Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sir Sapo

Scrolling ceilings

Is there anyway to get the ceiling texture to scroll? I have looked and i cant find out how or even if you can.

Wow, I never thought about how cool that would be.
I think the Doom engine would allow it, because if the floors can scroll why not the ceiling?
You can make paralyx floors, so...

This is from the Legacy Boomref doc concerning Boom Linetype 250

250 -- Scroll Tagged Ceiling

The ceiling of the tagged sector scrolls in the direction of the linedef trigger, 1 unit per frame for each 32 units of linedef trigger length. Objects attached to the ceiling do not move.

Ya, i just thought it would be cool if you have like a level or something where you go outside and it looks like tons of planes, or dropships are flying overhead. That would be pretty cool, and thx doom dude for the info.

BTW, if you've ever wondered why the BOOM team didn't make a "carry things" variant of the ceiling scroller, it's because objects don't experience any friction against ceilings in DOOM (and making them do so would be rather complicated). So if you start a thing hanging off the ceiling moving, it'll continue to move around until it hits a wall (and if it happens to have the MBF BOUNCY flag, it'll bounce around like an air hockey puck).

Sir Sapo said:

Ya, i just thought it would be cool if you have like a level or something where you go outside and it looks like tons of planes, or dropships are flying overhead. That would be pretty cool, and thx doom dude for the info.

You can use ZDoom's skyboxes and put flying sprites in the skybox sector. This could create an effect like on Quake2's map01.

You can use ZDoom's skyboxes and put flying sprites in the skybox sector. This could create an effect like on Quake2's map01.

That ship that flys past the windows in Q2 is pretty neat. That would be interesting to see in a Doom map.

Sir Sapo said:

Thats cool, so i just have to make a ship sprite and place it in a skybox?

Yes you can. You can do even a lot more with skyboxes. The best example I know of you can see in Map21 of Daedalus. Just start the level, look out of the window and be impressed (I won't spoil it here.)