Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

Is it possible?

Is it possible to use a new sky without actually inserting the sky graphic itself into the Doom2 wad with WinDeu or whatever?

Uh, try putting it in the PWAD. Hopefully I'm misreading the question 'cause otherwise . . . heh.

Job said:

Is it possible to use a new sky without actually inserting the sky graphic itself into the Doom2 wad with WinDeu or whatever?

You can put the new sky into a separate wad, and run DooM2 with the usual command line (i.e., DooM2 -file newsky.wad). You should avoid modifying your DooM2.wad (also known as the IWAD) directly.

To insert your sky graphic into another wad (known as a PWAD), you will need a resource editing utility (e.g., XWE or DeepSea).

that's a silly question. haven't you ever played a pwad with a new sky?

Cyb said:

that's a silly question. haven't you ever played a pwad with a new sky?

Actually, no. Is there a place where I can get some good sky graphics?

It's from Blood. The actual sky is a whole lot taller (400 pixels actually) and divided into 16 vertical stripes.

Ichor said:

The actual sky is a whole lot taller...

Yes, I discovered that games based on the Build engine use waaaaay taller skies than DooM does. Fortunately, cutting them down to size (esp. for source ports such as ZDooM, that use taller skies) is not too difficult to do. The real decision for a truly spectacular sky, though, is which part to cut out.

Job said:

Actually, no. Is there a place where I can get some good sk graphics?

wait wait, you never played, uh, pretty much every single popular wad ever made? scythe, hr2, requiem, mm2, the list goes on and on

as for places to get them, your best bet is usually other games or wads

EarthQuake said:

He probably just hasn't noticed.
Either that or Job is really pulling our leg.

Heh, well I just didn't know of a place to get sky graphic resources.

Job said:

Heh, well I just didn't know of a place to get sky graphic resources.

Stian Skjondal prepared 3 excellent "tall sky" texture sets, eminently suitable for a source port such as ZDooM. Two of them have been uploaded to the archives, and are linked below:

Skypack1
Skypack2

I have the third in my archives somewhere. If you really want it, PM or email me and I'll dig it up.

If you want to see in-wad examples of the skies, visit DooM Nexus and look under 'Oldstuff'.