Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChrisC

Wadauthor / latest zdoom/ tx

Hey everyone,
I'm just getting back to working on my levels since last spring and a few things have come up that i'm not up to date on. First, id like to upgrade to the newest version od zdoom from 1.23 i think. I've been reading a few posts about this new texture sysyem and i have no idea what it is or how it might affect wadauthor which i use and have no plans to change. I use a custom texture wad. can someone explain all this to me? I also read some about this new editor DB. I know i will continue to use wadauthor but it sonds like it would be pretty nice to use Db's 3d mode to place/allign textures, change hiegths. If i build in wadauthor and build the nodes (i use deepbsp) and then put the level in Db will i be able to edit the level? In some posts i read it sounded like there was some incompatibility with some of this new stuff.
Thanks, Chris

WA doesn't support the new texture system (and it never will as it's never updated) but you can still make wads with the new system if you're prepared to tolerate a whole load of bad texture/floor/ceiling bugs in the error checker (you can put any name you want in the texture/flat name boxes and WA will accept it). The stuff will still show up in the game, so it's alright to do that.

So the best thing to do is stick with the existing pnames/texture1 setup, as you can still mix textures/flats/sprites with it.

To reduce the number of 'bugs', you could make a special graphics wad with all the flats in as textures:

1. Copy all the flat graphics from the IWAD into your wad.
2. Use DeePsea's 'auto textures from flats' feature. Include any custom flats you have as well as the iwad ones.
3. Rename all the flats to their correct names in both the patch and texture lists (DeePsea puts a hypen in front of all of them). For STEP1/2, rename the textures what you like as they clash anyway.
4. Remove any duplicate graphics (ie. a texture and flat that are the same graphic - remove the texture version because it may be bigger and the flat version will show up on the walls in WA without bugs)

It takes time (and of course if you add any new flats you'll need to add those in the same way), but it works.

In the more recent ZDoom versions you can now use flats as wall textures and wall textures as flats. You can even use sprites as flats or wall textures.
All level editors should be compatible to each other, after all they're forced to use the same file format. The nodes should not affect an editor at all. AFAIK DB builds it's own nodes for the 3d mode.

Doom Builder uses the configured nodebuilder to build the nodes required for 3D Mode.

If you want to use textures on floors and/or flats on walls in DB, go to configuration (F5 or menu Tools --> Configuration) and check "Mix Textures and Flats resources".

Ok, everything sounds good. So for the most part things are the same and everything will still work ok as i've been doing it but now i can use a flat for a texture and texture for a flat but of course wadauthors error checker will pick it up as an error.

Since flats are drawn on 64x64 grid how will a 64x128 texture be drawn as a flat?

So bouncing back and forth between wadauthor and DB and having DB build the nodes for 3d mode isn't a problem? Is DBs node builder any good esp. for large levels? I've been useing deepbsp for years cause i never have problems with it and my level is about 2 meg big right now.
Chris

I never got deepbsp to work in Doom Builder, but AFAIK you can use any other nodebuilder you like, as long as you configure its parameters correctly.

Since flats are drawn on 64x64 grid how will a 64x128 texture be drawn as a flat?

Then its drawn as if its on 64x128 grid.

I use WadAuthor to make the stairs and stuff i need for my levels because its really easy but i use DB to align the textures and make windows and the like and i haven't had any problems.