Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EarthQuake

Help with Dehacked

ARGH! ITS JUST SO FRUSTRATING!!@@# I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START!1

...I'm in a rather frustrating mood right now, so I may seem a bit incoherent... I'm trying to learn the basics of dehacked, but I've got some problems on hand:

First off, since I'm running XP, the program keeps crashing on me when I go into certain parts of it. Is there some way I can learn how to write dehacked patches from within notepad?

Second, I'm not sure if dehacked will do what I need it to do. I need to make duplicates of weapons, three in fact, without replacing anything in Doom II. That's not possible is it? They have to replace something, right? I was told that I should replace heretic/hexen weapons with modified versions thereof, but I've never seen these hexen/heretic weapons in Doom before.

Third, how can I add (not replace) monsters from heretic/hexen? I've been told this can be done with dehacked, but again, must something be replaced?

...I have many more questions, but I'll hold them off for a while.
Thanks for being so patient with me.

Are you using DeHackEd? I'd suggest using WhackEd on XP, since that OS is generally unable to run DOS programs properly. As for adding things without replacing; Doom has a limited number of things (decorations, guns, monsters, items), so you're gonna have to remove something to add something new. It also has a limited number of frames to work with, and a limited number of weapon slots.

Actually, you seem to be referring to ZDoom, or some source mod like that, by the presumed features you're asking about (a mixup with Heretic/Hexen and whatnot.)

Yea, sorry I forgot to mention that...

I got to the point where dehacked no longer crashes, I just have to be careful not to click on certain things...

I was given a lengthy response in the Zdoom forums, so maybe after trying a few things, I might not be so "in the dark"...
I'll be back after I try some things out.

My thread over there was:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=17387#17387

If anyone could shed some further light, I'd be very pleased.

Argh....
Everyone keeps saying that, but afai can tell, there is not much there that has helped me yet.

EDIT: Heh, I failed again to mention where I currently stand...
I have a fully working monster now, however, it's only a duplicate made to resemble a ghost of a demon. I'm going to attempt to import the gargoyle graphics from heretic and assign them to a lost soul duplicate.

Anyone know of how to add weapons from hexen/heretic/strife?

EarthQuake said:

I'm going to attempt to import the gargoyle graphics from heretic and assign them to a lost soul duplicate.

If you are using ZDoom why don't you use the Heretic Imp directly? Not only will it save a lot of frames but the behavior of it will exactly be like the original.

Although you can't place it directly in the map this isn't really that hard. Just place a map spot, give it a Tid and add the following script to your map:

script 1 OPEN
{
spawnspot("HereticImp",mapspot-tid, angle, 0);
}

Graf Zahl said:

script 1 OPEN
{
spawnspot("HereticImp",mapspot-tid, angle, 0);
}

Slight correction on that.

script 1 OPEN
{
   spawnspot ("HereticImp", MapSpot, TIDofSpawnedThing (usually 0), Angle);
}

Oh wow, that's how you do it.
Through scripting. I thought was was some kind of thing number.

Heh, okay well...I can do that :]

Does anyone know anyting about keyconf lump and the weapon slots?

cyber-menace said:

Slight correction on that.

script 1 OPEN
{
   spawnspot ("HereticImp", MapSpot, TIDofSpawnedThing (usually 0), Angle);
}

Sorry, it appears I got the last two arguments swapped... :-(

Uhhh? Wait, what is this TIDofSpawnedThing?
Is it an actual thing in the map? (or just set it to 0?)

EDIT: Well, it doesn't matter anyways...
I compile the script and insert it into the map, but it doesn't do anything. I've eve n tried simple things like printing messages, but they never appear.

What activates the script? I thought the word "OPEN" made it execute upon the level starting...

So far, I have:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN
{
   spawnspot ("HereticImp", 10, 0, 0);
}
...Where 10 is the TID of my mapspot.