Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Daedalus Help & Hints thread

grayman said:

My guess is that I'm supposed to hit the consoles in a particular order, using the symbols on the door switches.

Maybe the emblem outside the door should match the wall inside? Dunno. Never played the game all the way through, actually :)

grayman said:

New question, not previously discussed:

My first entry into Environmental Control leads me to a room w/4 doors which I've opened in no particular order. This reveals consoles that I hit w/no immediate results.

With all 4 doors opened, and all 4 consoles hit, there's nothing else to do, and no way out.

My guess is that I'm supposed to hit the consoles in a particular order, using the symbols on the door switches. But I don't recall gathering any clues prior to this that would tell me in which order to hit things.

??

What Ty said. :)

There are two sets of consoles per room. You can see the obvious set of consoles as you enter each room, but there is also a set along the back wall. Those are the ones you need to activate first. Once you do that, the pattern to complete the puzzle should be apparent. You 'll know you are on the right solution if the the first set of consoles goes all bubbly once you make the correct choice on the "back wall" console(s).

Thanks for the hints. I was used to banging on consoles, but wasn't expecting to have to bang on non-consoles.

I don't see any discussion here about bugs. Should we report them here, or somewhere else? The *.txt files don't mention how to do this.

A question for you Cryonics experts:

I'm supposed to retrieve the microgen from Cryonics, but the access door won't open. I get the message that the "locked door" is opened in the power room in the shuttle bay.

I assume the shuttle bay is the scout bay.

So when I'm over in the scout bay, its power room has no controls to open the Cryonics "locked door".

However, the power room in the Scout/Shuttle _itself_ (which would make it the "shuttle's power room", and not the "shuttle bay's power room") has a console in it that tells me it has overriden the security door in Cryonics. And that regeneration has started, and I should be prepared to battle the freed creatures to get to the microgen I so sorely need.

Now, I know the big door to the right of the telepod in Cryonics is the "Security Door", so I assume _that's_ the door the Shuttle console is talking about. I was hoping it was talking about the access door to the Cryonics microgen.

So I'm sitting in Cryonics, waiting for Regeneration to complete, and still can't get at the microgen. Is "Regeneration" something that's going to take time and I just have to wait for it?

Or am I completely missing something here?

grayman said:

A question for you Cryonics experts:

I'm supposed to retrieve the microgen from Cryonics, but the access door won't open. I get the message that the "locked door" is opened in the power room in the shuttle bay.

I assume the shuttle bay is the scout bay.

So when I'm over in the scout bay, its power room has no controls to open the Cryonics "locked door".

<snip>

Or am I completely missing something here?

Go back to the power room found in the shuttle/scout bay. You missed the access door to an adjacent room that holds the switch you need to activate. You'll know you found the right room if you see armor, a rocket launcher and a handful of rockets.

grayman said:

Thanks for the hints. I was used to banging on consoles, but wasn't expecting to have to bang on non-consoles.

Well, at least they had a wall in front of them :P

I don't see any discussion here about bugs. Should we report them here, or somewhere else? The *.txt files don't mention how to do this.

Unless someone objects, this is as good a place as any. We'll be summarizing them and showing status and such on our web site later in the month, but reporting them here allows us to discuss them in front of other players who may or may not have the same problems. We do not, however, expect to release any updates until there's a final version 2.1 of ZDoom available. At that time we may even provide (and/or solicit) demos too, since it'll be a stable engine.

Bug Report.

In the entry room of the Scout Bay, there's a lift.

After visiting the Shuttle/Scout and clearing the level, I was coming back via the hallway above that lift. The lift was 'down', so I hit the wall button to bring it up. I stepped into the lift after it arrived, and nothing happened. The lift's supposed to automatically drop when you step in. I hit the wall button again, and the lift went UP, taking me with it, and giving me a nice wall of HOM and no way to get out once it had stopped.

I went back in a later session and was unable to reproduce the problem; each time I stepped into the lift, it went down.

grayman said:

Bug Report.

In the entry room of the Scout Bay, there's a lift.
<snip>

Actually that happened to me too once, but I couldn't get it to repeat either so I didn't pursue it. Sounds like we need some blocking lines there when the lift isn't at your level.

Thanks for the report.

Stuck again.

I'm at the launch site, standing next to the ship, which has a red tube and a green tube inserted into it. I assume one is loading cargo and the other is loading fuel. When I step onto the pad below it, I get two messages: "Ship must be refueled" and "Danger fueling system engaged".

I take this to mean that I should wait a while until the ship is refueled, at which point the fuel line will drop off and I can board.

But it's taking a godawful long time. There's no progress indicator, so I don't know how much longer this is going to take.

Am I really supposed to be waiting, or do I have to shut this thing off somehow. I tried going back to the fuel control center and disengaging the fuel pipe from the ship, but when I came back, stepping on the pad told me the ship needed to be refueled.

grayman said:

Stuck again.

I'm at the launch site, standing next to the ship, which has a red tube and a green tube inserted into it. I assume one is loading cargo and the other is loading fuel. When I step onto the pad below it, I get two messages: "Ship must be refueled" and "Danger fueling system engaged".

I take this to mean that I should wait a while until the ship is refueled, at which point the fuel line will drop off and I can board.

But it's taking a godawful long time. There's no progress indicator, so I don't know how much longer this is going to take.

Am I really supposed to be waiting, or do I have to shut this thing off somehow. I tried going back to the fuel control center and disengaging the fuel pipe from the ship, but when I came back, stepping on the pad told me the ship needed to be refueled.

You probably didn't pump the fuel from storage to the fill tanks. Actually, refueling the ship takes several steps:

1. Pump fuel from storage to the fill tanks (find console in area with Megasphere on a tall pole - area is found in the middle of map on northside).

2. Engage fuel lines to ship (you have already done this - area is found in the middle of map on southside).

3. Start fuel pumps - this area is found near the console where you engaged the fuel lines.

4. Once fuel has been pumped (you will receive a message stating this) - disengage the fuel lines.

5. Return to ship and you should "beam" aboard.

Perform the sequence out of order and you will have to begin again IIRC.

PSchmitz said:

You probably didn't pump the fuel from storage to the fill tanks. Actually, refueling the ship takes several steps:

1. Pump fuel from storage to the fill tanks (find console in area with Megasphere on a tall pole - area is found in the middle of map on northside).

2. Engage fuel lines to ship (you have already done this - area is found in the middle of map on southside).

3. Start fuel pumps - this area is found near the console where you engaged the fuel lines.

4. Once fuel has been pumped (you will receive a message stating this) - disengage the fuel lines.

5. Return to ship and you should "beam" aboard.

Perform the sequence out of order and you will have to begin again IIRC.

Ok, pretty complicated. I went back and did things in order. Since you can easily do these out of order, I wonder how anyone gets through it w/o asking. If you do #2 before #1, do you get a message that says you have to first move fuel into the filler tanks? And when you do #1, it says "Primary fuel available", which says nothing about moving fuel from storage into filler tanks, so I wouldn't have figured out that doing that had anything to do with anything.

Anyhoo, I made it all the way through to the end. I wasn't sure what the secret weapon was doing after it did its initial bit. Looks like little pixels were flying out, but with all the mayhem going on, it was tough to see if it was doing any damage.

All in all, it was good. I had no qualms about using god mode when stealth creatures were around, though. I think they violate the old Doom "no sudden unforseeable death" rule, especially when a revenant uncloaks next to you with a rocket in your face, ending everything.

Two more bugs:

1) After landing the escape shuttle and watching the little movie, if you repeatedly hit the console in front of the captain's chair, the console on the right of the captain's chair will rise right up into the ceiling.

2) While wandering around the caverns in Finale, I tried to make the secret weapon active, and got a message explaining why that wasn't going to happen. That's fine, except the pistol kept appearing and disappearing underneath the message. Looks like the code was trying to bring it up, then decided not to, then decided to try again, etc. Only bringing up the chainsaw would stop the cycle.

Good job, and thanks!

I have made it into the first inner control room in engine control, hub #1. This room has an airlock that needs to be docontaminated, but I can't get into Environmental Control area. I have found only one transporter that leads to Environmental Control. It is located in the outer ring of the Engine control area. The transporter is dark and won't function. Please spoil me and tell me where is the switch to activate it?

smithpd said:
I have made it into the first inner control room in engine control, hub #1. This room has an airlock that needs to be docontaminated, but I can't get into Environmental Control area. I have found only one transporter that leads to Environmental Control. It is located in the outer ring of the Engine control area. The transporter is dark and won't function. Please spoil me and tell me where is the switch to activate it?

Look at the posts at the start of this thread. I was stuck at that point too. You need to go the sleeping quarters (crew quarters? I forgot)... Jump into the teleporters and activate all switches (next to the big window) in the four sleeping quarters. These switches open the doors in the central column. Enter the four bedrooms in that central column, and open the double closets in each bedroom... one of them contains a switch, releasing a Baron you need to kill in order to retrieve his pass. This pass opens the door directly in front of the teleporter exit in Engine Control (so, not that other door you already found).

This puzzle has a few problems:
1) Those closets look just like wall identations. I found them merely by accident.
2) The door in Engine Control that is opened by the Baron's pass can easily be mistaken for a wall, plus you are somewhat misled by the messages for that other door (in the reddish part of the outer ring).

After that, you'll need to press the consoles behind that door. One of them starts a decontamination procedure (green lights appearing). Start exploring, and find the moving doors leading to the core. Wait for the opening to widen enough, and enter. Press the switch. Now you can travel further.

Mordeth said:

After that, you'll need to press the consoles behind that door. One of them starts a decontamination procedure (green lights appearing). Start exploring, and find the moving doors leading to the core. Wait for the opening to widen enough, and enter. Press the switch. Now you can travel further.

Thanks, Mordeth. I had already done all that you describe except to find moving doors. I have pressed the console that says decontamination procedure started. However, I can't find any moving doors in the immediate area of engine control. Can you tell me where they are? I will start hunting again everywhere, but I think I have already done that a couple of times, so a further hint to find the moving doors would be welcome.

One thing that is puzzling me is that there is a transporter to Envoronmental Control located within the engine control area, and it is dark and non functional. I get messages in the multi console room saying that I need to switch something in Environmental Control, but I can't get there (yet). Does this come later, after I find the moving doors, or have I missed something in Environmental Control that I have to do now? If the latter, then how do I get that transporter to work?

Thanks again. :)

OK, I scoured the maps as I know them (engineering, sleeping, kitchen, engine) and I found no moving doors other than rotating trash compactors in the garbage area below the kitchen. The trash compactors are protected by a force field I cannot get through. I used all consoles and keypad switches I could get to, and nothing additional happened. I see two consoles behind a force field next to the entry from engineering to the engine arrea. There is a blue soul sphere in there. I cannot open that either. And again, the transporter to Environmental Control is dead. And so am I. Dead in the water. :(

No, go to the Engine Room (map05). The silver door directly in front of you (when first entering the Engine Room, with the forcefield protected room on your left and big windows flashingn yellow lights in front) can be opened by the Baron's pass. The next door can be opened by decontaminating it first (green lights appear, takes a while). After this door, turn left and follow the ring (doors can be opened by the console next to them). You're now in the inner ring directly surrounding the actual engine cores. In one damaged section of this ring you'll find those moving doors. Enter, press switch.

Thanks again Mordeth. I got it this time. I was confused by two things. One is that the decontamination process took so long and then, evidently, it reverts to contaminated again. So you have to hang around the door switch for just the right amount of time to open it. Second, I kept receiving the message that I needed to go to Environmental Control to do something, but I could not go there. Now I am on my way to EC. :)

EDIT: I finished hub 1 on skill 3 with 194 health, 200 armor, 100 kills, 100 items, and 100 secrets. :) Time sucked. Took five days and about 20 hours total (a lot of it in running around lost), and I am 1/4 through. Plenty of entertainment value, but some of the puzzles are difficult. I really enjoyed it overall. Thanks, Team TNT!

And I'm stuck again. Hub 2, Cryogenics, big green door with four red thingies on it. I'm pretty sure I need to go through that because it was hinted that a third missing microgen is there. I've travelled everywhere else. I'm gettting one hint: a switch inside the scout ship.

Is the scout ship that greenish thingie in the scout bay level? If so, how the hell do I enter it?

[edit] And again: those puzzles are way too obscure. No way would I have found that microgen inside that box if it weren't for the hints in this thread to shoot at the red boxes.

Mordeth said:

And I'm stuck again. Hub 2, Cryogenics, big green door with four red thingies on it. I'm pretty sure I need to go through that because it was hinted that a third missing microgen is there. I've travelled everywhere else. I'm gettting one hint: a switch inside the scout ship.

Is the scout ship that greenish thingie in the scout bay level? If so, how the hell do I enter it?

[edit] And again: those puzzles are way to obscure. No way would I have found that microgen inside that box if it weren't for the hints in this thread to shoot at the red boxes.

The "hatch" is on top of the ship, thanks to script-faked ROR.

Ultraviolet said:
The "hatch" is on top of the ship, thanks to script-faked ROR.

How about MARKING that hatch so I can RECOGNISE it when STOMPING ALL OVER THAT FUCKING SHIP looking for a WAY IN.

And I used to worry that the blue switch puzzle in Mordeth map03 was too hard. DAMMIT.

When/if there's a patch coming out for Daedalus, some people might want to consider to (at least) update the scripted messages to give better clues as what to do. Like, "one spare microgen is last seen shipped in a red crate". Browsing this thread should give you ample examples of stuff that gets your typical player stuck.

I made it through hub #2 without hints from the forum. I'm not saying it is easy -- just that it is possible. In fact it is very hard, and I just stumbled around blindly until I eventually found everything. I agree with Mordeth that better hints in the game would make it more fun.

I almost ran out of ammo in this hub even though I went into it with quite a lot. I found the target range and some other stashes fairly late in the game. I was down to using my chain saw on all but the worst monsters. I felt that I could not afford to kill the monsters in the cryo area so I just ran for it. Probably the best tactic anyway. At the end, my stats were 0 kills and 0 items, although it seemed like I got hundreds of each.

In spite of my complaints, I am enjoying Daedalus a lot. :)

Ultraviolet said:

So what does the excess fuel burn-off do?

At one time, if you didn't burn off the excess fuel and disengage the fuel line, a fire would start in the immediate area of the spaceship, causing player damage. The fire was time limited. But without visible "flames", it was difficult to detemine what was causing the damage. That part was dropped although the message the player receives from the console was not.

grayman said:

Ok, pretty complicated. I went back and did things in order. Since you can easily do these out of order, I wonder how anyone gets through it w/o asking. If you do #2 before #1, do you get a message that says you have to first move fuel into the filler tanks? And when you do #1, it says "Primary fuel available", which says nothing about moving fuel from storage into filler tanks, so I wouldn't have figured out that doing that had anything to do with anything.[B]

Yes, it's trial by error, but you do receive messages if the order is not correct - although they are not explicit. In your example, if you do step #2 before #1, you receive a message that fuel is not available.

[B] Anyhoo, I made it all the way through to the end. I wasn't sure what the secret weapon was doing after it did its initial bit. Looks like little pixels were flying out, but with all the mayhem going on, it was tough to see if it was doing any damage.[B]

Well, to tell the truth - I haven't played the Finale using the new weapon yet - I'm still working my way though Hub 4 ATM. But you may want to replay it with godmode on, and check out the weapon's effects.

[B]All in all, it was good. I had no qualms about using god mode when stealth creatures were around, though. I think they violate the old Doom "no sudden unforseeable death" rule, especially when a revenant uncloaks next to you with a rocket in your face, ending everything. [B]

I keep stealth creatures to the weaker monsters - although I'll through in a chaingunner every now and then. Stealth Revs are the personification of evil. :)

Thanks for the bug reports too.

Mordeth said:

How about MARKING that hatch so I can RECOGNISE it when STOMPING ALL OVER THAT FUCKING SHIP looking for a WAY IN.

I agree on this one. Originally you found a teleport to enter the ship, but that changed later in development. In hindsight, a single spot light on the ship's entrance would have been a good visual clue.

smithpd said:

I felt that I could not afford to kill the monsters in the cryo area so I just ran for it. Probably the best tactic anyway. At the end, my stats were 0 kills and 0 items, although it seemed like I got hundreds of each.

A good tactic and one I started using every time I play this map. But once you escape the immediate area, you could have looked out the windows and started a massive monster-fratricide. You can literally generate hundreds of monsters doing this (thanks to the PEs). Usually, all the big guys get killed off and it's only a matter of mopping up the remaining PEs and Lost Souls.

Bug Report (maybe):

Two things, actually.

Bug 1: In the Tunnels level (after you crash) I fell into an area that I assume is quicksand. I fought my way to the edge, and when I got out, I received the message 'runaway script 33 terminated'. Then I started losing health. I'm pretty sure I started losing health because my bio-suit ran out or something, but I cant remember. I accidently saved over the game, so I have no screenshots of that.

Bug 2: I'm in the language labs area and I've gotten the first two passes. I found my way into a room with an archvile and a lot of zombies. I've killed all the zombies but the archvile is just standing there, doing nothing. I can't kill him.

Here's a nice piccy:

http://www.geocities.com/tobester666/goddamnitteamtntiwaitedfaithfullyandnowmylifeisruined.jpg

EDIT: It seems that the archvile doesnt wake up until I enter a telephone booth. Dumb.

Tobester said:

Bug Report (maybe):

EDIT: It seems that the archvile doesnt wake up until I enter a telephone booth. Dumb.

They will also wake up when you shoot them with hitscan weapons IIRC. They are exactly what they appear to be - dormant guards. On reflection, it may have been better to color them gray in order to provide the illusion that they are animating statues (when awaken).

Little Faith said:

It just ocurred to me: You are trusting that email guy quite blindly.

Afterall it seems a bit odd how he/she/it knows so well what is happening around you.

In Massmouth and Massmouth 2 you at least had a face on your helper. Here it's just that creepy smiley.

..or maybe I have just played a bit too much System Shock 2.

Uh. Play the game and see the ending. And you'll see.

I've played this mod so far and all I can say is WOW. I felt sort of stupid when I saw the part about the exploding boxes. I was thinking there was a hidden switch somewhere. :P I can tell Team TNT put a lot of effort into this. :)