Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Colored sector lighting?

How do you get colored lighting in sectors? Does it require a tagged command?

I think you need to be running a newer sourceport, I'm pretty sure that Legacy allows for colored lighting but i dont know what the tag is.

You need ZDoom, Legacy or Vavoom to have coloured lighting.

I don't know about the other two, but in ZDoom it's generally done through scripting. (it can be done by linedefs also)

Colored sectors and most of the transparent stuff in engines that use software rendering looks shitty. The only coloring done well I have seen so far is in Doom Legacy (OpenGL) with colored lighting (where the color is being used with care, pure red is ugly too!).
This is just my opinion.

Actually Boom does have colored lighting IIRC. I thing Fragfest Initialized used it.

And yes, lighting looks a lot better in OpenGL than in software. Clicky.

boom doesn't really have colored lighting, it has colormaps that can only be used in conjunction with the deep water linedef, and you can't see the coloring if you're standing outside of the sector the color is in

Yes, but in FFi they put translucent lines around the colored sectors that match the sector color.

Yeah, jDoom does, but it has to, since it's programing creates its own colored lighting off of objects. :P It's actualy the best color lighting effect I've seen, since it uses the same ideal behind Vice City's lighting. (Colored lights should blend seemlessly as do the Vice City neons)

boris said:

Yes, but in FFi they put translucent lines around the colored sectors that match the sector color.

well yeah, that's what they did in FFI, but I was speaking more in general about colored lighting in specific, not how to make it work in Boom :P

Gherkin said:

Colored sectors and most of the transparent stuff in engines that use software rendering looks shitty. The only coloring done well I have seen so far is in Doom Legacy (OpenGL) with colored lighting (where the color is being used with care, pure red is ugly too!).
This is just my opinion.

It's true for 8-bit modes, but in 16 and 32-bit modes it looks good.