Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ob3kenob

Soft textures in GL

I notice that in ZDoom textures are sharp but grainy, whereas in ZDoomGL they are smooth and soft, especially the closer a player gets to one. Switches look like they're made of cotton wool. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the original textures all being saved at resolutions of 72dpi, but is there any way of including a progressive sharpening routine in one of the upcoming versions pof ZDoomGL to compensate for this effect?

Um, it's called bilinear texture filtering. It's a feature :P To get back to the old unfiltered textures go into the console and type "gl_texture_mode gl_nearest" (without the quotes).

Thanks, Boris, but I was hoping for a means that might be implemented in a future release of ZDoomGL that could take the already bilinear texture filtered graphics and sharpen them, so as to have an end product that maintains the greater realism of the GL version while adding some sharp edges to things that would normally have them. Perhaps the term "subpixilation" is what I'm looking for, or some form of advanced anti-aliasing. Textures close to the viewer need be the only ones affected, since textures at a distance already look very, very good when compared to their non-GL processed counterparts. I suppose Timmie would be the logical person to approach about this. But thanks for your input, although I won't need to use the command line string you gave me since I have both ZDoom and ZDoomGL loaded on my machine (in separate folders). Happy Dooming!

timmie has expressed interest in the past about including one of the filtering methods commonly found in emulators (2xSAI, etc), which would help with this. PRBoom 2.3 beat him to it, so you could check out that in the meantime.

By the way, does anyone know if PRBoom 2.3 will use the fancy filtering in openGL? I can't check on this machine.