Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shamino

Nightmare!

I'd like to know how far you all got on each episode with the Nightmare difficulty. When i played this game many years ago, I recall getting to the third or fourth levels in the first episode.

I think I got to E1M3 on Nightmare and then kept getting killed. Maybe I made it to E1M4 or E1M9 once, but I don't recall for sure, so probably not.

As for the other episodes, I don't think I've gone past the first level on Nightmare, and only up to Map03 on Doom 2. Don't think I ever even tried with the Final Doom levels.

I've beaten E2M8 (the Cyberdemon level) on Nightmare before...

That was pretty cool. However, now that I look back on it, it wasn't very hard at all. If you play Quake III on Hardcore for a pretty good while, going back to one on one fights in Doom is pretty pathetically easy.

I've run through E3 on nightmare without saves, but only once. I can't seem to get very far on the other episodes though.

hmm... I think I got to map04 on nm on doom2. In ultimate doom I dunno, like to second half of e1m3. The other episodes I don't know about.

Heh, I'm not sure how far I got in Ultimate Doom on Nightmare! I think maybe it was the first three, maybe four levels...after that I just gave up.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

I've gotten to the barrons in e1m8, but I could never beat them because when I got rid of one the other would come back and... anyway...

Get them fighting with the spectres, and then finish off the weakened baron(s) as quickly as you can before one of them respawns.

A common NM technique when you need a number of monsters dead simultaneously is to weaken them evenly as much as you can without actually killing them, and then to finish them all off in quick succession. One example of this is my NM demo of return01.wad E1M8, where eight barons need to be dead at the same time.

I've never tried any of the NM episode runs myself. E1M3 is reckoned to be first big hurdle in E1 though, and in Doom2, Map04 is considered enough to stop most ordinary mortals, even if they know the compet-n routes well (I've never done either myself, though I haven't made a really concerted effort).

I don't recall how far for Doom 1, Doom 2 was the first game where I even dared to try out nightmare and subsequently discovered that I didn't think it was the least bit fun.

In Doom 2 I got to map05 until I got fed up with it and went back to my beloved Ultra Violence :-)

I remember playing e1m1 and e1m2 on nightmare, but I dunno if I gave up on e1m2 or if I completed several maps.

I got to E1M3 in Ultimate DooM and to map 4 in DooM 2. I suck at playing NM...

All in all, I've finished only 30-40 maps in NM.. most of them were easy already in UV, and all of them were short.

But I've found that playing NM becomes easier if you practice playing reality style. Another good idea to become better is to play on ITYTD with -fast and -respawn.

I got up to level 17 on Nightmare on Doom2. TNT, level 7, Plutonia, don't wanna try. I can't remember how far I got on Ultimate Doom.

By the by, I think Doom was the game that broke me of the habit of always selecting the hardest level of difficulty when playing a game for the first time...

I got to level 07 on doom 2 I believe, don't really think I've tried doom1 on nightmare though. I can deal with the fast monsters, but my real problem is that I like to take my time in a level and clear out every corner. Respawning monsters makes this really hard. If they just increased the monsters health, put them on -fast, and gave you alot less ammo and health, it'd be pretty easy. Damn respawning monsters.

Jello said:

Respawning monsters makes this really hard. If they just increased the monsters health, put them on -fast, and gave you alot less ammo and health, it'd be pretty easy.

I seriously doubt it.

dsm said:

I don't recall how far for Doom 1, Doom 2 was the first game where I even dared to try out nightmare and subsequently discovered that I didn't think it was the least bit fun.

My experience exactly. It's just no fun if those goddamn monsters always come back to life no matter what you do to them. UV -fast is something I occasionally do on easy episodes but generally UV has the best balance with the exception of some 'insane' maps where I sometimes prefer HMP.

!?!!?

You guys are serious about this?
I can understand maybe after a year or two of playing Doom, but you guys can only manage 3-4 levels in Nightmare after playing for 5+ years??!

I've done E1 all the way though without dying. It was rather recent too. I can't say it was easy, because it was the hardest fucking thing I've ever done. E1M3 and E1M8 were the ones I struggled with, sometimes I'd be cowering in the corner desperately searching for health! I didn't really worry about monster kills, I just killed off the shotgun guys that REALLY hurt, and managed my way to the exits.

This is really a joke right? I sense sarcasm... maybe not, I dunno.
Heh, maybe I should make a demo.

I'm sure there is no sarcasm. I imagine most people posting here have in mind doing these runs without using any savegames.

If you can handle the E1 NM episode run, then you should consider getting involved in compet-n.

Well, I haven't actualy played thru the game in the past 3 or 4 years except when I do coop on the net now. So this is comming from more than a few years ago. Maybe I'll give it a shot again. I still think I wouldn't be able to kill both. And Dead Simple would be almost impossibly hard because you have to have all the manucbi dead and then all the arachnatrons.

In doom2 I have made it to the end of map12 once... I usually die on 4 or 7 though.

Doom 1, I have completed ep 2 and 3 on nightmare. I still haven't got past e1m3 or e4m1.

EarthQuake said:
You guys are serious about this?
I can understand maybe after a year or two of playing Doom, but you guys can only manage 3-4 levels in Nightmare after playing for 5+ years??!

Without savegames, yes. With saves I could (probably, because I've never tried it) do many maps on NM.

NM just doesn't fit my playing style at all. The problem is the respawning monsters... I like to play slowly, which is complete murder in NM. I tried playing a few maps never stopping for anything, and I was surprised how far I got with virtually no effort just by playing a bit more careless.. in NM you have the extra ammo of skill 1 which can make all the difference in the world... i.e. in some maps you don't have to take out big packs of revenants with only the SSG (as in UV) but you can use the plasma rifle or BFG which is much easier..

I've done E1 all the way though without dying.

As Grazza said, if you did this without savegames then you should have a look into COMPET-N. Not many people can do this.

Wow, heh.
No, I didn't use save games, I just hurried when I needed to, and took my time when it was necessary. Strange combination. I was constantly on the brink of dying. I practically went the whole game with like 30 health lol.
I don't consider myself very good, but if you guys insist on it, maybe I should make a demo to show im not lying. Then again, I probably won't be able to do it again, knowing my luck :P

Doom is one thing; However, Doom II, is totally different for me. I can dodge fireballs and stuff like that, but when it comes down to chaingunners, revenants, and archviles, that's where I end up dead.

EarthQuake said:

I don't consider myself very good, but if you guys insist on it, maybe I should make a demo to show im not lying.

Demos shouldn't be recorded to prove a point, but because you enjoy doing it. Choose some maps where you'd enjoy recording (maybe NM, maybe not), and I'm sure your skill will show through. I didn't especially doubt your claim, BTW, but just wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Yeah, seriously, D2 has got to be really fucking hard.

Here (and here; some early stuff here too) is almost the whole story of Doom2 NM movie runs.

Revenatns are easy to doge, even in tight corridors. You just have to wait until the last minute.

I can't get my demos to work right. They always end up borking out in Legacy. I end up running into the wall otr firing aimlessly at the ground. I don't know why that happens.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

Revenatns are easy to doge, even in tight corridors. You just have to wait until the last minute.

I can't get my demos to work right. They always end up borking out in Legacy. I end up running into the wall otr firing aimlessly at the ground. I don't know why that happens.

Even demos you recorded in Legacy Ninja? It doesn't have demo compatibility with vanilla doom or other ports unfortunately.