Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomDiz

Bridges in ZDoom

How do i make bridges in zdoom? specifically the kind you can walk both over AND under. I got the over part solved using a decorate lump, but i can't figure out how to make it so you can go under, too.
I use Zdoom, Doombuilder, and XWE...if that helps...

ZDoom actually has ivisible bridge things:

Thing #5056: 8x8 bridge
Thing #5064: 16x16 bridge
Thing #5061: 32x32 bridge
Thing #9990: variable sized bridge

the variable sized bridge takes two parameters:
1. radius of the thing
2. thickness of the thing

DoomDiz said:

How do i make bridges in zdoom? specifically the kind you can walk both over AND under. I got the over part solved using a decorate lump, but i can't figure out how to make it so you can go under, too.
I use Zdoom, Doombuilder, and XWE...if that helps...

If you're using Doom Builer you'll need to add the bridges manually to the configuration file. I have my own CyberDemon.cfg that has all of my added things as well so I don't have any problem editing my maps.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Boris, would it be possible using Zdoom to recreate the Doom 64 bridges?

Well, I don't know the Doom 64 bridges. You can't make "solid" bridges though (like in Legacy, EDGE or Vavoom). A common thing to do is to use the invisible bridge things in combination with 2-sided middle textures and the y-offset. A good example is the K² bridge. However, you don't have to create/modify the existing things, as you can now use the invisible bridge things.

Well, the Doom 64 bridges used pseudo 3-d to be like real bridges. Check out the Doom 64 TC, where he used a trick to get the effect to look real, but be impossible for multiplayer.

Well, I'm not going to look through all of Doom64 TC just to find one of those bridges. But since you say that it doesn't work in multiplayer maybe they are simple using raising and lowering floors? You can even do that in doom.exe, although Boom and (for example) ZDoom make it a lot easier.
The idea behind those "bridges" is that you have a floor and/or ceiling lower/raise when the player can't see it, so it will look to him as if there are multi-story buildings. However, with that you can't see both the upper and lower parts at the same time.

boris said:

Well, I'm not going to look through all of Doom64 TC just to find one of those bridges. But since you say that it doesn't work in multiplayer maybe they are simple using raising and lowering floors?

They are. And the XG scripts to move them are an unbelievable mess. I have never seen such a bad scripting format! Aside from a few visual glitches (I never tried but it is possible that the sky might not display properly above those bridges) this stuff is significantly easier to do with a real scripting language like ACS or FraggleScript.