Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Can't download Daedalus

I've tried three times to download Daedalus. The only mirror I can find is the 3darchives.in-span.net one. Each time, the ZIP completes with the CRC (cyclic redundancy check) at the end of the file set at 0x00000000. Windows says it's an invalid archive, and WinRAR is able to open it but not otherwise extract it in any useful way.

I've tried this from two distinct geographical locations, and both times the same bit at the end of the file won't download.

oh the irony

Ty spends all this time making sure everyone else's uploads and zips aren't broken only to have his own be busted

Same thing happened to me the other day when I tried downloading it (and a big download it was, on a 56k).

I have no problem downloading it from in-span.net, and the zip checks out fine on the 3dgamers host.

If you're using FTP, be sure it's in binary (image) mode--other than that I have no idea what's up. Lots of successful downloads (I don't have stats on the mirrors, unfortunately).

Exact size of the downloaded zip file should be 19,776,228 bytes, or you didn't download it successfully/correctly.

I downloaded it successfully from teamtnt.com. Again, three separate downloads from in-span from two different ISP's resulted in the same no-CRC error.

AndrewB said:
The only mirror I can find is the 3darchives.in-span.net one.

Why? After all this time I'm assuming you'd know about the other 3D Gamers DOOM Archive mirrors... and they always show up when the Hall of Mirrors script is used on the /newstuff Chronicles.

Also, were you using a download client or manager with resuming capabilities? You should either look for another mirror or use such a client if you get disconnected or get an otherwise invalid file.

Yes, I was using Star Downloader in case of disconnects, being that I'm on 56k over the holidays.

I didn't mention that because I didn't want to get "don't use downloader programs" as the only responses.

AndrewB said:

I downloaded it successfully from teamtnt.com.

However, I'm providing it there as an HTTP download, whereas the archives are FTP. I'd double-check that there's not some odd thing about using FTP download in your case. Also, if you still have one of the old "bad" files around, it might be interesting to know the file size--I can quite easily tell if it's a binary vs. ascii download error.

The size of the bad ZIP from in-span is 19,776,228 bytes. The size from the good TeamTNT file is also 19,776,228 bytes.

And I suppose I could try downloading another FTP file to see if that has something to do with it.

There's been a similar issue here. Note that this other file wasn't either on the Archive nor going by FTP. But just like in this case a couple of people had the error while the others didn't... maybe it's due to corruption somewhere along the transfer route.

The first time I tried to download it was from a 3darchives.in-span.net link. It said the download was complete, but the zip was only 15MB. So I went directly to the FTP site to try again. Same thing, except this time I got an error message saying the server was reset.

I'm on 56k and I wasn't using any downloader programs. Never had any problems before.

MadButcher: As for the 15MB = complete, I've seen things report "complete" when they timed out before; not sure what's up with that but at least your file size differed so you knew there was something wrong.

AndrewB, Myk: I suppose proxy server caching along the route could explain why multiple consecutive failures could occur to the same site but still allow success when getting the file from a different site. I'm not sure how FTP packets get cached but it's probably not at the whole-file level, so perhaps a single packet being corrupt could cause it. For HTTP, you could do a forced refresh (Ctrl+F5 in IE) and make the proxy cache refresh itself, but I don't know of any equivalent action in FTP.

Then again this isn't my area of expertise by a long shot...

I think I'll just leave the link on teamtnt.com up. Most people get it from the mirrors anyway but it's a nice alternative option.