Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomDiz

New Ocean-Base WAD!!!

I have a new single map WAD coming out in the next week or two. It will be of a research base under an alien ocean. Alot of the main spaces will be glass and steel "Pods". Should be pretty cool.

Oh, yeah.....You need Zdoom to play this when it comes out....Alot of the "special effects" I used wont run on other ports. Sorry.

Some screenies of what I have so far are @ geocities.com/pdisney2003/waterpics.html

Ok, all foolishness aside, it does sort of resemble Breeding Grounds (E4M2) of Blood (which is a good thing, since I liked that map).

Looks, tastes, smells, and feels interesting. I like that pic, it does look pretty nice. If this is an indication of what the entire level will be like then this could be pretty good.

It looks like a cow and tastes like chicken. Obviously it's a duck with personality problems and anemia.

Looks pretty cool :) And fairly original too. Can't wait to see the finished wad!

Never seen it done well though, but that doesnt mean ive played every underwater research lab wad out there either, so we'll see

now..if only zdoom was a bit more stable for me..maybe i should try it downstairs on the windows 98 computer..

Imo you can't have an underwater research lab without lots lot pretty looking shades of blue, which, for the most part, doom's pallette doesn't have.

Nice screenshots, though :P

AgentSpork said:

Imo you can't have an underwater research lab without lots lot pretty looking shades of blue, which, for the most part, doom's pallette doesn't have.

Nice screenshots, though :P

Yeah, I kno.... I used green for that very reason. At least it still looks good.

I think cleaner silver supports would look a lot better than those rusty bolted metal ones. Cleanliness is important in an underwater lab. :P

I think you could give those green "windows" some thickness by having not just one line, but two, and between them a sector colored green (and then you could have just that small area colored, not the outside part, just incase it's somewhere you don't actually go). That way, when you look at it, it looks like there's a pane of glass more like. Hell, I don't know how well I'm explaining this... somebody could do better I'm sure.

AgentSpork said:

Imo you can't have an underwater research lab without lots of pretty looking shades of blue

No reason why an alien ocean shouldn't be green. You even get some very green-looking lakes on earth (due to sulphur from volcanic activity, apparently).

Grazza said:

No reason why an alien ocean shouldn't be green. You even get some very green-looking lakes on earth (due to sulphur from volcanic activity, apparently).

I wasn't saying the water shouldn't be green, but that the green-tinted window could give the whole area a green tint by itself if the player didn't ever step out into the water, and that a better window effect could be done with two lines and a thin bright area so it would actually look like a pane of glass resting in there...

I considered using colored sectors in the beginning, but I couldn't figure out how to color them, so I went with single paned green windows instead. I'm making sure all the outside views are seen thru windows, so the effect is somewhat similar.

By the way, the windows look more realistic in actual gamplay mode. The way the shading moves as the player walks by makes all the difference.

Grazza said:

...You even get some very green-looking lakes on earth (due to sulphur from volcanic activity, apparently).

blah, blah... we have new mister Cousteau (duuno if I'm spelling the name right, you know, the guy from the TV show about ocean science...):D

and DoomDiz, about coloured sectors. You mean the "coloured lightning" or the "coloured... everything?"
Hell, the difference is that in "coloured lightning" you have only floor, ceiling, and available sector walls coloured, not the "air" between them. You can do that by using... let's say ZETH's "sector modifiers"->"set colour"... it's a trigger, just like open_door and somethin'

Answer what kind of colour you need, so that I could help you...

I dunno.....whatever UltraViolet was blabbing about. It probably doesn't matter too much at this point, seeing as how the level is 70 percent done and I dont want to change all the windows...

Oh, and I cant run ZETH on my comp. It hates XP Pro...

your bad, DoomDiz.

ZETH is very quick... I make maps within 2-3 days of hard work. Though it's a bit unstable on Windows (I use 98 SE), but I've learnt already all it's... drabacks, and how to avoid crashes...

Anyways, can't wait to see thy map, DoomDiz.

Nice, but that glass really should be able to block all those projectiles.