Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile1011

Sounds

I'm getting into advanced Doom editting and am trying to learn how to use ambient sounds and custom platform sounds. To some degree I've succeeded, but I have questions which have probably been answered, but I'm lazy and don't feel like searching the entire forum.

What utility should I use to import new sounds? Wintex doesn't seem to work right: it only lets you replace sounds already in the IWAD, and only supports mono sound. I assume modern source ports can have stereo quality sounds? Every other utility on Doomworld seems even older than wintex, so I'm guessing what I'm looking for might not be linked here. I think DeepSea can do this, but I can't figure out how(all I see is a "browse WAV" option in one of the menus, but it doesn't seem to do anything once a sound is opened).

Thank you for your help. In thanks I'll try not to aim directly at you when going on a rocket shooting spree.

XWE is newer than Wintex and a lot less tricky than deepsea. just load up whatever wad, then go Entry->Load, select the sound, hit OK, and you should be good.

Mono sound?
If you are talking about the quality of Doom sounds, then mono is as far as you can go in staying compatible with vanilla Doom. Zdoom will let you use any sound, but IMO, they all sound like 11Kz Mono when inserted.

With deepsea, goto File >> Save/Edit/Import Lump and click the button that says "Import Files into Pwad"
Choose your destination wad and your lump you want to insert, then click "Import All"

NOTE: The Import menu is in the Edit menu in earlier versions of Deep.

EDIT: Ahh, you beat me, SargeBaldy.

Stereo sounds have absolutely no use in a 3D-game. Each sound is positioned in the 3D-world and the output do the different speakers is adjusted accordingly. In other words, the stereo effect is computed on the fly and a real stereo sound can't be used well in such a context. It has to be converted to mono first for any positional sound output. The only exception would be global ambient sounds but I have no idea how those are handled by most source ports (if they support it.)

EarthQuake said:

Zdoom will let you use any sound, but IMO, they all sound like 11Kz Mono when inserted.

Only if the master sample rate is set to 11kHz. If it is set to 44 kHz sounds with a higher frequency sound better. AFAIK there are even a few 22kHz sounds in Doom.wad or Doom2.wad.

EarthQuake said:

but IMO, they all sound like 11Kz Mono when inserted.

If you use WinTex it WILL convert them to 11KHz. XWE won't do that, and ZDoom will, as Graf said, play sounds up to the sample rate set in ZDoom.

sargebaldy said:

XWE is newer than Wintex and a lot less tricky than deepsea. just load up whatever wad, then go Entry->Load, select the sound, hit OK, and you should be good.

Oh awesome, I already have XWE. Didn't know it could do that. Does it make toast too?

Stereo sound isn't a huge issue, I just want the sound quality to be good.