Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

What was your opinion of Doom E4 on Ultra Violence?

It used to be pretty tough, but by the standards we have today, it's a cakewalk. It's the toughest episode to complete in Nightmare skill though (4, 1, 2, 3 is the order of difficulty of the episodes in skill 5, IMO, from toughest to easiest).

Not too hard, really. As long as you don't fly through the episode like you're Superman, you'll be fine.

I used to think it was ridiculously hard, but once I cleared alien vendetta on UV I decided to go back and play it. I've found that it's actually pretty easy if you're careful and don't do stupid stuff. However getting 100% kills on the first level, now that's a real bitch.

I always like taking a long break from Doom (a few months) and spending that time playing other games like Quake III.

When I come back to Doom I'm always AMAZED at how much easier it is after conditioning myself to survive QIIIA on Hardcore.

I mean - QIII isn't that big of a deal to me anymore, difficulty-wise (except Xaero... that guy is HARD on Hardcore and Nightmare). But excelling at the highest two difficulties is FAR more difficult than pretty much anything in Doom on Ultra Violence.

The first level is insane. But if you manage to get through it with sufficient health the rest of the episode isn't that hard. Sure, compared to E1-3 or most of Doom 2 it's a lot more challenging but today there's so many levels that are much harder.

I'm at E4M6. This episode isn't too terribly hard, only the first two levels were extremely difficult.

I hate Cybies. There are too many in E4.

Bashe said:

I'm at E4M6. This episode isn't too terribly hard, only the first two levels were extremely difficult.

I hate Cybies. There are too many in E4.

There are 2, to be exact. The one in E4M2 can be easily telefragged and for the one in E4M6 there is an invulnerability nearby and you should already have the BFG. Both of them are no real problem.

That cybie can be telefragged!? Dammit! I wasted time and cells shooting at it with plasma! Damn!

I beat it by positioning myself so it can't hit me but I can and I plasma'ed him to death.

Bashe said:

That cybie can be telefragged!? Dammit! I wasted time and cells shooting at it with plasma! Damn!

It's rather simple: If you go up to where he is a teleporter in the center of the level opens. That teleports you right into the cyberdemon (and lets you get a nice fat BFO9000!) It's one of my favorite secrets in Doom 1 because of the nice rewards you get! ;-)

I found E4M1 to be extremely difficult, and every level after that to be quite easy.

Graf Zahl: That is a damn fine example of a secret. Probably the best I've heard of actually.... I like the risk->reward element.

I haven't played E4 in a day or so now. Still, its kinda tough.
I'm pretty good at Doom, I mean, I beat every episode on UV just a week and a couple of days ago.

I guess I can do nightmare next.

OFF TOPIC: OMG my friend touched me with that "game" Cranium. I almost puked. I took a shower, cleaning all parts of my body (and I mean ALL), I brushed the hell out of my teeth and flossed, I combed my hair, and put on my dad's deoderant. i felt so clean. Right now I'm wearing my Spongebob shirt with Patrick that says "I'm bored."
If he ever touches me with Cranium again, you can expect the same.

Sorry about that off topic post.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Graf Zahl: That is a damn fine example of a secret. Probably the best I've heard of actually.... I like the risk->reward element.

I can understand the reward, but where's the risk?

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I thought he meant right up in front of the cyber, to the little wall he's behind.

No, just up to the area in front of it - a place where you have to go anyway. There is absolutely no additional risk but the reward is still great! ;-)

SON OF A BITCH!

I forgot to save the whole time I played!
I'm still at E4M2! NOOOOOOOOOO! I was getting far!

I did the same thing in Doom 2 when I forgot to save in level 20.

I always thought E4M1 was too hard for the first map of a new Episode. Otherwise the other maps were fine.
(They shoulda done a little more playtesting for Secret scores, tho, IMHO. :)

Actually E4's difficulty goes up and down like a yo-yo. It should have started off hard, and then gotten progressively worse as the episode went on, IMO.

Manga Girl Marchelle said:

IMO means? oh and uh, UV on E4, is insane the first time. but once you;ve beaten it, it's time to go to nightmare and have over 20 respawing lost souls or cacodemons biting at your ass...

I love you Manga Girl Marchelle! May I be the daughter of your children?!