Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Doom 95 question

Now some of you think .mid sounds the samde as .mus, but for me it doesn't.
Mus sounds better to me.

Is there anyway to make mus music play in Doom 95? When I play, it plays the songs as midis. How do I make them sound like Mus?

Also, how do I bring the sounds pitch up? They're too low.

It doesn't matter which sounds better, because Doom95 already uses the .mus format. You can't play midi within Doom95 or else Doom95 will come to a crawl.

I've foolishly tried inserting midis into wads. That's how I know.

Yes, it does use .mus format in the wads, but it still plays them back as midi files, regardless of what they are.

How do you make the playback sound like mus?
And the pitch question, too.

MUS files are the same thing as MIDI files in the sense that they both use your general MIDI hardware in your sound card to play back. It doesn't matter whether you play back a MUS, a MIDI, or a MUS converted to a MIDI, or a MIDI converted to a MUS; they will all sound the same when played on the same MIDI hardware.

you're probably thinking of differences in sound from dos midi playback to windows, doom95 probably just uses windows midi playback for mus files. ZDoom2.0 ( http://zdoom.org/ ) has opl synth emulation, head over there and dl the latest version of zdoom2.0 and then enable opl synth in the advanced sound options menu

btw, mus and midi are pretty much exactly the same format, if I remember right mus is just a cut down version of midi and everything possible with mus translates perfectly to midi (and the opposite is true in nearly asll cases as well)

The thing is Doom95 uses Windows' MIDI synthesizer to play the MUS lumps back, you can't really change that. Source mods also use Windows one way or another to do that (or something else, like Boom uses Allegro.) There really isn't a way to get the music to play back like right out of Doom (the closest thing is Vladimir Arnost's Msuplay, but then again it's an external player.) As for the sounds, on Doom95 try setting -nosfxformat and see if it sounds more like you want it. With source mods (ZDoom, PrBoom, etc.) make sure the sound sample rate is set to 11025, then it will sound quite like in Doom.