Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Skunkboy Kyle

What is a "hub", how does it work, and will it help me do something?

Anyone remember the old game Startropics? I've been thinking about making a TC of it for Doom, but I always thought "That would never have the same effect the original game had, with the RPG styled elements of going from destination to destination talking to people and solving puzzles/problems." But when I heard about this hub thing... How exactly does it work? Would there be a central level that links all the others? Would this central level be able to have some elements diffrent from the actual game, for instance a 3rd person view? Would I be able to create many interlocking worlds thru many hubs that would all lead to diffrent levels? Would I be able to do something in the hub that would affect a level? Would I be able to do something in the level that would affect the hub? I mean, I would never get the project done, I never do, none of my projects ever get off the ground, BUT... if somehow I got a team of people together to help me with this thing (like that would ever happen) I would love to make a Startropics TC thus I would love to have these questions answered. Thanks in advance!

fp

A hub is like the things in hexen - Several levels linked together, you can go between them and stuff you do on each stays that way.

A hub is basically a bunch of maps grouped together, usually with a central map, and you can go back and forth between them. In Doom, Doom 2, and Heretic, the maps progressed one right after the other, meaning you could not return to E1M1 after you exited to E1M2. In a hub setup, you can. Hexen is the most famous for this because it was the first Doom tpye game to use it. However, ZDoom is mostly based on Hexen, and there are some maps that use the hub setup (Daedalus being the most recent one).

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Answer the following questions.

1. How exactly does it work? Would there be a central level that links all the others?

A central level that links to others is the "conventional" view of a hub (think about a wheel with a central hub and spokes radiating outwards). However, in many games, a hub has come to represent a collection of levels between which a player can move back and forth (without necessarily going through a central level).

2. Would this central level be able to have some elements diffrent from the actual game, for instance a 3rd person view?

It is possible, but not essential, to have a central level do what you have suggested. For example, you can use a central level to provide briefings, display "cut-scenes", etc. Such elements will need to be scripted.

3. Would I be able to create many interlocking worlds thru many hubs that would all lead to diffrent levels?

Yes.

4. Would I be able to do something in the hub that would affect a level? Would I be able to do something in the level that would affect the hub?

Yes, and yes.

insertwackynamehere said:

Quake had hubs too, right?

Quake only had a hub connecting the four episodes. It wasn't a hub in the true sense, as it didn't connect the levels. Once the player entered an episode, there was no way back to the hub until the episode was completed.

Wow, so I could do my Startropics idea. I was thinking about having a 3rd person view that could walk up and talk to people using space that wouldn't be able to attack and learn info, the same way Startropics did.

Its probably possible with scripting, just have 'people' standing there (replacing various scenic items) and when you go near them you activate a linedef around them by walking on it which brings up text, simple scripting. To make it so you 'cant attack them' just keep thier attributes the same as scenery items, so that bullets would just go through, and projectiles wont do any damage