Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jertsy

Hi, a music question for ya's...

Hi there, new here..

After playng doom on the playstation I thought it would be a good idea to have a go on the PC version..... But to my horry the music in the PC version differs, extremely, than that of the playstation... The music in the playstation version was weeeell creepy.. A constant moan in the background...

The PC version music seems to be a tad lighter in its tone.... heheh, trying to be fair here..... but it does not create the same atmosphere as the PS..

Does anybody know what im talking about???

Is there a port that has similer music??...

thx for ya time...

Jertsy...

No, but you could download the PSX music and try to set one of the many ports up to make it work with those MP3s. It can be done, but I don't think anyone has yet.

EDIT: Damn you Fredrik!

Hi Guys...

thx for the info.. I'll have a look c...

Cheers

Edit:

jesus, thx loads for that!!!! You dont know what this mean to me to be able to get this music!!! ;)

Just one question, how do i get it to play in doom 2..

thx for ya help

Jertsy...

Ah, yes, I understand this. I noticed that when I played also, thats why the Playstation Doom scared me a lot more than the PC version did, when I was aboot 9 also. The music was very creepy and well done in the Ps version. I love the Pc music though also. But playing the Pc without music also creeped me out way back when. :D

Hi m8..

I know what ya saying about the music... eheheheh, ive got it on now... my g/f is looking at me weird.looooooooool..

I just need to know how i can put this music into doom 2... I mean going from something like utk3 to doom 2 is quite a graphics drop... but with this music it should revive the old feelings..

Any ideas????

anyone...

Jertsy....

Use a source port, you cant "just run it with doom2", look in the FAQ, or doomworlds source port section, to find out what ports there are ect (before this thread turns into a "my port is better than yours" war again). I dont know what ports support mp3's, but zdoom probably does

And yes, i loved the PSX doom music as well, sort of moaning, clanking and creaking in the background, really felt like you where alone and helpless against the incredible odds of the demon invasion, whereas the pc doom music makes you feel more like an unstoppable action hero who kicks all thier asses without even breaking into a sweat I AM A MORON I AM A MORON

If a port uses FMOD for the sound (hint: it's zip file contains fmod.dll), .e.g ZDoom and Skulltag, it definitely supports MP3. Things like Doom '95 and Boom don't.

i liek the PC music more because it makes me feel like rambo

i played the psx version and i was like "WTF IS THIS SHIT???"

Mr. T said:

i liek the PC music more because it makes me feel like rambo

hell yes!

Well, I love the pc version's music for sentimental reasons. You can't deny that funny quality that Bobby Prince's music has.

But - yeah, the PSX version of Doom does have VERY creepy "music" (not exactly what it is) that sets the mood and tone of the game a lot more like id intended it to be.

mje said:

But - yeah, the PSX version of Doom does have VERY creepy "music" (not exactly what it is)

Ambient music is still music, even if it's not highly melodic.

IMO ambient stuff is better than music, just hearing quiet little beeps and boops from computers in a darkened hallway, waiting for the next demon attack...it's very cool.

mje said:

But - yeah, the PSX version of Doom does have VERY creepy "music"

Very crappy "music" would be better. Either have music or don't have it is what I say. Don't just put some lowpassed gaussian noise and call it music.

I also loved the PSX ambient tracks. Gave it a very creepy feel when combined with the echoing noise and such.

Also the "need keycard" sound rocks :)

;-)

heh, when I first herd the Doom PC music I laugh to myself..... I thought it sounded more like a fruit machine.... but hey, different tastes... Im just hoping they follow the PSX music style in doom 3...

Anyways I'm having trouble finding a port that will allow me to play Doom with the PSX music....

Would someone be a star and point me in the right direction...

thx all

Jertsy...

Merry Xmas

You're all right. There is something horribly disturbing about the music in Playstation Doom. The PC version has a kind of techno metal soundtrack which is fine, but not as effective.

You can't deny that funny quality that Bobby Prince's music has.

You also can't deny the fact that Bobby Prince is a thief that stole music from Slayer and another band of which I can't remember at the moment.

PSX doom music rules.

Melfice said:

You also can't deny the fact that Bobby Prince is a thief that stole music from Slayer and another band of which I can't remember at the moment.

Metallica? Pantera? Alice in Chains? Take your pick.

PC music insufficient? BLASPHEMY!

Actualy, I ahte most of the metal tracks, but all the cool, creepy ones rule. If I knew what they were called, I would list them.

E1M8 works for me. Map 09 also.

I actually have the ripped samples used to create the music for PSX doom on file somewhere. They use a system similard to modding. Cool stuff indeed.

In a random bout of honesty that could possibly leave my in a shameful light, I would go as far as to say that instrumental english power-pop (Repulbica ect) with an evil chord progression seems to, strangely enough, fit darker FPS's pretty well.

I prefer the PSX tracks over the doom tracks, hands down. The midi's excitement factor went tits up years ago. I'm nitpicky with music, it's such a powerful, and sometimes overlooked element of a game. "Well I like mouth for war, I'll put it on x map" Music should be crafted to a level to fit the atmosphere perfectly. I can't count the number of hours Iv'e spent browsing XM's or creating my own for zdoom maps to get the right atmosphere.

The fact of the matter is everyone considers diffrent things music. I for one think ambient is a great music form, but if you don't that is no reason to be an asshole about it.

It's funny that everyone calls Bobby Prince a filthy theif now because it's funny to do so, but you have to remember that when Doom was being made, Romero gave Bobby quite a few albums of 80's metal and told Bobby to make a soundtrack based off them, Some are quite different while others are pretty much identical.

I was at a lan last month, and a freind of mine had Metallica's S&M blasting at full volume. I mentioned to him that E1M1 was Metallica's Master of Puppets, I got a suspicious look, but he had Doom MP3's in his playlist and checked...It was funny to see his jaw drop as he made the connection, The similarities are there, but you really don't notice unless you pay close attention, or are told. Hell, I never picked E2M1 as AC/DC's Big Gun until I read it on these forums.

mje said:
But - yeah, the PSX version of Doom does have VERY creepy "music" (not exactly what it is) that sets the mood and tone of the game a lot more like id intended it to be.

Well, back then they looked at things like Evil Dead II, Aliens and Perdator for inspiration; even though those movies did have some creepy elements they were more action oriented... thus the use of faster music or metal for DOOM (not that there aren't some ambient-like tracks.) Plus they must have noticed early on that the tech for '92/'93 was more suited for action than straight horror, at least for the FPS.

Melfice said:

Does the word "inspiration" ring a bell?
Is slinging mud at one of DOOM creators your contribution to the DOOM community?

P.S. well done Linguica, that was a real good one.