Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

John Romero?!

Does John Romero make Doom/Doom2 wads anymore? If so, where can they be found?

I don't believe he's ever made any maps since Doom2, at least not any public ones. A couple industry famous people have made doom maps, Iikka made that dm map (yesterday's brownies) and Tom Mustaine (sp?) from uh, Ritual I think (?) made a map a few years ago, and Sverre made a map for 10sectors though that didn't get sent in on time so it wasn't included... and idmap01 or something like that was made by American McGee after Doom2 came out

There's a version of idmap01 included with Heretic (Shadows of the Serpent Rider), as like E6M1 or something.

I want more, though. It'd be great if he could be petitioned for more levels without looking like an arse.

I'm sure he's far to busy with other things to be worrying about maps for Doom 2. Best you could do is give him a link to Doom Builder or something and hope he churns something out in his spare time.

VolteFace said:

I'm sure he's far to busy with other things to be worrying about maps for Doom 2. Best you could do is give him a link to Doom Builder or something and hope he churns something out in his spare time.

Heh, I hope he's not investing his time in Daikatana II. : / Heh, but yeah, if was going to make wads, he'd have done so already.

Asking Romero to do a map for DooM/DooM2 might put him in a somewhat awkward position. On the one hand, he is considered a god among men to many DooM players and mappers alike, and any map he does is certain to be well-received by the community. On the other hand, the standards of DooM have changed considerably since 1993, and he'd surely be challenged if he were to release something comparable. Releasing something mediocre or even merely "good" is not an option; but releasing something that reaffirms his status as a DooM mapping god would hardly be easy.

Therein lies the rub. Can he produce something that shows he is the indisputable king of DooM mapping? For that reason alone he may hesitate to take on the assignment.

I wish Romero would make another E1, nothing fancy, nothing requiring a port, just something that takes you back all these years and reminds why you play Doom in the first place.

Raven Software's Jeremy Statz (Heretic 2, Elite Force, etc) also released a level a few years back. It can be found here

NiGHTMARE said:

Jeremy Statz .... also released a level a few years back.

The strange thing is, the date of release appears to be May of 2003.

Either it was one of the wads that got lost when cdrom.com's doom content was transferred to 3darchives and someone only noticed in May, or it was already there but neither the uploader not Ty noticed :)

I know it was uploaded a while ago because it's reviewed on both Ricrob's site and Team Insanity, and neither of those have been updated in a long, long while ;)

I actually did ask him about making new maps at one point. He told me he'd love to but doesn't have the time :/

As for Zar.wad, I uploaded it in around May. It is indeed quite older (1997?) and I thought it quite odd the archives were missing it.

Didnt he make one for some contest a while back?, i think it was doomcenter's E1 week contest (which i also entered with the awful "traffic control"), or that Newdoom legacy mapping contest

VolteFace said:

There's a version of idmap01 included with Heretic (Shadows of the Serpent Rider), as like E6M1 or something.

Eh, the textfile says American McGee made it, not John Romero.

The Ultimate Doomer said:

It's also been covered a couple of times in custom Hexen hubs. (idmap01 that is)

Where?

I didn't say idmap01 was John Romero's, I was replying to an earlier post where someone mentioned that particular map.

About the E1 Contest thing, you may be thinking of either 1) The episode 1 demo pack he recorded or 2) The fact that he judged the E1-style map contest.

John Romero is right now probably working. He's probably already announced to everyone the deadline for Doom 3 is whenever, then get to map making/coding/whatever the hell it is he does when he gets to the office. About tweleve he'll go out for lunch with a couple of his buddys, talk about a few things. Then he'll get back to the office, probably work some more, call his family, then he's going to leave about four o clock and head home. When he gets there he's going to probably eat dinner, work on some stuff for Doom 3, brainstorm some ideas, watch some tv, spend time with his family, and go to bed.

He does not have time to make Doom maps. (besides Doom 3 ones)

Skunkboy Kyle said:

John Romero is right now probably working. He's probably already announced to everyone the deadline for Doom 3 is whenever, then get to map making/coding/whatever the hell it is he does when he gets to the office.

He does not have time to make Doom maps. (besides Doom 3 ones)

God, try read up on your info, like Id software's website, john romero's website and tons of others. John Romero DO NOT work at id anymore. He left the company after quake were done (like 97?, heh dunno really). You are probaly thinking of John Carmack, but he is only working with the coding/programming of doom3.

Next time you try to play smart, try get your stuff right...

If Romero was to make a map or 2, he'd probably come up with some really cool ideas and a nifty story, then create a little website on Rome.ro about it. It would take 2+ years before it was released and probably wouldn't live up to the expectations that come with his name.

The work of Ikka Keranen, Jeremy Statz, and Tom Mustaine can also be seen in various projects throughout the years. I think (not positive though) that Mustaine was in Team TNT for a while, and I know he made map 14 of Memento Mori. Statz did map 19 of MM2, and Ikka's done all sorts of stuff, including maps for Requiem and working with Adel on Dystopia 3.

Kid Airbag said:
I think (not positive though) that Mustaine was in Team TNT for a while, and I know he made map 14 of Memento Mori.

TNT - Evilution, even.

insertwackynamehere said:

Hey! I sort of look like him :-)

You sir look like a dork.
Do you have those giant dorky glasses like he does too?

Carmack looked like a dork. He had this long stringy blonde hair and that nose that was sharp as a knife with those big glasses, and Romero on the other hand looks like he could be the lead singer of any 80's metal band.

He may not look like that today, but that was a few years ago, back when TechTV was still ZDTV and Extended Play (or whatever it is called now) was still on it's original name. I would have hated to see what he looked like back when they made Wolfenstein. O_O

myk said:
TNT - Evilution, even.

Really? Which one(s) did he do then, ol' Paradox? :-)

And BTW, does anyone know who did what in TNT? For example, "Heck" is obviously a Casali creation, as is "Caribbean".. but the others?

Skunkboy Kyle said:

You sir look like a dork.
Do you have those giant dorky glasses like he does too?

Carmack looked like a dork. He had this long stringy blonde hair and that nose that was sharp as a knife with those big glasses

He's got more money than a moron like you ever hopes to see, dickhead.

Kristian Ronge said:
but the others?

Yeah, Heck even has a Plutonia-styled intermap teleporter at the start. Unfortunately there's pratically no specific info on who did what resource, from maps to music and even graphics...