit: Gee, I couldn't think of anything more fun than trying to shoot an enemy that keeps hopping around with my shitty selection of weapons.
2. Wormy thingies that pop out of nowhere and fire nearly-instantly damaging shots: As above, replace bouncyness with continual dodging.
3. Skeletons that throw nearly instantly damaging shots that never die:Now here's a genious idea!

Then to top it off, they throw in Arab-esque warrirors that act like normal FPS enemies, just to show that they actually can make fun enemies. Oh well, at least they are fun to fight.

Postal 1 - For a game that caught so much shit and attention back in the day, it was just straight up bad.

NHL Hitz: Pro - Improved graphics, yes, but Midway took out everything else that made it a Midway game. Barely custom teams, no special player heads, no other earnable goodies, player/team fire was practically non-existant, toned down player physics/ability and most, if not all the humour was removed. The whole arcade aspect was taken out, so what you get is basically another sports sim -- a downgrade imo. I crossed that POS off my Christmas list and added the much, much funner NHL: Hitz 2003.

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - Filled with nothing but all the bad things from Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, such as super slow harvesting units and pathetically weak infantry. The only two things I liked about the game were the base gates and night-to-day lighting that'd occur throughout levels -- both of those things never making it into Red Alert 1 or 2 for some reason.