Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

instant ceiling?

i can do instant floors and other fun things with hidden sectors but what i really want to do is silently and quickly raise a cieling some ~500 units.

it's part of a 2 floored building type effect for doom2 compatibility. though i might consider stretching to boom if need be... ?

A ceiling? I assume this is purely for a visual effect? In that case you're better off trying Iikka's double-floor trick, like the one he pulled off in Requiem map31. See Doomworld's Editing Tutorials for more info, or one of the other editing threads on 3D stuff here.

i had a little bit of a hunt around but didnt see something, i'll think of *something* though...

i'm trying, essentially, to make a small room disappear inside a bigger room!

Hmm... didn't we discuss this in your femexam wad thread? Which reminds me: FEMEXAM wad might have what he's looking for.

what was that demo mod that started off as a small room, became a big room then an outdoor area full of cyberdemons? about a month ago... i'll hunt around it was in a newstuff

No need to hunt for files in the 3D Gamers Archive... just use DoomSearch or the Doomworld idgames database search feature.

found it "kaiser_3" and OMG WTF is happening there? i looked at it in doombuilder and then crapped my pants. ber-limey!

here's what i want to happen:

1. archway/door jam, has a sector for it's cieling

2. later on i need to cross over it as part of a fake 3d effect. because it's the roof of the building that the door goes into basically. what i'm left with is my roof and then walls to the sky above my doors and windows of the buidling. ideally i need to move the "gap" to the roofbut i can probably get away with simply raising the cielings into the sky where they cant be seen..

this is made, somewhat, simpler by the fact that you can't just jump off the roof and get inside, the route is more convoluted but at the same time the openness of the map prevents use of boom's silent teleport lines to fake it.

i'll TRY to disect kaiser_3 but it scares me :-)

cycloid said:

i can do instant floors and other fun things with hidden sectors but what i really want to do is silently and quickly raise a cieling some ~500 units.

I'm not sure about this, my memory might be off. But I think I tried this (and may have actually copied it from kaiser 3 too :P ) and what you do is use the 'lower ceiling immediately' (or whatever it's called) linedef. If the adjacent sector is higher (and not lower) than the one you're moving, it actually raises it instead of lowering it.