Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

strange AND good wads

i know all about stuff like 'the sky may be', etc. but i want to know if there are any wads that are both good AND very bizarre. any suggestions?

Paul Corfiatis' megawad Twilight Zone 2 (twzone2.wad).

Mark Klem's Cringe! has it's moments too, though much of it is just plain bad.

Then there is Lüt's favourite: Realm of the Spider Gods (rsg.wad). Utterly weird level layouts, texture choices and custom sprites, but it both looks and plays amazingly well.

Then there is Grazza's old favourite: Shoreleave (aboocean.wad) and everything else by the same author. Damn fine music too.

I agree on Void.

Clemois was STRANGE. It was very good but it seemed so strange. It had a faux hub system and such and there was things like demon making factories and such... It replaces "Shores Of Hell" in Doom/Ultimate Doom, so get if you can find it.

Good idea for a thread. The good and weird maps are the ones that tend to stick in my mind the longest. Having said that, I'm struggling to think of too many...

Hacx had some weird maps, notably the ones inside a computer or whatever it was supposed to be. Maps 05, 10, 14 and 20, IIRC. You'll know them when you get to them, anyway. I liked them, although they also tend to get a few mentions from those people who contend that Hacx suxz0rz.

Marswar (the subject of a recent demopack) had a few weird ones. For instance, Map28 with all its blue and red lifts and stuff, and odd music to match. Probably less fun to play than Opulent's great demo made it look though. Map16 had a giant floating spoon and a huge wash basin, and not bad gameplay.

ISM (Incredible Shrinking Marine) is a map some people seem to hate, but if you like low-ammo maps, the way the "shrinking" is implemented (more than 7 years before Void) is interesting.

Equinox map10 puts you inside a flying saucer, and everything generally looks pretty alien. Gameplay-wise, if you liked "Hunted" in Plutonia, go for it. :)

For /newstuff Chronicles #153 I uploaded three old wads of varying degrees of weirdness and goodness.

Icarus map05 features upside-down architecture. (I'm pretty sure I played another map recently with a similar theme, but can't remember what it was.) Map20 also features an inversion of on area (i.e. it appears twice, once the right way up, and then upside down).

Pinball2 makes you the ball in a pinball game. Kinda fun.

Casual3 (Casualties of War) is pretty weird, and tough too. Note that it is wrongly listed as a deathmatch-only wad in the archive (link).

Realm of the spider gods!, i remember that, i thought it was pretty cool, with the "neon" revenant, the huge posessed mutilated body that replaces the hellknight, and the jetpack-flying-mini-rocket-launching seargents

Hm, there was this wad i played ages ago that wasnt that good, but i liked it, where it had some mad dehacked work that caused dead shotgun guys to spawn an 'angel' shotgun guy who was really tough to kill, the former humans dropped super shotguns (but still attacked with pistols), the lost souls where replaced by 'clouds' of...stuff which drifted towards the player making an alarm sound, and then exploded, and the pain elemental was a gigantic eye heh

Perhaps Heart, but the other seem pretty normal.

Perhaps one should check out some of Virgil the Doom Poet's stuff. It is also at times pretty surreal (and usually very hard!).

Hm, there was another wad, similar to the one i talked about in the previous post (in that it had lots of gray textures and water) which had replaced the SS guys with "Angels of death", who had been made in some 3D modelling program, and where bright green, with grey wings. It also had 'jetpack imps' who had an MSpaint jetpack on thier backs and exploded when they where killed, in a display of MS spray paint tool, and left behind a foot

Espi said:

They're good, but I wouldn't call them very bizarre.

well, the theme is certainly bizarre if nothing else. and heart certainly hurt my head more than any of the other stuff listed on this thread, especially the betas where she had two of every key did, ugh.

lupinx_resurrected said:

can anyone tell me where i can find ism{incredible shrinking marine}

Generally if someone mentions a wad without giving a link, it's because it is in the Doom Community Archive, which everyone is assumed to know about, and to know how to search.

Quick lesson...

Go to http://www.doomworld.com/idgames.

Click on the "Search" button.

Type "ISM" into the window and click on the "mong" button.

Incredible Shrinking Marine appears at the bottom of the list. Click on that link, and a page appears with information about the wad and a variety of download links.

shameless plug of my contributions to this community:
People said Nimrod is bizarre/strange/weird.
Phobia perhaps?

Nimrod is just hard hehe, but i wouldnt really call it strange...well, i didnt get far enough to see anything strange...

deathbringer said:

well, i didnt get far enough to see anything strange...

Perhaps the voice acting?

Yeah, though, I didn't play far enough either... probably should some day...

I don't know how good it really was, but there was that one PC made by Kick Cola... You fought against the evils of Alpine Spew:) Anybody have a link for it?