Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

boot sector

i have trouble with my boot sector on my new server. i just installed linux but when i boot up it says "unable to boot" i have seen this on older systems before. any help on how to fix this would help me out

"unable to boot" can mean plenty of things are wrong, unless it's actually saying the boot sector is bad. If you have partition magic or norton disk doctor I could help a little.

i have trouble with my boot sector on my new server. i just installed linux but when i boot up it says "unable to boot" i have seen this on older systems before. any help on how to fix this would help me out

Make sure you installed lilo...

Fuck Lilo, use Grub. If you must use Linux anyway, stay the hell away from Lilo.

Fuck Partition Magic, it's totally worthless. Norton Disk Doctor is okay. If your /mbr is really bad you could always:

fdisk /mbr

to rebuild it. That might help.

*gasp*

And you call yourself a nerd!!! For shame!

Anyway, I got this new keyboard/usb hub dealie and it works great. It has two plugs on the end of it, I was actually expecting just a USB plug.

What's wrong with lilo? If it fucked up your computer and didn't fuck up anyone else's, then it's probably not lilo's fault.

I've heard other people bitching about Lilo too. I've never heard anyone bitch aboug Grub.