Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pickle965

Updated ZDooM Editing CFGs

Has anyone out there released an updated ZDooM Config for Doom Builder thats uses the latest and greatest editing features? The cfg that comes with Doom Builder is lacking a bit...

The cfg that comes with Doom Builder is lacking a bit...

Correction: The cfg that comes with Doom Builder is written according to the editing specs that ZDoom provides.

I dont know ZDoom well enough to complete the cfg with its new features, so if anyone can, please send me cfg and ill include it with Doom Builder.

Gherkin, I wanted to ask, from a developper point of view, is there an easy way to insert plugins into Doom Builder... I mean without having to modify the source tree. For instance an external code that could add linedefs, modify infos in the level and so on.

Gherkin said:

Correction: The cfg that comes with Doom Builder is written according to the editing specs that ZDoom provides.

I dont know ZDoom well enough to complete the cfg with its new features, so if anyone can, please send me cfg and ill include it with Doom Builder.

The problem is that the ZDoom docs are horribly outdated. They'll be 4 years old in 2 days :P Maybe somebody like Nami or cyb could update them.

If anyone has the ability to stay sane while using it long enough, you can use the newest Deepsea's Zdoom/Hexen configuration to bring Doom Builder's cfg VERY close to up to date.

Gherkin, I wanted to ask, from a developper point of view, is there an easy way to insert plugins into Doom Builder... I mean without having to modify the source tree. For instance an external code that could add linedefs, modify infos in the level and so on.

I could make a DLL which exports functions that point to the many functions in the editor to remove vertices, remove a linedef, redraw map, etc. You can then use these functions to make a C/C++ DLL that will be loaded and run when chosen from a "Plugins" menu in Doom Builder.

How does that sound?

Gherkin said:

How does that sound?

Sounds brilliant. Beware of synchronisation tho (like 2 plugins accessing at the same time)... maybe a simple token will do.
Wheee... I'll add wadc to Doom Builder ;)

I was thinking more like, Plugins will only be loaded at startup to fetch their names and add them to a menu. And plugins will only be loaded when you select it from the menu and it will run and then to be unloaded again.

Gherkin said:

I was thinking more like, Plugins will only be loaded at startup to fetch their names and add them to a menu. And plugins will only be loaded when you select it from the menu and it will run and then to be unloaded again.

Well, if you take the specific example of wadc, one may very much like to have the plugin running during the whole session.

boris said:

The problem is that the ZDoom docs are horribly outdated. They'll be 4 years old in 2 days :P Maybe somebody like Nami or cyb could update them.

Even Cyb and I come across new things every once in a while. Randy made a comment about making a wiki where people could post information and others could correct/update it whenever. This sounds like a pretty good idea to me...

Gherkin said:

Actually, I've noticed the cfg with DooM Builder is missing a few of the features from the zdoom.org editing reference. Hopefully someone with the knowledge will be willing to work on the cfg, it would be great to have a complete and updated ZDooM config with the next version of DooM Builder.

Gherkin said:

Julian said:

Well, if you take the specific example of wadc, one may very much like to have the plugin running during the whole session.

Yea, but then indeed you get pretty complicated routines to prevent one plugin to screw the work of the other and it may become very unclear which plugin is to blame when it crashes. Besides, wadc is a very odd example! For real man, whos gonna script a map design when you can just draw the room and go into 3D mode to paste some textures on the walls?

Nanami said:

Even Cyb and I come across new things every once in a while. Randy made a comment about making a wiki where people could post information and others could correct/update it whenever. This sounds like a pretty good idea to me...

Yeah that sounds cool

Gherkin said:

Yea, but then indeed you get pretty complicated routines to prevent one plugin to screw the work of the other and it may become very unclear which plugin is to blame when it crashes. Besides, wadc is a very odd example! For real man, whos gonna script a map design when you can just draw the room and go into 3D mode to paste some textures on the walls?

Man, wadc is so cool for automatic big rooms generation. Plus it features a reversed mode where it transforms a map into a script. Beside, I'm sure other type of plugins would benefit from being opened during the whole editing process.
I don't think routines would be complicated. You could use two synchronisation routines to be called before and after doing anything like "checkin" and "checkout". The real issue would be if a plugin crashes while having checked in. The GUI itself could be a plugin too.
Well, just my 2 cents. I'd love to work on some random map generator and having it integrated into Doom Builder would be nice. The idea was to generate wadc scripts which would then be processed by the wadc parser.