Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Saddam Hussein has been captured!

They say he wore a fake beard. Oh by the way. The first picture of Saddam after his capture has just been released:

Congrats to those in Iraq happy with his capture!

About damn time!

Disorder said:

I heard he will be tried in Iraq. Good move by the Americans.

Yeah, a very good move. It saves us getting whined at, makes us look like we're empowering the Iraqis, and ends with the same desired result.

Oh yeah, and here's this:

Disorder said:

I heard he will be tried in Iraq. Good move by the Americans.

Yes, but I bet everyone involved in court will be American though. Still, he's guilty as hell, he hasn't got a chance... (so it doesn't really matter)

(btw I'm surprised they actually took him, unlike with Bin Laden)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Yes, but I bet everyone involved in court will be American though.

no way, that would defeat the whole purpose. anyway why would we need to anyway? we know how the iraqis are going to handle it. we don't want any responsibility at all for it either. the less we can be involved the better.

Something about this smells funny.

For one, it doesn't look anything like him. Second, could this have come at a more convenient time for Bush? Just in time for everybody to still have time to vote for Bush, but late enough that Bush doesn't risk any more embarassing mistakes between now and the election.

Oh, but yay hooray, he's caught, bad man and all, but I don't think that's the reason. Do we really give a shit about the Iraqi people? I doubt it! This is most likely just another economic factor being toyed with.

The news even went so fucking far as to say in a "quick recap of the war" that our purpose in Iraq was to topple Hussein's regime for the sake of the Iraqi people. What the hell happened to the "WMD" scare? Back when a bunch of people still believed there were weapons present, THAT was what the media said our purpose there was, coupled with removing a regime that harbors terrorists like (well, not like, but SPECIFICALLY) Osama Bin Laden.

If the media can't make up their mind on what's really going on over there, then I don't think I believe a word they say about anything EVER. Hell, I could come to believe that they manipulate the weather reports in order to serve winter/summer clothing and supply companies.

EDIT: Know what I just heard the news say? "He was reported to wear elaborate disguises so he may not be recognizable even if he was found..." Right, like a new face? They said he's been on the run since the first airstrikes, so if he has had cosmetic surgery then that couldn't possibly have been him on any of those tapes that were released, at least not in the time frame that the media reports, because where the hell is he gonna get on-the-go facial surgery?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some crazy old man that said "OMG I'M SADDAM" and everybody just started eating it right up.

You know who that is there? It's Santa.

The fucking morons are gonna ruin Christmas...

Let him go. Now.

Peter Heinemann said:

I would be more happy if someone told me that Georg Bush has been captured.

...then they could hold free and fair elections, and probably sort out some of the weapons of mass destruction too.

What makes me most uneasy is that now a lot of US americans will say: "look, now that we have captured Saddam, we were right when we attacted the Iraq". Silly. It was crime. See, despite I know that many US soldiers had no choise but to go into the Iraq, I do not pity them. Maybe I am sad about the person, the human being, who died, but I am definately not unhappy about the resistance against the US troops in the Iraq (which will continue, I am pretty sure).

Fredrik said:

How do they know it's not one of his doubles?

Supposedly through a DNA test (no doubt carried out by americans, draw your own conclusions) but I'm sure fodders will provide an explanation soon.

According to the Israeli security site Debka.com...
Saddam Hussein was not in hiding; he was a prisoner.
1. The length and state of his hair indicated he had not seen a barber or even had a shampoo for several weeks.

2. The wild state of his beard indicated he had not shaved for the same period

3. The hole dug in the floor of a cellar in a farm compound near Tikrit was primitive indeed – 6ft across and 8ft across with minimal sanitary arrangements - a far cry from his opulent palaces.

4. Saddam looked beaten and hungry.

5. Detained with him were two unidentified men, two AK-47 assault guns and a pistol, none of which were used.

6. The hole had only one opening. It was not only camouflaged with mud and bricks – it was blocked. He could not have climbed out without someone on the outside removing the covering.

After his last audiotaped message was delivered and aired over al Arabiya TV on Sunday November 16, on the occasion of Ramadan, Saddam was seized, possibly with the connivance of his own men, and held in that hole in Adwar for three weeks or more, which would have accounted for his appearance and condition. Meanwhile, his captors bargained for the $25 m prize the Americans promised for information leading to his capture alive or dead. The negotiations were mediated by Jalal Talabani’s Kurdish PUK militia.

These circumstances would explain the ex-ruler’s docility – described by Lt.Gen. Ricardo Sanchez as “resignation” – in the face of his capture by US forces. He must have regarded them as his rescuers and would have greeted them with relief.

From Gen. Sanchez’s evasive answers to questions on the $25m bounty, it may be inferred that the Americans and Kurds took advantage of the negotiations with Saddam’s abductors to move in close and capture him on their own account, for three reasons:

A. His capture had become a matter of national pride for the Americans. No kudos would have been attached to his handover by a local gang of bounty-seekers or criminals. The country would have been swept anew with rumors that the big hero Saddam was again betrayed by the people he trusted, just as in the war.

B. It was vital to catch his kidnappers unawares so as to make sure Saddam was taken alive. They might well have killed him and demanded the prize for his body. But they made sure he had no means of taking his own life and may have kept him sedated.

C. During the weeks he is presumed to have been in captivity, guerrilla activity declined markedly – especially in the Sunni Triangle towns of Falluja, Ramadi and Balad - while surging outside this flashpoint region – in Mosul in the north and Najef, Nasseriya and Hilla in the south. It was important for the coalition to lay hands on him before the epicenter of the violence turned back towards Baghdad and the center of the Sunni Triangle.

The next thing to watch now is not just where and when Saddam is brought to justice for countless crimes against his people and humanity - Sanchez said his interrogation will take “as long as it takes – but what happens to the insurgency. Will it escalate or gradually die down?

An answer to this, according to DEBKAfile com's counter-terror sources, was received in Washington nine days before Saddam reached US custody.

It came in the form of a disturbing piece of intelligence that the notorious Lebanese terrorist and hostage-taker Imad Mughniyeh, who figures on the most wanted list of 22 men published by the FBI after 9/11, had arrived in southern Iraq and was organizing a new anti-US terror campaign to be launched in March-April 2004, marking the first year of the American invasion.

For the past 21 years, Mughniyeh has waged a war of terror against Americans, whether on behalf of the Hizballah, the Iranian Shiite fundamentalists, al Qaeda or for himself. The Lebanese arch-terrorist represents for the anti-American forces in Iraq an ultimate weapon.

Saddam’s capture will not turn this offensive aside; it may even bring it forward

a reminder :P

Fredrik said:

How do they know it's not one of his doubles?

The other question is what if he was captured months ago and they decided to release the news today?

And erm....why is this stickied?

Oh, what I meant to say was WOOHOO! Great! One down, now let's go fix the hunger situation in various spots in Africa and such, and then COMMUNISTS, IT'S YOUR ASS! FREE WORLD AHOY!

Melfice said:

Big fuckin deal. Whoopty doo.

If you don't care, don't post. It really is that simple.