Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Cross in E2M1...

What is killing you when you stand inside the cross in E2M1 of doom?
The Zdoom obituary says "Player mutated."

What is killing you?

You're getting burnt. Do no monsters and stand there, you lose health. You're defintely not getting mutated.

I always assumed that standing in that cross damaged you because it was an extremely evil place.

And, ZDoom just says weird stuff when you die from sector damage. It doesn't match up half the time.

I think legacy says "Player dies in super hellslime/strobe hurt", but theres no slime or strobe lights!

or it could just be the level maker decided to make it a damaging sector for fun

The technical and boring explanation: The floor under the inverted cross is marked as a corrosive sector.

The fun and imaginative explanation: This unholy symbol is laden with such dark power that any creature of the light standing within it's design will get hurt by the evil emanations.

In E2M5 there is also an evil visage on a wall that will hurt everyone in it's vicinity.

Little Faith said:

In E2M5 there is also an evil visage on a wall that will hurt everyone in it's vicinity.

Heh, I love that. Man, that level is so twisted and confusing that I usualy get the crap scared out of me at one point or another.

It's because it is a damaging sector. Even though they are usually reserved for slime, blood, lava, or anything else that is meant to be harmful, it can technically be used for anything. It is not "bound" to any specific flat (floor/ceiling texture).

Whatever... sheesh, spam posts... ><

Anyway, I don't like the way it says mutated. No one mutates. I mean, "mutate" is diffrent from dying. If you mutated you grew like a third arm or an extra eyeball or something (right?).

I like melted. It matches all of them. If it said "Player Melted" it would match, because it could be corrosive acid, it could be lava, it could be just the overwhelming idea of being in hell, you still could melt into a skeleton like someone off of Mortal Kombat.

in a few maps standing under a row of lights will do the same. spawning vats is an example.

as it was said before, i think any 'floor' can be a damageing sector.
i think the cross, besides being evil, is kinda ment to keep you on your toes.

Sephiroth said:

as it was said before, i think any 'floor' can be a damageing sector.

You think so, really?

And, ZDoom just says weird stuff when you die from sector damage. It doesn't match up half the time.

That's one of the reasons ZDOOM (and Legacy for that matter) sucks.

Fucking Quake-wannabes.

dr_st said:

That's one of the reasons ZDOOM (and Legacy for that matter) sucks.

Fucking Quake-wannabes.

Guess what, there is a way to get rid of these messages! Saying 'ZDoom sucks' because of something that inconsequential is pathetic, IMHO. I guess you still play Doom in crap-o-vision (a.k.a. 320x200) because anything else is more like Quake than Doom, right?

Graf Zahl said:

Guess what, there is a way to get rid of these messages! Saying 'ZDoom sucks' because of something that inconsequential is pathetic, IMHO. I guess you still play Doom in crap-o-vision (a.k.a. 320x200) because anything else is more like Quake than Doom, right?

I like BOOM, because it's still real DOOM, even though its "crap-o-vision" as you call it. I like JDOOM, which is the complete opposite of "crap-o-vision", because I just like it. I like the simple concept "let's make DOOM with a modern graphical engine". And I don't like ZDOOM's "let's make it into Quake but under Win32" concept, even though 99% of the players believe it to be the best port by far (and maybe it is). I just don't like it. And those messages are a symptom, even though they can naturally be turned off.

dr_st said:

I like BOOM, because it's still real DOOM, even though its "crap-o-vision" as you call it. I like JDOOM, which is the complete opposite of "crap-o-vision", because I just like it. I like the simple concept "let's make DOOM with a modern graphical engine". And I don't like ZDOOM's "let's make it into Quake but under Win32" concept, even though 99% of the players believe it to be the best port by far (and maybe it is). I just don't like it. And those messages are a symptom, even though they can naturally be turned off.

I disagree with your Quake comparison. Adding some simple Quake features isn't bad, especially if they either can be turned off or have to be explicitly added to a map.

Besides:

Quake=suck
ZDoom=great! ;-)

And you can't play all those great ZDoom-only maps with JDoom no matter how good it looks (some people even say it looks too good for Doom.)

Doom looks better than quake anyway, IMO, look at the "fire" in quake, they where so obsessed with 3D models they used a cone with a fire texture on it, not to mention crappy simplistic MD1's (2's?) actually look worse than sprites, unless youre some kind of twat who cant stomach the idea of always having to see someone's feet after they die

PrBoom really feels like Doom, and it's not crap-o-vision..what ever that is.

I think the post was still on topic to about Sephiroth's post from whereon it regressed into a sourceport flaming post.

You must understand Bashe, that game-mechanics wise it is not the cross that does the damage, but the tile of floor directly under it.

The way you make a floor do damage to the player in Doom is to set a certain sector flag to it. It is not in any way tied to any graphic.

When I first played that map way back when, I thought I was being hurt when touching the sides of the cross because the first time through I bumped one side and I took damage. Afterwards when I started mapping I realised it was a sector based thing like these other guys have mentioned. ;)

You wouldn't beleive some of the stuff I've learned from mapping. I used to think that skys were walls that were really far off in the distance, or spheres that surrounded the level, and had a helluva time figuring out they were flats with a special property, and I couldn't make a transparent ceiling that would allow the sky to show through, since I assumed it was already there [shame]. I also thought that textures and flats were interchangable, and some other stuff too, probably.