Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

CS vs ET

CS vs ET  

21 members have voted

1. 1. CS vs ET

• Counter Strike
    • Enemy territory

last i checked CS and ET where top online games. assuming u play either, which do u like.

advantages of both
CS - realism is the focus. have to buy weapons. this allows more choice. rounds are short. is more team deathmatch than ET. very popular.
weapons are balenced and varied.
now on X-BOX and PC, may (not sure if it is or will) be on GC and PSX2
built on Half-life (enhanced quake engine) engine

ET - free game.
made for longer fun matches. has a renforcment time limit.
classes and experince points.
medics, engeneers, cover ops, field ops, soldier.
focuses more on balenced team play, player rely on classes.
no need to buy weapons.
focuses more on getting objectives done, thus leading to larger maps
voteing
punk buster
linux, MAC(?) and windows

the bad about both

CS - need to buy the stand alone game.
buying can be annoying and so can a number of weapons
realism, stunned when shot. out of match when killed.
rounds go quick
confuseing to new players
windows and X-Box only

ET - computer only
rounds/matches can be very long
allows spawn killing, even worse if a map maker does not consider this.
not as much custimization
relience on classes (however new mods alow u to change if u find a dead team mate)
unless u have limited lives, u cant win by killing all of the other team.

well those are about all my points

i play ET for the most part. one reason is there is a linux version. another is i just dont like the CS style

dont turn it into a flame war, just tell which u like and why

C:

1. choose a gun, yet there are 500 to choose from and i have no idea why an AK47b542 9mm is different or more/less desirable than an UZIxy44 9mm or somehow more usefull than an MP5-ncblahblahblah.

2. spawn

3. sneak around/hide/camp and only move about 4 feet from where you spawned

4. die because someone's been playing it constantly and has amounted so much in-game cash they have all 500 guns pointed at you at once.

5. wait half an hour to play again

ET/TF/TFC:

1. choose a class, possibly one with a rocket launcher, a flame thrower or some other large weapon or even one that can simply run fast

2. spawn

3. kill other team with said big guns / run circles around them

4. died? no problem, respawn immediatley and carry on fragging!

5. CTF (or vaguelly similar objective type) = win

seems like i prefer the latter ... i.e. "fun"

i'm not much for "realism" in games, unless it's specifically aimed to be a simulator (e.g. driving games)

I've only played CS, but if this other game is similar to TFC like you said, then it sounds fun.

CS is ok i guess. I never thought of it as being great. I'd rather play TFC. But, i'd rather play BF 1942 over that even...heh

LOL before reading the first post, I thought this was going to be a topic about Christian Science versus the possible existence of aliens.

I used to play CS until steam(ing pile) came along. I tried getting it to work for a while but just stopped caring... I imagine things are better now but there's little motivation to try again. I did enjoy the game though; on AWP-banned servers I'd grab a deagle and the scout rifle and just mess around.

ET I've never played, so I can't compare the two, but it sounds interesting.

America's Army is fantastic -- it's the most realistic squad-based shooter I've ever played.

Job said:

America's Army is fantastic -- it's the most realistic squad-based shooter I've ever played.

that one is free too. but i didnt really like it. i guess if i played it more i would. just didnt like it. also when i did play it servers raked up some horible ping. best i could find was a server with a ping at around 57, but most where 120 or so

I LOVE Enemy Territory for too many reasons to list here.
A few: large battlefields, varied objectives, buildable watchtowers and MG nests, landmines, uniform stealing, experience points system to gain rank, maps are arranged into campaigns, tons of voice chat messages, PunkBuster anti-cheat protection, completely free game, etc, etc, etc

I played CounterStrike once, but didn't really like it because of the One Life To Live rounds and the outdated graphics.

Doom Fanatic said:

I guess I'm still the only guy who still plays Unreal Tournament.

That's a good one too.

I might be a bit biased here because I am a staff member on a CS (csnation) site, but I would slant my decision a bit more to Counter-Strike its achieved a fine balance between realism (Rainbow 6, argh) and fun (DOOM!)

IE, it's easier to die than most games but you can still take a few hits and keep on going.

I'm not choosing one over the other though, because games can be just as fun as each other even if they are a bit different (A good example would be Carmageddon and Grand Turismo. They are both at opposite ends of the realism scale, but are both incredibly fun games to play.)

Thanks for reading my epic post (faggot)

Let us not forget the vast ammount of cheaters that inhabit nearly every CS server.

ET > DOD > CS

I'll kindly take my Q3/UT/TFC, thank-you very much..

CS is pretty good. IMO the old CS betas are the best (Beta 5.2 and 6.x). They're just a lot more fun to play, especially Beta 5.2 as player speeds are higher than in later versions. :)

Sephiroth said:

advantages of both
CS

BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Now where is that an advantage??? IMO CS is pretty unrealistic. HEs can hit you behind a wall. Guns can easily shoot trough 1m reinforced concrete, but not trough the shield. Hitboxes are everywhere, but not where the player model is. Plus it's buggy is hell. For each bug they fix they implement two new ones. It's not even the big bugs I'm talking about, just the small ones.

BTW, I'm usually playing CS every day :P

I prefer unrealism games. So ET and TFC are my choices. Don't get me wrong though, I do think CS is a good game but the community is something I really can live without.

Mr. Chris said:

I am a PlanetWolf regular fyi

Me too! In fact, I recognise you now! :D

Ed said:

I'll kindly take my Q3/UT/TFC, thank-you very much..

so the consensue generally seems to be: rocket launcher = good, waiting hours to respawn = bad :-)

boris said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Now where is that an advantage??? IMO CS is pretty unrealistic. HEs can hit you behind a wall. Guns can easily shoot trough 1m reinforced concrete, but not trough the shield. Hitboxes are everywhere, but not where the player model is. Plus it's buggy is hell. For each bug they fix they implement two new ones. It's not even the big bugs I'm talking about, just the small ones.

BTW, I'm usually playing CS every day :P

Shields... CS 1.6... CS 1.6 sucks. Steam sucks.

Sephiroth said:

advantages of both
CS - realism is the focus. have to buy weapons. this allows more choice. rounds are short. is more team deathmatch than ET. very popular.
weapons are balenced and varied.
now on X-BOX and PC, may (not sure if it is or will) be on GC and PSX2

uhh...I'd say most of those points are bad.

I don't really see what people found in CS, but Enemy Territory pleasantly surprised me (certainly it's a lot better than RTCW dm), although I'd still take DoD over it.