Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nomad80

PS/2 Mouse doesn't work Doom2

Hi

In Doom 2 my mouse (PS/20 OS win 98 SE) does not work. I tried to configure mouse through launcher, but when playing it does not seem to be detected at all.

Please help to get rid of the problem?

Thanks

or even try using the real game, not Doom95. any default mouse driver will work with the real game.

Just buy another mouse...

But actually, make sure you have the file dmouse.vxd in your windows/system directory or else no mouse will work at all.

Opulent said:

or even try using the real game, not Doom95. any default mouse driver will work with the real game.

But where could you locate a Doom.exe?

(not challenging you... I'd like to know, as it'd be kind of nice in a way to play Doom in its original form, without the help of Doom 95 or a source port)

Check the E2M5 link on my signature, it's got the three latest v1.9 varieties (DOOM II, The Ultimate DOOM and Final DOOM) of the original DOS version. To be precise, here.

Hey - that's really cool!

I'm glad you provided those exes.

OK, OK, I'm a dork. For the sake of everybody who's wondering the same thing, what about making the sound work correctly?

It sounds garbled and scratchy.

I realize I could use a dual boot (I'm using XP)... but you know that would take a lot of effort to setup.

The program that was listed in the sticky thread about this was listed under a broken link.

mje said:

The program that was listed in the sticky thread about this was listed under a broken link.

I presume you mean this sticky thread. Which link was broken? BTW, when I want to test something with Doom2.exe under WinXP, I use PC Speaker for sound effects (crappy but better than silence IMO) - I've had no joy at all with sound emulation programs such as VDMS.

Prboom's Doom2.exe compatibility mode is as close to the original game as you're going to get in XP if you want the sound to work. The emulation gameplay-wise is almost perfect.

mje said:

But you see, the purpose of me even being involved in this thread is to play the ORIGINAL Doom. No source port interferrance.

Theoretically, it SHOULD work in XP, but it doesn't because your sound card manufacturer doesn't provide a driver that is capable of doing the instructions.
IF you have the right sound card, DOOM will play fine(although a bit slow) in XP.
I wouldn't bet on ever fixing that problem though... as it is extremely unlikely that correct drivers would ever be made that could do what you ask.
I haven't heard many good things about VDMSound, Dos emulators, or even Virtual machine programs like VMWare, but I would be interested to hear the results of that if you try them.
You best bet is to dual boot Win98se... that is, IF you don't have XP-only hardware on your machine.(which is becoming more and more common)
otherwise, eBay. Buy yourself a nice Pentium2 pc and a copy of Win98. the 2-button mouse and 14.4 modem come free of charge! :D