Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grimm

Ultimate Doom No Stimpack/Medkit Run Complete

A while ago someone posted a thread called "Why Is the Doomguy Special", asking why the Doomguy managed to survive. I responded it's because he can get shot, then pick up a medkit and be instantly better. Then I said that I should make a DeHackEd patch and go thorugh Doom without simpacks or medkits. A little while ago I did it, and well, it was actually disappointingly easy. I really had no problem staying alive. All the Soulspheres thrown at you are more than enough to sustain you. Even Thy Flesh Consumed wasn't that hard. Just wanted to let you all know, I guess. :) Doom 2 should be the real challenge . . .

I wouldn't consider myself to be excedingly good at Doom, and I did it no prob. I'm sure it would be easy to record a demo. Plus I did it with savegames. :P I might make one one day, though.

Well, it could be possible without taking medkits nor soulspheres; it's just that it would be an incredibly boring demo because it would require a whole lot of sneaking around, sniping enemies off one by one, etc.

Plus, it would be hard to find someone willing/with enough patience to do it, considering that one mistake during the entire run could potentially be fatal.

Well, there's always demos with savegames. I think this isn't keeping with the true spirit of the idea, though, i.e., to prove the Doom guy could do it. Then again, I used savegames. :P

Grimm said:
Well, there's always demos with savegames.

There's no need for savegames. To give you an idea of what I mean, take a look at this (a demo of me idling through e1m1 and e1m2 on UV picking up no medkits and no soulspheres). Recorded in ZDooM 1.22, so you'll need that to view it.

It's dull and slow, but it can be done. I actually played through more maps like this (didn't record on that occasion though..) when I first read this thread, without picking up medkits or soulspheres. When I got to the exit of e1m5 with a health of 101% I knew it could be done, so I stopped. The only concern would be some parts of e1m7, I think.

How about making a patch that makes it so that there are no soul/mega spheres and when you pick up a medkit, it heals you gradually, you know, like 1% every several seconds. Or that it might heal you sporadically, like 5% of the total medkit/stimpack every 20 seconds. That'd make it more challenging. You'd be forced to wait in a corner, defending yourself, hanging onto dear life as you wait to gain some health back.

Job said:How about making a patch that makes it so that there are no soul/mega spheres and when you pick up a medkit, it heals you gradually, you know, like 1% every several seconds.

Hm. I'm not sure. It would make slaughter maps like MM map 23, most of HR etc. much more interesting.. but it would also lead to a lot more careful playing which would lead to slower demos. If that's your cup of tea, then yeah! :-)