Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Classic Doomguy Armor/Helmet for multiplayer?

Since we know he's not going to look like that for singleplayer, I thought it might be nice to include the classic look at least for multiplayer. Agree? Disagree?

Mmmm yeah. That would be pretty cool I guess. I think they'd have to redo a bit of it though just because it's so undetailed and wouldn't really fit in the Doom 3 universe.

At any rate, we're bound to see fan made skins of it anyway.

The new Doomguy is the classic doomguy, just with more details.
The helmet, however, is a different story.

I think one of the reasons they decided to change the helmet might (Yes I know they've removed it) be that HALO completely ripped it off and people would think the doom helmet was a ripoff of the HALO helmet.

gatewatcher said:

Uh, the helmet is in multiplayer...

No one is disputing that. The helmet just looks very different from the original Doom guy's helmet.

Well, if we're arguing over classic/new helmet, then stop being cry babies and accept the fact that Doom is different now and the helmet is too. The end.

I'm glad they changed it. The original doom guy was far too "super hero-ish", though that's what the original doom called for. Doom3 seems to call for something more - well, not realistic of course, but I guess believable.

Semi-related note, I remember an old screenshot showing off a polygonal bullet dent in the doom3guy's helmet. Is that still there? :p

TwiNCannoN said:

not realistic of course, but I guess believable.

Yeah... that's sounds about right.

gatewatcher said:

Well, if we're arguing over classic/new helmet, then stop being cry babies and accept the fact that Doom is different now and the helmet is too. The end.

Nobody in this thread seem to be acting crybaby'ish - wanting classic Doom design rendered in the new engine isn't necessarily crybaby'ish either, rather it displays an interest in seeing what the old design would look like in the new engine.

However, I'd rather prefer to see the classic design in a mod rather than implemented in Doom 3, since the classic design, if done down to the last detail of the original looks rather than having stuff added to it, looks boring and plain in comparison with the new designs.

Of course, as I said above, the new design is pretty much the classic design with the details pumped up on adrenaline, 'cept for the helmet.
At least to me it is...

gatewatcher said:

Holy shit! *ahem* I liked the one in the alpha that I never ever saw better than the new one. I don't really care too much either way though because
(a) I will probably only play multiplayer ever great once in a while
(b) Its Doom3, so even it will be a good looking ugly helmet.

Estimated time between Doom 3's release and someone converting the classic Doom model from Q3A to multiplayer: 5 minutes.

Trasher][ said:
Estimated time between Doom 3's release and someone converting the classic Doom model from Q3A to multiplayer: 5 minutes.

No go. To get it to look like an actual doom3 creation someone will have to make a high-poly model to extract a normal map for the low-poly version. Creating new content for Doom3 (not just making new maps) will be harder, or at the very least more involved, than in any other game...ever. Just my guess. I could be wrong. But I'm probably not.

Hell, does doom3 even support md3's?

'sides, that model looks pretty crappy imo anyway... the sounds are definately bad in any case.

Both, I love the new amor and helmet but the old stuff is classic. To me the classic stuff never looked like a super-hero outfit. It just looked cool.

TwiNCannoN said:

Hell, does doom3 even support md3's?

'sides, that model looks pretty crappy imo anyway... the sounds are definately bad in any case.

I thought they were md5s but i would be wrong. . .

Well, not super-heroish, but definately more comic book-ish than "realistic" (in a sci-fi way).

As for doom3, dunno? I know lightwave (.lwa?) is a big thing for it, I just don't know it's full support list.

Trasher][ said:

Estimated time between Doom 3's release and someone converting the classic Doom2 MAP07 to multiplayer: 30 Seconds.

:P