Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

10 Years of Doom: Day 2

Yes folks, the fun never stops here. Even though the 10th is over for most of the world, the festivities here at Doomworld continue! Today for our 10 years celebration we present you with parts 3 and 4 of Opulent's demos article which contains interviews with demo greats Adam Hegyi and Bahdko. Along with that the countdown of the top 100 WADs of all time continues with years 1997 through 2000. Finally, we also have a special 'treat' in store, the one, the only: Doom comic! Yes, it's here in all its, uh glory. So head over there and check it out. Click on 'more' for a sample.

From Opulent's interview with Adam Hegyi:

Opulent: There has been a little talk of another DoomDoneQuick production since a few new routes/tricks have developed; can you speak a bit about that?

Adam: If we talk about DOOM II Done Quicker, I think that it should've happened years ago, back when there was more enthusiasm for the project. Anyone who has seen 30uv1617 knows how much more complex the route became, compared to the first Done Quick run. If you know the top players around or me, you could see what kind of a monster project that would be, with all these perfectionist people around ;-) I think there's a far better possibility of a PWAD Done Quick run. IWADs have their pre-set standard from the previous runs and all the TAS demos since, which are tough to meet. PWADs should have none of those.

From the top 10 wads of 1999:

Without a doubt Batman Doom is one of the greatest efforts ever produced by anyone in the Doom community. Nearly every single resource in the Doom 2 IWAD was replaced and with extensive dehacked work it hardly feels like Doom at all. This is a true total conversion in every sense of the word. As you fight your way through Gotham City and defeat villains such as the Joker, Killer Croc and Bane you'll feel like you're really the Dark Knight. The dehacked work is also worth a second mention as it's quite possibly the most extensive dehacked work ever done. You'll see more different enemies than you thought possible, dynamic explosions (including a sequence where you must escape an exploding warehouse) and an enemy that can actually pick up rocks on the ground and throw them at you.

That comic is hilariously bad.

My favourite parts:

• Doom guy is in the dark with a shotgun, his possession of which never explained, and he decides to light up the area by shooting wildly around the room and manages to kill every single demon in there. Hooray for dumb luck.
  • In a room full of zombies and demons mutilating and destroying the doom guy's friends and comerades, he exclaims "The most beautiful sight a soldier can behold" Of course, he's referring to the BFG, which is mysteriously abandoned in the middle of a room.
  • Apparently in the future, they make gatling guns not only with a computer display that shows how many bullets are left, but also a programmed voice. When the bullets run out, the gun ensures its carrier gets no sympathy from its makers.
    If that's not the gun talking, it's just about as screwed up that the doom guy has an argument with himself.
  • In that same scene he says "The only thing I believe is I need another gun" when just seconds ago he expressed his belief in environmentally-friendly waste processing, which he believed in so strongly, that he had to stop everything and contemplate.
There's so much wrong with it, I couldn't possibly list it all. Very entertaining read :)

Hyena said:

That comic is hilariously bad.

My favourite parts:
  • Apparently in the future, they make gatling guns not only with a computer display that shows how many bullets are left, but also a programmed voice. When the bullets run out, the gun ensures its carrier gets no sympathy from its makers.
    If that's not the gun talking, it's just about as screwed up that the doom guy has an argument with himself.

haha yeah I love that part, I always wondered if the gun was supposed to be talking to him. most likely not, but it's hilarious no matter what they intended.

I also like the part where he suddenly exclaims 'Wow! Now I'm in a completly different place!' because apparently the authors needed to get him to another area but they had no clue how to (or maybe they were just lazy) so they just shoved him there and made him recognize the fact that he wasn't where he was a page ago without any hint of how he got there. beautiful.

Heh. I just noticed somewhere on page 3, the fist that was all bloody from tearing guts out switches from his left to his right.
I had to read the "big guts" line again. :p

Cyb said:

I also like the part where he suddenly exclaims 'Wow! Now I'm in a completly different place!' because apparently the authors needed to get him to another area but they had no clue how to (or maybe they were just lazy) so they just shoved him there and made him recognize the fact that he wasn't where he was a page ago without any hint of how he got there. beautiful.

Haha! I never noticed that!

heh, well clearly if they made a DOOM film and the comic was the storyboard it'd be pretty damned good methinks!

p.s. loving the lovingly created articles, keep up the good work peops!

That doom comic is just great. In terms of all the verbalization, perhaps the authors were roughly as vocal as Novotny in-game, and it showed through in the comic :) . I should make a sound recording at our next LAN and post it somewhere hehe.

You're aware that some of the wordyness is song lyrics, right? There's a part from "Burnin' Love" by Elvis, and umm, maybe someone older knows this name for sure but "papa's got a brand new bag", that's a song. Someone liked to sing songs while dooming, perhaps?

That environmental speech was funny to me because of being out of character for the rest of the comic. Wouldn't be surprised if that's how the author intended it, as opposed with as a political statement.

--BahdKo

BahdKo said:

You're aware that some of the wordyness is song lyrics, right? There's a part from "Burnin' Love" by Elvis, and umm, maybe someone older knows this name for sure but "papa's got a brand new bag", that's a song. Someone liked to sing songs while dooming, perhaps?
--BahdKo

James Brown

Just wanted to thank everyone involved with the 10 year celebration.

Your efforts have produced the most interesting articles, interviews, wad selections, writeups, etc. that I have had the pleasure to experience in all my time at Doomworld. Really quite a comprehensive and professional presentation. Well done!

Cyb said:

Adam[/b]: I think there's a far better possibility of a PWAD Done Quick run.

From the top 10 wads of 1999:

Without a doubt Batman Doom is one of the greatest efforts ever produced by anyone in the Doom community.

Hmm have you put these two together to suggest something?

Y'know, there was something nagging about that Doom comic and now I remember what it was. The character in the comic portraying the Doomguy looks strikingly similar to Ash from The Army of Darkness. In fact, he behaves kind of like him too, except this guy's one-liners fail it.

Jon said:

Hmm have you put these two together to suggest something?

rofl no, you're reading into things too much

I just pasted an interesting part from the interview and batman doom is my favorite wad from 99, nothing more :P

(though if they want to do a pwad run of batman doom that would be really cool)

Downloaded every single wad in the Top 100. Makes up one helluva good 222 mb "Classics" library! Tasty....

And I wanna thank Doomworld for having done such a professional and exceptional piece of work celebrating DooM's 10 year birthday! Especially because it's so damn evident and clear that you guys who wrote the articles are so experienced and well versed into the world of DooM, and most importantly active DooM community members! Great job, you made this week memorable...

Oh no, i just realised something...what if the beserk pack in doom 3 makes you act like the doom comic guy? I AM A MORON I AM A MORON , well i suppose a random spouting of "I gotta handful of vertebrae and a headful of mad" would be funny I AM A MORON I AM A MORON , and a cool cameo for doom buffs I AM A MORON I AM A MORON

Fanatic: Hmm. No Hacx either...

But my wads were there. several of them.. 2 of mine atleast and 2 that I contributed to. I feel proud atleast.. :)

There was a bit of a discussion behind the scenes about whether or not to include commercial megawads (Hacx, Perdgate etc.), and in the end it didn't make it (even though it's legally available to download now).

Ebola: Yeah, I did music in the GothicDM2 and Gothic99, but got no mention for the tunes. Those were some very nice projects, glad to have been a part of them. Oh well...

I love the reviews though, very well done and concise.

hmm, probably the least commercial commercial pack ever made...was designed by a bunch of enthusiasts (none of us made a bean on it, btw, the project leader lost nearly five grand) and only sold about 15 copies *ever*. hehe.

AdamW said:

hmm, probably the least commercial commercial pack ever made...was designed by a bunch of enthusiasts (none of us made a bean on it, btw, the project leader lost nearly five grand) and only sold about 15 copies *ever*. hehe.

When I was looking through the old newsgroups stuff about Evilution I find a quote from you saying how you would never allow any WADs of yours to be sold because it conflicted with your morals or something. Guess that fell through :P

In the Doom comic's defence, I'd like to say it is actualy a fairly accurate representation of gameplay. Guns lying in the middle of the floor, constant killing of every thing in sight, that silly thing on the back of the BFG...Hell, I even randomly spit out one liners when I play.

:D