Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Skunkboy Kyle

Bobby Prince (split)

Sorry to bring back an old topic from six months ago but I didn't want to make my own and have it sent to post hell.

Bobby Prince didn't just do it because of Romero. He's done it his whole video game music career. Take a listen to Duke Nukem 3-d, Doom, anything he helped do the music for, and you'll notice a hell of a lot of simularities. In fact, if you want to notice more, listen to the 3DO versions of Doom songs. Those had some cool influences, since they sound nothing like what Bobby Prince was trying to acomplish and you can see that the arranger listened to. (E1M2, aka The Imps Song as Bobby called it, reminds me of a cross between Devo and Depeche Mode, when the original reminds me of Pantera and Metallica.)

The first time I heard This Love by Pantera I about shit myself. "That's Doom music!" I actualy exclaimed outloud in the middle of class, and no one had any idea what I was talking about. I never noticed any of the others until I found this thread (while searching for a thread where we talked about KMFDM, no less.)
And the Metallica infulences are VERY evident, he didn't just use AiC and Pantera. I must say the Them Bones copy is exact and surprised me for I am a big fan of AiC and never noticed that.

And yes, a HUGE portion of Bobby Princes songs are based on horror movies and action movies scores. Take for example E2M4 aka They're Going To Get You. Bobby's title a hint, this was taken from Salem's Lot. MAP30 aka Opening To Hell gives me A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 flashbacks. So does Doom 1's Endgame, aka Bunny.

Now my point: This is something very common in the industry. I can name a million games that rip off movie themes and music artists. Akira Yamaoka, of Silent Hill fame, has a song that directly rips off The Doors and another one that rips off The Rolling Stones. Hell, even old NES games do. Track 16 from Startropics II reminds me muchly of a The Go Go's song.
And vice versa, of course. E1M7 aka Demons On The Prey reminds me of The Cell, and it was obviously before The Cell, so...

Is this a bad thing? Of course not! It's actualy a good thing, because let's say you're a big Pantera fan, it's 1994, and you've never played Doom. You go over to a friends house to play it. When you get to E3M1 and recognize the Pantera riff, wouldn't you want to buy it? That's part why I fell in love with Silent Hill, because it reminded me so much of the great bands I love to listen to like Nine Inch Nails, Frontline Assembly, etc.

And by the way, Team TNT is guilty of it too. Their stats screen music alone for Evilution brings me memories of Metallica, Phantasm, Hellraiser, and more. And there is what sounds like a definite Misfits cover in MAP01 of Evilution, but I can't remember the name of the song. MAP04 is like the Phantasm theme mixed with something else, it sounds like a horror movie, maybe a horror game, but it's VERY familar. Although Evilution's music is more of a impression or influence of a song than a straight cover or ripoff, like some of Bobby Prince's songs, it's still evident.

So there you have it, my whole look on things regarding the issue.
I knew Bobby Prince was a theif with This Love but I didn't know it spread. Thanks for the insight!

I'm almost positive "Floods" by pantera is in doom also. I forget which map I suspected it of though, but I always knew that either id liscenced (to some degree) pantera/slayer (didn't know of the other bands - ac/dc was an interesting one) - or ripped their music off/whatever.

Since the topic's revived and I'm actually posting here now lol, can anyone confirm floods being a track used in doom's music?

the_Danarchist said:

Waterworld (the music to E1M4 in Duke 3d) sounds very similar to KMFDM - Virus (Dub). Not sure if this is a coincidence or what.

One of the music tracks in Duke Nukem 3D was definately a remix of the Mission Impossible theme, and I'm pretty sure at least some of the other DN3D tracks are also remixes.

Oh, the "Joke" levels... yeah, the first level of Atomic Edition of DN3D was based on the movie Mission Impossible. So is the theme to Terminator, and all the other films AE spoofed.

Oh, and Bobby might have been responsible, he was one of the musical geniuses behind DN3D's music. I think there was also another person but I'm too lazy to find my copy of DN3D and find out. :P

no need to bump a 6-month thread, so I split it. I also think you over-estimate what it takes to get post helled; this is fine :)

I just took a thorough listen to Evilution MAP01, and I can't hear anything that barely resembles any Misfits songs.

And yes, Bobby Prince is a filthy thief.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Oh, and Bobby might have been responsible, he was one of the musical geniuses behind DN3D's music. I think there was also another person but I'm too lazy to find my copy of DN3D and find out. :P

Lee Jackson did most of the stuff for Duke3D. And most of the good tracks were Jackson's.

I know for a fact that Prince did Waterworld because you can download it off of his website... :P

Death - Might be thinking of Kennedy's then. It reminds me of some 70-80's punk band, damnit.